PASTA!

Options

Replies

• Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The claim it's stupid because "it hasn't reached America yet" is, I believe one of the most ridiculous things I have heard.

Agreed, completely and utterly ridiculous statement to make. I'm sure there are slimming and dieting companies the world over that are region specific, it doesn't make one better than the other. People have to find the way that works best for them. If MFP works for you and Slimming World works for someone else, then to call them stupid is, well, stupid.

OP: I don' think MFP and SW are compatible to be honest, due to the allowances for calorie-heavy foods in SW. It sounds like you're over-indulging on the carbs. If you're feeling bloated then you're eating too much of them; listen to your body and cut down. Fill up on more veggies instead, since they're also free. Although as with everything, it's all in moderation. Just because it's a 'free food' doean't mean you should gorge yourself on it! Good luck, whichever plan you choose to follow.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This program sounds so confusing and involved!!

It's really not. You get a book when you join with all the information with it.

Once you get your head round how it works it's great because you don't have to count most of your food.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would say however to the OP that just cut down pasta quantities by 1/3 per meal and filling it with veggies, or weighing it out 75g dry is a portion I believe
  • ErnieM88
    Options
    i suppose if you ONLY ATE TILL YOU FELT FULL, it could work. But who can do that? Not me. I can wolf down pasta like there's no tomorrow............... and i feel full only after i've had a glass of water and it's too dang late. Sounds like basic portion control and eat only when you're hungry type of theory............ which requires alot of self-monitored discipline.

I think you're right, it definitely requires discipline. But lots of people find it a more sustainable plan than calorie counting.

i personally believe that counting calories teaches self-discipline. Most of us gained weight by not practicing portion control and food logging forces you to portion things out. I think that plan would lead to eventual failure for MOST.

Agree. Most people have no clue about actual portion sizes. Eating pasta til your full could mean for some going to Chili's, getting Cajun Chicken Pasta and eating the whole thing, not realizing that it's pretty much a whole days calories. I still have to measure out my pasta portions because if I haven't eaten, my eyes are waaay bigger then my stomach so I eat too fast and by the time I feel anything, I'm stuffed. I HAVE to count my calories or I have no clue what I'm eating some days. I'm not disciplined enough to trust my body to tell me how to eat (I crave anything deep fried ALWAYS) so calorie counting works for me.

Although I agree with the fact that portion control/size is key to this, I can also guarantee that whilst the pasta itself may be "free" the added extras to make the meal into "cajun chicken pasta" certainly wouldn't be
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The claim it's stupid because "it hasn't reached America yet" is, I believe one of the most ridiculous things I have heard.

Agreed, completely and utterly ridiculous statement to make. I'm sure there are slimming and dieting companies the world over that are region specific, it doesn't make one better than the other. People have to find the way that works best for them. If MFP works for you and Slimming World works for someone else, then to call them stupid is, well, stupid.

OP: I don' think MFP and SW are compatible to be honest, due to the allowances for calorie-heavy foods in SW. It sounds like you're over-indulging on the carbs. If you're feeling bloated then you're eating too much of them; listen to your body and cut down. Fill up on more veggies instead, since they're also free. Although as with everything, it's all in moderation. Just because it's a 'free food' doean't mean you should gorge yourself on it! Good luck, whichever plan you choose to follow.

Nah, what's completely and utterly ridiculous is telling people it's ok to just eat as much pasta and potatoes as you can fit into your mouth because "pasta and potatoes are FREE".

Like i said, show me statistics of actual people (20 is a nice round number) of exactly everything they ate, what their TDEE was, and I want to see what weight they lost.
  • ErnieM88
    Options

Nah, what's completely and utterly ridiculous is telling people it's ok to just eat as much pasta and potatoes as you can fit into your mouth because "pasta and potatoes are FREE".

Like i said, show me statistics of actual people (20 is a nice round number) of exactly everything they ate, what their TDEE was, and I want to see what weight they lost.

who are you? The diet police?

ETA: Your ignorance is overwhelming
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    "The claim it's stupid because "it hasn't reached America yet" is, I believe one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. Think before you speak (or type) "

This ^
  • ErnieM88
    Options
    "The claim it's stupid because "it hasn't reached America yet" is, I believe one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. Think before you speak (or type) "

This ^

Of course, America is the centre of the universe....
  • DeadNatchan
    Options
    I lost a tonne of weight with Slimming World back when I was 18 and became very skinny indeed, however, when you stop the diet plan the weight gain is often rapid. I have seen this happen with several friends who lost weight with it, (including myself and my father). I think if you do it properly and are looking for a 'quick-fix' it isn't terrible, but it isn't a realistic lifestyle change that will keep the weight off for life.

Call me old-fashioned, but I really don't think you can beat a simple low calorie/fat diet with exercise regime. I don't use any diet group now and interestingly enough I think I am getting my best (healthiest) results. That said, it has taken me about 15 years to really get the equation right!!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I know someone who has lost about five stone (70lb) through Slimming World. It is very popular here in the UK - there are at least 3 groups that meet within a mile of where I live. I'm not sure if it has a bigger market share than WeightWatchers here, but it's definitely well-known and well-regarded, even if it just some backward British thing that we like to do just to be odd, like hereditary monarchy and driving on the left.

That said, like any other programme - it's largely about learning about food & nutrition. There is no magic cure, and some foods will fill you up and help you lose weight, and others won't. No matter what programme you're following, it all comes down to learning what works for your body, and what doesn't.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure your plate is no more than 2\3 pasta, not piled high either. 75g is a good portion. My mum lost 70lb on slimming world. It didn't work for me as I ate huge portions. Mfp has been much better as I weigh out food and know what a proper portion is. Sounds like you may be having trouble with this if your getting so bloated, so maybe mfp is better for you? Free to! If your problem is what you eat, rather than portions, its a good plan. If your problem is quantity I'd say its not a great plan. Does work for many so don't knock it. My leader had lots 154lbs. I do much prefer mfp personally but that's a personal thing. I would choose one or the other though X
  • Tanimal20
    Options
    Wow, haha, lots of replies to this post!

Thanks for all the different views! Portion control is definitely something I need to get a hang on!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

who are you? The diet police?

ETA: Your ignorance is overwhelming

^^LOL.

It works for Weight Watchers. Although Pasta isn't free, other things are that some on here would consider "bad." Sounds like it works for real people.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Slimming World makes total sense. Why individuals on this site think they know better than the UKs largest and most successful slimming club is baffling arrogance!!! SW far outstrips weightwatchers in the UK. Like all mass-marketed diet plans, however, it has to be based on a a few assumptions. It assumes that those that join are overweight ( usually true!). It assumes that those who are overweight are overweight because they eat too much of the wrong types of food ( also usually true). SW allows followers to freely eat lean meat, fruit and veg, eggs, fat free yoghurts, pasta and potatoes. It dramatically restricts pretty much anything else, including bread, fats, pizza, all processed meals, cheese, all junk - crisps, chocolate, sweets biscuits etc etc Trust me, if you take an overweight person and switch them from a diet of processed foods, fats, pizza, sandwiches, biscuits etc to one of mainly lean meat, pasta , potato, fruit and veg, the weight will fall off them! Slimming World is still calorie control, just packaged in a different way

If that same fat person overeats "as much pasta as he wants", he will still get fatter, and he won't lose weight. It's kind of amusing how this so called "Slimming World" is "UK's largest and most successful". ROFL.

How come the US hasn't bought into this whole thing yet?

It's ridiculous, thats why. It may work for some people (because they inadvertently eat under their TDEE, but it's an ignorant diet to say the least.

If that same fat person overeats "as much pasta as he wants" whilst following the SW plan, then we can safely assume that he was overeating pasta before he started the diet. What he will no longer be overeating, however, is biscuits, chocolate, butter, pizza, burgers, pies, desserts and sandwiches. Hence he loses weight. Not everybody is seeking 10% body fat and physical perfection; some people just want a healthy relationship with food and a healthy body weight. SW is a great way of teaching sensible habits to people who have previously been out of control with their eating.

