Passive aggressive much?

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I help provide food and we have community food. I live at home with my parents so I'm not sure what the deal is.... They know how sensitive I am, so I don't think it's a joke. The only thing I can think of is that me and my parents are the only ones in this house who pay for food! Maybe they did it so that food doesn't go so fast. I just wish they'd have said something so I wouldn't feel depressed and angry over this. I'm not gonna let this derail all my good efforts!

Rather than being depressed and angry, why not simply ask why it's there? Strange as it may seem, there may be a logical explanation.

If the explanation is as you suspect, buy a dorm fridge, put it in your own space (bedroom, whatever), and keep your food there. You're doing great on the weight loss, you don't need "help", especially demeaning help like that. But it might not have been intended that way, and it might be there for a different reason.

And, as others have said, if you have the means and opportunity, it might be time to explore living in your own space.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to say this politely, and it's not meant to be rude, but...

If you look up "passive-aggressive" in the dictionary, there has to be something about having an issue with someone you are close to and complaining to everyone BUT them about it. You aren't helping things getting yourself riled up about it, tempesting an Internet teapot over it, and not talking to them about it. You're getting upset without finding out whether you SHOULD be upset.

Talk to them about it. Calmly, clearly, and now. Sit down with them over a cup of tea and ask, politely, why the lock is there. If the explanation is because they think you need help with weight loss, point out that you ARE losing weight and are on a path that is working, and explain that it upsets you and risks the plan that you, as an independent individual, are working on.

If the explanation is anything else, work it out like adults. Don't get angry. Work it out.

If both of you go passive-aggressive, things can get ugly very fast. I've seen relationships end in very nasty ways when neither will talk TO the other and they both do passive-aggressive things like talk ABOUT the other to everyone else (or on Internet forums).
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'd move out.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Honey - don't take crazy personally.

Great line! I wish I had learned THIS growing up!!
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Want to hear the end of this too! I would pissed!
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wow that's nutso, what a weird thing to do
    I'd be tempted to unplug it before I went out shopping for my own little bar fridge
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    When we were kids our fridge had a padlock on it ... I always thought it was because there were 5 kids and no money ... talking to mum about it a couple weeks ago when I joked about putting a lock on the fridge to keep my 2 year old from getting into it and saying how it was such a good idea when we were kids, she was horrified that is what we thought ... the hinge broke on the door and the only thing holding it on was the padlock :laugh:

Sometimes things are not as they seem ;)

But if it is what it looks like then just know they are douche bags !!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When we were kids our fridge had a padlock on it ... I always thought it was because there were 5 kids and no money ... talking to mum about it a couple weeks ago when I joked about putting a lock on the fridge to keep my 2 year old from getting into it and saying how it was such a good idea when we were kids, she was horrified that is what we thought ... the hinge broke on the door and the only thing holding it on was the padlock :laugh:

Sometimes things are not as they seem ;)

But if it is what it looks like then just know they are douche bags !!!

That's too funny!
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do they know or have they seen the progress you have made on your own? IF this is directed at you (it may not be), it would seem that they are not aware of how well you are already doing and definitely are confused about the best way to help. If you can keep your tears and/or anger at bay long enough to talk with them I would try to explain what you need from them that would help instead of this that hurts. Especially if they are thin people and don't struggle with these issues... not meaning to offend, but if they've never been "here" they just don't understand.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Er, don't suppose there's a dog (or even a large cat) in the house? We had to put a special lock on our fridge to stop the dog getting into it and then getting sick because it ate everything it could reach. That's about the only reason I can think of... Do let us know what happens.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Honey - don't take crazy personally.

Great line! I wish I had learned THIS growing up!!

I agree.

Meanwhile - do you have a cat? Maybe the cat has been watching You Tube vids of the cat that learned how to get into the freezer for the fishsticks. LOL. Curious to find out how this is resolved.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Bumping for what happened.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    *waiting to hear the end of the fridge saga*

Same here!
  • meghan1789
    meghan1789 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So what happened?
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bump to find out why they did it. Not that there'd be any reasonable reason.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would have walked in the living room swinging that padlock at someone's head...ok that may a bit much but seriously I would have a WTF talk with my family....
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're hiding your birthday present in there.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    Bump. I'd love to know their reasoning behind this! I'm can't believe they would feel the need to do that to you!