Shakeology - your opinions and feedback please

Options
Hiya - I have started reading up on Shakeology and am considering giving it a go - does anyone have any experience or feedback that they can share?

Thanks!

***STAFF NOTE -This topic has not been locked but is edging towards so I want to put a quick note up to remind everyone that there is absolutely no need to attack, insult, or hijack the thread. Posts that add nothing to the conversation except to be critical will be removed and the user warned. There is no issue with disagreeing and having a spirited discussion on the topic. The OP ask's a legitimate question and deserves legitimate responses even of the opposing opinion their is, however, a way to do this respectfully.

Scott
MyFitnessPal Staff

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's basically a balanced meal in a shake.

It's more for people who can't get a handle on what they eat so it makes it simple for them. Instead of having to cook a proper meal and know how much to put in etc, just have a shake.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I bought the chocolate shakeology last year.
    I dont drink the full serving size as its too thick for me in a shake but i do half a scoop and i mix it with coffee and cinnamon.
    I drink it every morning as a second breakfast and i find it fills me up so im not starving by the time lunch hits.

Im about to get my sample of the tropical strawberry :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why not stick to real food?
  • BalenciaLynn
    Options

thats quite a rude response.

Have you ever thought that maybe their using a shake to just help them get extra minerals and vitamins?

Its not always about using a "quick fix" to lose weight.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    I think if you use something like this as your main focus for losing weight, not the best idea. You aren't learning anything about better food choices, healthy cooking, portions, etc. For a lot of people who are still hesitant about eating a lot more calories than they are used to, shakes are a good way to add a lot more quickly and easily. From time to time I've used them for a quick snak if I'm running short on time or after I work out.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think that one in particular is very expensive and there are suitable, more affordable options out there. Many people do like to use protein shakes as part of their routine, I like to make one in the evenings as a treat, but I like mine to cost less than $1 per scoop. :-). So I guess it depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to pay. ;-)
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Have you ever thought that maybe their using a shake to just help them get extra minerals and vitamins?

Shakeology is crap. If your diet sux, fix the diet.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It works, but for only a short time. My friend lost a ton of weight, but with all quick-fix diet plans, it only works for a little while. But don't get me wrong, I'm open to it as well, but believing that it's only a short term solution.

Good old calorie counting is working for me...Slow and steady wins the race.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't like Shakeology because of it's business model. It's multi-level marketing. Like Amway or Cutco. They recruit people to sell it rather than just selling it in stores. That leads to higher prices than necessary and friends turning into pushy salespeople.

I've never tried the stuff and I never would. Learning to get my nutrition from the foods I regularly eat has been an important part of learning how to manage my weight for life, not just for a few weeks.
  • BalenciaLynn
    Options

Shakeology is crap. If your diet sux, fix the diet.

Have you tried it?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Y U MAD THO?!
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    I don't like Shakeology because of it's business model. It's multi-level marketing. Like Amway or Cutco. They recruit people to sell it rather than just selling it in stores. That leads to higher prices than necessary and friends turning into pushy salespeople.

I've never tried the stuff and I never would. Learning to get my nutrition from the foods I regularly eat has been an important part of learning how to manage my weight for life, not just for a few weeks.

Ditto!
  • UntinyDancer
    Options
    I typically do my weightlifting after work. If my wife is cooking spaghetti when I get home, I'll make me a powdered protein shake with frozen bananas and whatever fruit/vegetables happen to be around.

I'm not a body builder, just working out for life. I don't use protein supplements as a rule, just to help me make sure I get some protein every day. I also don't use designer protein blends. Typically just whey protein from Kroger.
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    I tried it, and I didn't like the taste. I'm currently doing Body By Vi and I think it tastes a lot better, and it's lower calorie. I still eat "real" food, and you can add lots of low calorie stuff to your shake.
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    It's expensive...but boy is it nutritional.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Also so you know ahead of time there are a few users who try to use this site to push the "product" they're selling, even though it's against the rules. Many of the positive responses you'll hear about various meal replacement shakes will come from people trying to sell one to you.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

This is the most important thing to losing weight!
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think is ok to have at least once a day. If you like it and want to invest in it ( regardless...of the business model). However no more than that to what I've seen it is a bit higher on the carb side and I love my quinoa ;) so I like to save my carbs for the day for that.

But other wise I don't see a problem with it.
  • BalenciaLynn
    Options

Y U MAD THO?!

Its not that im mad its just that people post in forums to get HELPFUL opinions, not to get stupid remarks like "why dont you stick to real food"
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Too expensive and it's not even organic. Yes it's got lots of vitamins and minerals but so do a lot of foods and multivitamins.