They have to replace the biscuits, chocolate, butter ... ect with something. They don't just eat a plate of pasta and stop eating, they eat more pasta, i would guess since it's free. I'm nowhere near physically peak anything and I wouldn't eat plates of pasta every day.

Also, it keeps getting pushed that this plan is about forming a healthy relationship with food. I don't think that saying you can eat all the pasta you want but no chocolate, burgers, pies or sandwiches is the best start to obtaining that relationship.

OK, If I can remember the plan I'll try to explain

Red days -

Have to have 2 x fibre choices - wholemeal bread, cereal, beans etc
    1 x dairy choice - milk, cheese etc

then unlimited lean meat, veg, salad, most fruit
    everything else has a syn value, like WW points and you can have for example , 10 syns per day
    Plates of food muct be one third veg/salad

Green day (vegetarian) - same 2 choices for fibre/calcium
    free foods are pasta, potatoes, rice, vegetables,fruit etc
    and again - plates of food must be one third veg.salad

I tried it about 18years ago after having my eldest - dropped 3 stone (42lbs) kept it off for a few years, then emotional eating after miscarriages sent me skywards again.

I used to alternate red and green days and enjoyed it.

There's a lot more to it than just *eat as much pasta as you want"
    It's been successful in the UK for over 40years so I don't think it can be called a fad.

I think that last paragraph is probably hitting the nail on the head. People read "eat as much pasta and potatoes as you want" and go off half c0ck without considering what else might be involved in the plan.

I've never done Slimmingworld, but if the large scale data (on 30k + people) provided in an earlier post are correct, then it looks like it works. I'm sure if you looked at 20 -30 people's detailed diaries, you'd probably see that the free feeding of pasta and spuds isn't as "free" as you'd think, but I think that misses the essence of the diet - the focus isn't really on filling up on them.
  • sheznightingale
    Options
    Slimming world reached America!! That must now mean it actually works! LOL ignorance is infuriating!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It makes no sense to follow this 'pasta diet' and MFP. It's very contradictory, as pasta has a lot of calories.

If it were me, I'd just follow MFP and fit pasta in where I can.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Whoa, I want to follow that diet. I could eat my weight in pasta.

Pasta has loads of calories. I have no idea why they'd have it as a free food. Doesn't make sense to me...

Right?! I could eat all of those foods all the time...
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    All those foods are very high calorie/ high carb foods. You need to be staying in your calorie and nutrition goals that MFP sets. I would never consider those "free foods" and I doubt you will lose weight, and if you do, you will probably be malnourished...
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Interesting
    Slimming World states its eating plan, 'Food Optimising',is a "flexible, empowering, permissive approach to healthy eating". There is little or no weighing and measuring and no calorie counting involved. Food Optimising is purportedly based on the scientific principles of satiety (the satisfying qualities of food) and energy density, and encourages slimmers to fill up on nutritious, low energy dense foods to satisfy their appetite, while limiting consumption of less satisfying, high energy dense foods. Unique to food optimising is the unlimited choice of many 'free foods' which can include lean meat, fish and poultry, pasta, rice and grains, vegetables and fruit, which may be eaten freely. To help ensure a balanced diet, daily portions of 'healthy extras' are permitted, including bread, cereals, cheese and milk. Finally, controlled portions of higher calorie, less filling foods are included, such as crisps, wine, chocolate and sauces. In Food Optimising these are called "syns". Most adults have a daily "syn allowance" of between 5 and 15 "syns".[1]

Food Optimising has a variety of plans, which may be followed on a daily basis as the slimmer chooses:[2]

'Extra Easy plan': Free Foods include most fruit and vegetables, fish, lean meat and poultry and eggs, wholemeal pasta, potatoes, grains and beans. Healthy extras include bread, cereals, cheese and milk.
    'Original plan': Free Foods include most fruit and vegetables, fish, lean meat and poultry and eggs. Healthy extras include bread, cereals, cheese, milk and carbohydrates such as wholemeal pasta, potatoes, grains and beans.
    'Green plan': Ideal for vegetarians, Free Foods include most fruit and vegetables, pasta, rice, potatoes, grains and eggs. Healthy extras include bread, cereals, cheese, milk, nuts & seeds, and protein such as lean meat, poultry and fish.

