I am a runner damn it!!! Rant

Options

Replies

• Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, unless you do it in a competitive environment, you're not any thing.

i swim, bike, and run, but until i actually compete in a triathlon, i can't call myself a triathlete.

i would take my Mustang to the local race track and compete against other drivers all the time. my brother would say he's a racer too. i would tell him he isn't, because speeding down the highway in your Jetta isn't racing.

Sorry, but that's moronic. I've never driven on a race track, but I'm still a driver. The OP isn't saying she's a "racer" or a "competitor" which is what you're equating it to. She's a runner.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's simple really.

You run. So you're a runner.

They talk. So they're talkers.

^^^^ Could not have said it better myself. I bet running at any pace works off a lot more calories than jibber-jabbering and trying to belittle someone else's exercise.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K program and I'm finding hard to push past 5 minutes. I'm happy to hear that maybe I don't need to. I'll do what I can to be successful. Thanks for the inspiration to keep up my interval running.
  • lightnda
    lightnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite quotes of all time....

"Doesn't matter how slow you are running, you are still lapping those sitting on the couch"

You are definitely a runner as far as I'm concerned.

D.
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I run, I hate it but I do run. I run on my treadmill between November and March because of winter and I run outside whenever I can. Usually I run twice a week and will indulge in a slow long run once every 2 weeks ends.

I run intervals and I have no intention to run “for real”. I like running intervals; I have no plan of running a marathon and couldn’t care less about PR. When people learn that I do run/walk cycles, they act as if I am cheating, not a real runner and ask me when I will run “for real”. It sting when runner ask me that but it makes me want to punch puppies when someone who’s only fitness program is to walk from the puter to the fridge.

I am a runner damn it , not a jogger, not a walker, not a cheater.

Great post. I do the same - no PR goals, no races or medals (and as of now, no running outside... yet). But my dreadmill and I have come to an understanding over the years. I'll do intervals, a slow-as-molasses 5k, a general run/ walk. And I feel f'ing fantastic about it.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I don't take seriously the words of elitist dorks or couch potatoes. If you run, you are a runner.
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow, so even if my speed 'techinically" is a fast walk on MFP but I am doing what I consider a run, i'm a runner???? WHOOOO FLIPPPIN' HOOOOO.

I AM A RUNNER!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, unless you do it in a competitive environment, you're not any thing.

i swim, bike, and run, but until i actually compete in a triathlon, i can't call myself a triathlete.

i would take my Mustang to the local race track and compete against other drivers all the time. my brother would say he's a racer too. i would tell him he isn't, because speeding down the highway in your Jetta isn't racing.

But you would say you're a driver. You're not a professional driver, but if you're driving, you're a driver, not a passenger. If you're running, you're a runner.

As far as walking a little here and there goes, I finished my last race at an average speed of 7mph - about an 8:30 minute mile - and I had walk intervals.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am competitive runner, but I don't like how runners are very judgmental. I don't think it is right. I am also a trainer and instructor, so I am impressed when there is an attempt, any improvement or any effort mad because I still remember the time when I was there at one point and I remember how much it took me to take that first step.

You should be commended for the fact that you keep on running even though you hate it.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - I run intervals too, and I "feel" like a runner. I don't care what anyone says. After 32 years of sitting on my butt, watching it and my waistline expand at the same rate, for me to step on a treadmill and run without killing myself or someone behind me by falling off in a crazy flailing of limbs, then I'm doing better than I've ever done in my life.

I'm a runner - and if you don't think I am, rest assured - one day I WILL BE!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

So by your "logic", unless I compete in a golf tournament, I'm not a golfer? If I don't compete in a meet, I'm not a swimmer? If I'm not on Dancing with the stars, I'm not a dancer? I could go on & on.

Your triathlete analogy is completely inaccurate. The OP isn't saying she's a marathoner, just a runner. I just started running this year, and even though I've never competed in any race, but I'm most definitely a runner.
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options
    wow,Thanks everyone! I'm glad I read this. I feel so much better about my run/walk intervals now. I am a runner. :) And running makes me feel great!
  • bugsymalone521
    Options
    Anyone who judges you on your personal pace or how you decide to run a race needs to take a good look in the mirror. The odds are they're a pretty insecure person. Unfortunately, people like that are more likely to say hurtful things like that over the net rather than if you were in person with them. Just keep on focusing on bettering yourself and pay the ones who don't matter no mind.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If I run to the fridge, can I call myself a runner?

just kidding, Yan...you know I loves ya.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a quote on my ticker that I think is appropriate " Whether its a 14 minute mile or a 7 minute mile, it is still a mile"

If you run, as others have said, you are a runner. Running races or doing marathons is not for everyone, nor does it define what "real" runners are.

Keep on keepin on- and know that haters are gonna hate. So just tell them you live off hater-aid :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If I run to the fridge, can I call myself a runner?

just kidding, Yan...you know I loves ya.
    The fridge does not count but the bathroom does.:bigsmile:
  • gaelyngaelyn
    gaelyngaelyn Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Firstly, interval training is one of the most important ways to improve your running speed, and second (and most importantly) running is a deeply personal thing, and success can only be measured on your own terms. Keep running, get out and enjoy it if you can: the world is beautiful when you have the chance to see it.

this.:)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Following your own logic, this would mean your brother can't even call himself a driver. He may not race, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a competency in driving and regularly drives his car.

Likewise someone who runs regularly but doesn't do running races still has a competency in running. Hell, there are people here who are literally twice as fast as me at running but don't enter races. I enter races but I'm slow. Which of us is the runner?

This is the amateur athletic equivalent of intellectual snobbery.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    after three years of running, i just finally embraced the runner status this year. walking breaks and all. it felt good.

keep up the good work!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Tell those folks to lace up their runners and come to Ottawa May 27th. They'll see pace bunnies for the half marathon for both straight running and run/walk and many of the run/walk times are very close to the 2hr mark. Not real runners???? Let them try and then they can eat their words! :laugh:

I too will be running on May 27th for a half but it will be on Cape Cod, and I will be one of the slow runners, if not walking/running as this will be my first half.

Running is running, no matter how you slice it. So enjoy and feel the need for speed, even if its only 1 minute at a time :happy: