Too poor for weight watchers:( HELP!

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but my wife (successfully) used WW online for many years, but needed to buy all these tools and pay a monthly fee and stuff to figure out these semi-mysterious things called "points", and WW would redefine what a "point" meant every now and again so you had to buy new tools and keep your membership up.

A "point" is nothing more than voodoo math applied to a simple concept called a "calorie", and WW was tuning specific calories to favor some (proteins, complex carbs, etc) over others (fats, sugars). But at the end of the day, they were trying to set a calorie deficit and encourage exercise by awarding points for exercise, etc. But it was all this mysterious voodoo math about what a "point" meant and they'd sue the living crap out of anyone who tried to actually demystify their "points".

MPF uses industry-standard measurements of caloric components. Calories are measured in, well, CALORIES. Protein, fat, etc are measured in easily-accessible formats that happen to match USDA labelling requirements to any average Jane or Joe can easily add to the database. No voodoo required - a pound is about 3500 calories, determine the calories you are burning, make sure you are eating 1,000 fewer of them a day and eating balanced amounts of them from various sources, 2 pounds a week will follow. If it doesn't, your guesses as to your calorie counts are wrong.

No expensive tools, no mystical math, no mystery. Burn more than you eat, lose weight. And the tools are free.

MFP makes their money off the flashing ads you see on the site. As long as you are viewing and occasionally clicking on the ads, they make money. They don't need to invent voodoo math to keep you coming back for more, because their tools are actually useful and teach you about food rather than trying to mystify food to the point where you are dependent on them to figure out how to eat healthy. MFP just wants you to visit the site, and visit it often, so they provide good tools (and this discussion board) to maximize ad impressions and their profits.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    why pay to lose? use MFP, it's totally free and seems to be working for multitudes of people. it just counts calories instead of points. Why pay for something when you get something better for free?
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I can't do apps or anything on my phone:( It seems like it'd be a lot easier to keep track if I could! lol

you don't need the app to be able to do it - you can remember how many calories you have left - and the best thing is that calories are written on everything unlike WW points.
    or you can put everything down the day before and plan your meals which is an effective way for people to not make bad choices with food.
    WW is a rip off. The idea that you need to spend loads of money to eat less and move your own body more is something ive never really 'got'.
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can't do apps or anything on my phone:( It seems like it'd be a lot easier to keep track if I could! lol

It is alot easier on MFP if you have a phone app. Because you can look up something in a restaurant before you eat. But you can also look it up before you go. it is all in the planning. Plan ahead. Know which places you want to eat. By 10:00 a.m., I know what I am planning on eating all day. I don't finish my diary because some things may change but I at least have an idea of what I am having. It helps me stay on track. Weight Watchers is overrated. It would be cheaper for you to go buy a smart phone than to pay for weight watchers each month. Not necessary but that sounds sensible to me. Good luck. :-)
  • neveradullmoment
    Options
    I have done WW and MFP. The last time that I was on WW I took a week and logged EVERYTHING that I ate and drank on to both. And I found that my calorie intake was the same as my WW points! So I stopped paying for WW and am back on MFP only.
  • hailie08
    hailie08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you that actually posted helpful replies or stories, not just telling me to stick with MFP!!!I know the pros and cons of mfp and am looking to add something else to it. I posted this not to have people judge my choice, but to get educated thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

*Be kind to everyone you meet, theyre fighting a battle you know nothing about
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    MFP has helped some, but I like the idea of the point system vs having to find a computer to look up whether I can eat something or not bc I don't have internet on my phone to check all the time.. I've heard of so many people having such great long term success with weight watchers!!!

You'll learn this over time...give yourself some more time with MFP and you will have success :)

Edited to add: you can add me as a friend if you'd like :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    MFP has helped some, but I like the idea of the point system vs having to find a computer to look up whether I can eat something or not bc I don't have internet on my phone to check all the time.. I've heard of so many people having such great long term success with weight watchers!!!

I don't have internet on my phone either, so I enter my food into my diary the night before. This way I know what I will basically be eating for every meal and snack. I don't eat out often, so this really works for me. After a while, you get to know how many calories are in things - especially if you are like me and eat the same things fairly often. I usually have a little wiggle room in my diary - if I end up eating something someone brings to work it doesn't matter too much as long as my portion is small.

I prefer MFP because it allows me to keep track of protein (which I am trying to increase) and saturated fats (which I am trying to keep low).
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    MFP has an app for phones that are easy and all you have to do is scan the barcodes of the food your eating, Its all right there. LOVE THIS SITE and its FREE!

I learn something new on here everyday! I didn't know you could do this!! I must be REALLY slow! LOL. See, way better than weight watchers....:tongue:
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What tools are you looking for? I did WW in 2008, I still have the food companion book,dining out book and calculator,but all are from 2008.I think they have redone the programs since.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but im hearing nothing but excuses....you can preplan your meals! Log it all in the night before. IF THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY! good luck.....in rooting for you.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way I can afford to do weight watchers but Id really like to. Does anyone out there have the stuff and not use is anymore?

been there, done that, this is better, and it's free. Just use the program the way it's designed. You can log food, you can log exercise, you can eat back your exercise calories...just like you do with points. you have a recipe builder here..just like there. And frankly...you learn more about what you are eating on here...Points don't help you with carbs, sodium, protien, fats, what have you...they are just points, and not very helpful.

This is better!!!
  • kballard66
    Options
    I was a big WW fan too, then I happened upon MFP and I'm so glad I did. I have lost just as much weight using MFP and it's all FREE!!! You really don't need WW.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you want to go on the "exchange" diet for WW, a diabetic weight loss diet is very similar in that they also use exchanges. In the past I have been a member of WW and lost the desired weight I wanted to lose. You can find out more at the site below. My ex husband, who I cook for, is diabetic, so I am familiar with this website. They have lots of valuable info for everyone who is trying to eat a healthier diet. Explore a little. It may be what you are looking for.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes-food-and-fitness/carb_counting/diet_and_carb_counting/dietary_exchanges
  • roddi7997
    roddi7997 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP is free and is better...both are really the same concept. track what you eat and don't go over your daily allowance and you will lose weight. It's really just counting Points vs Calories. Either way you have to count what you eat. Another plus with MFP is that you don't have to covert what you are eating into the points system. The calories are the calories.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I can see why it would be difficult to keep track if you don't have a smartphone (I LOVE MY IPHONE). But back in the day before such awesome technology I would keep a journal in my purse at all time and WRITE EVERY SINGLE THING DOWN. There was no database to check calories or points. But commonsense would kick in as I was logging....thinking hmmmm I'm consuming too much!! So a paper journal can definitely help with self control and willpower too!
  • andreaholloman
    andreaholloman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been using WW online since 12/26/2011. I have had wonderful success with it. I have recently discovered MFP and right now, I am doing the two side by side, as a comparison. I am happy to spend the $19/mo for WW, but if I can get the same results for free, then I am all over it.

It has been mentioned that there is an app called Value Diary, that has all the WW info for a one-time $3 pricetag.
  • Jackiales
    Jackiales Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Though snotty! I love this post. It has been my free weight watchers. Please don't get too witty MFP & start charging!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance as I have never done weight watchers .....but how do you know points for foods without looking them up? Also....Sometimes its about making educated choices while you are out....not specific items.....Chicken is good...cream sauces are bad...whole wheat is better than white.....etc...
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My mom is doing WW on her own (with old books from another time) and I'm doing MPF. We both started on Jan. 1st at 180 pounds (I'm 5'11, she's 5'4). We both lost exactly 20 pounds in the exact same time. I'm very close to my goal, she's got a ways to go, but we both did a great job.

I don't have a smart phone. I either plan ahead or if I'm in a situation where I need to eat out I eat what I know I should. Both WW and MFP takes willpower and dedication. Paying for WW doesn't make it magically work better. If you are true to yourself on each plan you will see results. So, no more excuses. Everyone knows how to logically lose weight (get moving and eat right). You just have to do it. Be willing to give up time on the couch and food you'd rather eat. The reward is a healthier body.

Ignore my ticker. It says 4, but that's from a month ago when I decided to change my goal weight...