PASTA!

Options

Replies

• SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    And the OP is gone.......... I'm trying this right before my bootcamp class tonight... we'll see how far I get in my run and core work.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    attack of the fad diets lol
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I hear you can eat all the pasta you want if you do a food tube through your nose.
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hiya - Iv followed SW since January 4th and lost 24 lbs in that time - i eat as much pasta as I want as long as its not fresh x
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Slimming World makes total sense. Why individuals on this site think they know better than the UKs largest and most successful slimming club is baffling arrogance!!! SW far outstrips weightwatchers in the UK. Like all mass-marketed diet plans, however, it has to be based on a a few assumptions. It assumes that those that join are overweight ( usually true!). It assumes that those who are overweight are overweight because they eat too much of the wrong types of food ( also usually true). SW allows followers to freely eat lean meat, fruit and veg, eggs, fat free yoghurts, pasta and potatoes. It dramatically restricts pretty much anything else, including bread, fats, pizza, all processed meals, cheese, all junk - crisps, chocolate, sweets biscuits etc etc Trust me, if you take an overweight person and switch them from a diet of processed foods, fats, pizza, sandwiches, biscuits etc to one of mainly lean meat, pasta , potato, fruit and veg, the weight will fall off them! Slimming World is still calorie control, just packaged in a different way

If that same fat person overeats "as much pasta as he wants", he will still get fatter, and he won't lose weight. It's kind of amusing how this so called "Slimming World" is "UK's largest and most successful". ROFL.

How come the US hasn't bought into this whole thing yet?

It's ridiculous, thats why. It may work for some people (because they inadvertently eat under their TDEE, but it's an ignorant diet to say the least.

If that same fat person overeats "as much pasta as he wants" whilst following the SW plan, then we can safely assume that he was overeating pasta before he started the diet. What he will no longer be overeating, however, is biscuits, chocolate, butter, pizza, burgers, pies, desserts and sandwiches. Hence he loses weight. Not everybody is seeking 10% body fat and physical perfection; some people just want a healthy relationship with food and a healthy body weight. SW is a great way of teaching sensible habits to people who have previously been out of control with their eating.

They have to replace the biscuits, chocolate, butter ... ect with something. They don't just eat a plate of pasta and stop eating, they eat more pasta, i would guess since it's free. I'm nowhere near physically peak anything and I wouldn't eat plates of pasta every day.

Also, it keeps getting pushed that this plan is about forming a healthy relationship with food. I don't think that saying you can eat all the pasta you want but no chocolate, burgers, pies or sandwiches is the best start to obtaining that relationship.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love how not one person (ok, maybe one person) has offered any advice to the OP - I followed SW for 6 months or so and lost just over stone, so it clearly works. I kept the weight off because calorie counting fits in better with my lifestyle.

The claim it's stupid because "it hasn't reached America yet" is, I believe one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. Think before you speak (or type)
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    i eat pasta made from rice, it's luscious
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Slimming World makes total sense. Why individuals on this site think they know better than the UKs largest and most successful slimming club is baffling arrogance!!! SW far outstrips weightwatchers in the UK. Like all mass-marketed diet plans, however, it has to be based on a a few assumptions. It assumes that those that join are overweight ( usually true!). It assumes that those who are overweight are overweight because they eat too much of the wrong types of food ( also usually true). SW allows followers to freely eat lean meat, fruit and veg, eggs, fat free yoghurts, pasta and potatoes. It dramatically restricts pretty much anything else, including bread, fats, pizza, all processed meals, cheese, all junk - crisps, chocolate, sweets biscuits etc etc Trust me, if you take an overweight person and switch them from a diet of processed foods, fats, pizza, sandwiches, biscuits etc to one of mainly lean meat, pasta , potato, fruit and veg, the weight will fall off them! Slimming World is still calorie control, just packaged in a different way

If that same fat person overeats "as much pasta as he wants", he will still get fatter, and he won't lose weight. It's kind of amusing how this so called "Slimming World" is "UK's largest and most successful". ROFL.

How come the US hasn't bought into this whole thing yet?

It's ridiculous, thats why. It may work for some people (because they inadvertently eat under their TDEE, but it's an ignorant diet to say the least.

If that same fat person overeats "as much pasta as he wants" whilst following the SW plan, then we can safely assume that he was overeating pasta before he started the diet. What he will no longer be overeating, however, is biscuits, chocolate, butter, pizza, burgers, pies, desserts and sandwiches. Hence he loses weight. Not everybody is seeking 10% body fat and physical perfection; some people just want a healthy relationship with food and a healthy body weight. SW is a great way of teaching sensible habits to people who have previously been out of control with their eating.

They have to replace the biscuits, chocolate, butter ... ect with something. They don't just eat a plate of pasta and stop eating, they eat more pasta, i would guess since it's free. I'm nowhere near physically peak anything and I wouldn't eat plates of pasta every day.

Also, it keeps getting pushed that this plan is about forming a healthy relationship with food. I don't think that saying you can eat all the pasta you want but no chocolate, burgers, pies or sandwiches is the best start to obtaining that relationship.

OK, If I can remember the plan I'll try to explain

Red days -

Have to have 2 x fibre choices - wholemeal bread, cereal, beans etc
    1 x dairy choice - milk, cheese etc

then unlimited lean meat, veg, salad, most fruit
    everything else has a syn value, like WW points and you can have for example , 10 syns per day
    Plates of food muct be one third veg/salad

Green day (vegetarian) - same 2 choices for fibre/calcium
    free foods are pasta, potatoes, rice, vegetables,fruit etc
    and again - plates of food must be one third veg.salad

I tried it about 18years ago after having my eldest - dropped 3 stone (42lbs) kept it off for a few years, then emotional eating after miscarriages sent me skywards again.