It seems that the OP is only seeing what she want's to see. It doesn't say anything about being able to eat all the pasta, potatoes, and rice that your heart desires. It just says you can eat it, while practicing portion control.

And they call the higher calorie foods ( crisps, wine, chocolate and sauces) 'syns'. That's annoying.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Slimming World makes total sense. Why individuals on this site think they know better than the UKs largest and most successful slimming club is baffling arrogance!!! SW far outstrips weightwatchers in the UK. Like all mass-marketed diet plans, however, it has to be based on a a few assumptions. It assumes that those that join are overweight ( usually true!). It assumes that those who are overweight are overweight because they eat too much of the wrong types of food ( also usually true). SW allows followers to freely eat lean meat, fruit and veg, eggs, fat free yoghurts, pasta and potatoes. It dramatically restricts pretty much anything else, including bread, fats, pizza, all processed meals, cheese, all junk - crisps, chocolate, sweets biscuits etc etc Trust me, if you take an overweight person and switch them from a diet of processed foods, fats, pizza, sandwiches, biscuits etc to one of mainly lean meat, pasta , potato, fruit and veg, the weight will fall off them! Slimming World is still calorie control, just packaged in a different way

How come the US hasn't bought into this whole thing yet?

It's ridiculous, thats why. It may work for some people (because they inadvertently eat under their TDEE, but it's an ignorant diet to say the least.
    OK, If I can remember the plan I'll try to explain

Red days -

Have to have 2 x fibre choices - wholemeal bread, cereal, beans etc
    1 x dairy choice - milk, cheese etc

then unlimited lean meat, veg, salad, most fruit
    everything else has a syn value, like WW points and you can have for example , 10 syns per day
    Plates of food muct be one third veg/salad

Green day (vegetarian) - same 2 choices for fibre/calcium
    free foods are pasta, potatoes, rice, vegetables,fruit etc
    and again - plates of food must be one third veg.salad

I tried it about 18years ago after having my eldest - dropped 3 stone (42lbs) kept it off for a few years, then emotional eating after miscarriages sent me skywards again.

I used to alternate red and green days and enjoyed it.

There's a lot more to it than just *eat as much pasta as you want"
    It's been successful in the UK for over 40years so I don't think it can be called a fad.
    I think that last paragraph is probably hitting the nail on the head. People read "eat as much pasta and potatoes as you want" and go off half c0ck without considering what else might be involved in the plan.

I've never done Slimmingworld, but if the large scale data (on 30k + people) provided in an earlier post are correct, then it looks like it works. I'm sure if you looked at 20 -30 people's detailed diaries, you'd probably see that the free feeding of pasta and spuds isn't as "free" as you'd think, but I think that misses the essence of the diet - the focus isn't really on filling up on them.

I am not familiar with the program at all, but I think it's funny that people will read two or three sentences about a program - posted by someone who doesn't really seem to have a very complete understanding to begin with - and think they are informed enough to condemn it.

It sounds from what is being said by people who have used the program that it's quite similar to Weight Watchers, which is a pretty balanced program and has worked for a lot of people. While I don't know anything but what's been said here about Slimming World, I did try WW a few years ago and personally had good success until I quit. lol But that was just laziness on my part.

However, I will say that using the tools on MFP is much easier for me, feels much more sustainable, and fits my own lifestyle better. Plus it's free.

In terms of the original post, I think OP answered her own questions:
    And i'm feeling so bloated and heavy at the moment because of so much pasta as it's apparently a free food.

Surely you shouldn't be able to eat as much pasta as you like? I know everything in moderation but can it actually be beneficial to weight loss to eat these foods as though they're free?

Listen to your body and your sense of reason based on what you already know. If you are considering following Slimming World, then really get informed about it.

And yes (smh):
    I love how not one person (ok, maybe one person) has offered any advice to the OP - I followed SW for 6 months or so and lost just over stone, so it clearly works. I kept the weight off because calorie counting fits in better with my lifestyle.

The claim it's stupid because "it hasn't reached America yet" is, I believe one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. Think before you speak (or type)