I used to alternate red and green days and enjoyed it.

There's a lot more to it than just *eat as much pasta as you want"
    It's been successful in the UK for over 40years so I don't think it can be called a fad.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I love how not one person (ok, maybe one person) has offered any advice to the OP - I followed SW for 6 months or so and lost just over stone, so it clearly works. I kept the weight off because calorie counting fits in better with my lifestyle.

The claim it's stupid because "it hasn't reached America yet" is, I believe one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. Think before you speak (or typroe)

I'd rather count calories, eat a moderate deficit under my TDEE, and lose close to 50lbs in 6 months instead of 14....WHILE retaining as much LBM as possible.

But hey, whatever.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Red days -

everything else has a syn value, like WW points and you can have for example , 10 syns per day

I tried it about 18years ago after having my eldest - dropped 3 stone (42lbs) kept it off for a few years, then emotional eating after miscarriages sent me skywards again.

It's been successful in the UK for over 40years so I don't think it can be called a fad.

That makes a bit more sense. No one else explained WHAT the program actually is, that's why most people are saying eating pasta all day would just make you fatter.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Wow I want to try that one. I have never heard of being able to eat all of those items on a plan to lose weight. Good luck!
  • Mulliediets
    Options
    I did Slimming World for two weeks and lost 8lbs. I would eat a plate of pasta and chicken stuffed with mozzarella, wrapped in Parma ham for dinner, and be very full up. Plus I was allowed a full portion of takeaway chow mein each day! I didn't believe it would work for a second, but it did. It was unbelievable. The trick is that you're allowed very little alcohol, and very very little fat. But I was allowed limitless meat and pasta, ate till I was full, and lost weight (without exercise, and I was around 140lbs, so not huge).
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Red days -

That makes a bit more sense. No one else explained WHAT the program actually is, that's why most people are saying eating pasta all day would just make you fatter.

Yes now it makes sense. Sounds like its just a way to train you how to eat better. Still has lots of lean protein and veggies.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options

The claim it's stupid because "it hasn't reached America yet" is, I believe one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. Think before you speak (or type)
    This is one time I actually agree with Joe...... so if that's the case he must be right. To the OP, do more research and follow what you think is best for you. The ulitmate test is trial and error or trial and success. Good luck.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Slimming world is AWESOME! I'm not sure how it works...but it does! I guess the idea is you can't actually eat that much pasta and rice and potatoes in one sitting. I have done Slimming world and been VERY successful. I was 4lbs from my goal but then moved from the UK and gained all my weight back on fast food because I didn't have the support group. I have now lost 12lbs using MFP, a totally different way of controling what you eat.

Here is my advice. Pick one or the other. Either follow Slimming world AND go to group every week to get the support which is VERY important OR us MFP to track your calorie intake.

Do not do both, it will drive you crazy!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    -_- . . . just eat the foods you like in moderation. fruits and veggies in their most natural state are best. meats if you aren't a veggie. plenty water. good carbs and fats. not rocket science. too much of anything isn't good for ya.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's sounds like the weight watchers simply filling technique. With simply filling, bread is a free food. You eat until satisfaction, not until you are stuffed. It works for a lot of people. Not for me, because I have no self control. I'll eat until I can't move. ...but that's just me.
  • LUCYRENEE
    LUCYRENEE Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If one can eat all the pasta they want, what is next? Eat all the popcorn you want?? That's the one for me, sign me up!!
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok. So here is the thing. (after reading some more posts I figure I'll help clarify). There are three types of days Red, Green and Extra Easy. I prefered Extra Easy as well, it was Extra Easy.

Extra Easy:
    Free foods - Potatoes, corn, beans, pasta, rice, quinoa, lean meats, fat free milk products (not milk)
    Super Free Foods - Non starchy Fruit and Veg
    A Choice - Milk products (eg. 350ml Skim milk, 250ml 2% milk, 28g cheddar, 42g low fat cheddar etc)
    B Choice - Grains (eg. Bread-1slice (I think), 28g oats etc) and Nuts
    (A and B Choices were ALL weighed and measured)
    Syns - These are your extras, chocolate, alcohol, any A or B choices over your allowance. Everything had a value associated with it.

You can have whatever you want from the free foods as long as with EVERY meal you have 1/3 of your plate is Super Free foods.
    You get 1 A Choice and 1 B Choice. You get between 10-15 Syns a day (2 finger of KitKat is 6 syns, 1oz Vodka is 2.5syns)

Red (original) Days:
    Free Foods: Lean meats and those items listed in the Super Free List.
    A Choice - Milk products (eg. 350ml Skim milk, 250ml 2% milk, 28g cheddar, 42g low fat cheddar etc)
    B Choice - Grains (eg. Bread-1slice (I think), 28g oats etc) and Nuts and starch veg, pasta (28g) (no rice!)

You can eat whatever you want from the free foods list. You get 2 A and 2 B Choices. You get between 10-15 Syns a day.

*Green Days (This is the All you can eat PASTA!):
    Free Foods: Pasta, Rice, Starchy veg and the items listed in the Super Free List.
    B Choice - Grains (eg. Bread-1slice (I think), 28g oats etc) and Nuts and Lean meats (eg. 28g XLean Ground Beef)

You can eat whatever you want from the free foods list. You get 2 A and 2 B choices. You get between 10-15 Syns a day

This really does work but I find I need the support group which is why I am now using MFP. I live in Canada and it isn't here yet. It isn't stupid because it is a calorie controled diet, they've just done it so you don't actually have to count the calories yourself. ;)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    This program sounds so confusing and involved!!