How many cals are in your breakfast?

Options
Every morning I have a smoothie. I always make it with kale, spinach and usually parsley. Today's smoothie included 1/2C kale, 1C spinach, dannon light and fit 80 cal caramel yogurt, 1/2C blueberries, 1/2C chopped nectarine, 1/2 a banana, 1/4C 100% whole grain oats. All of that was 308 cals. Do you think that is too much for breakfast? I scale down throughout the day if it's a rest day for exercise. Otherwise, my cardio and lift days(they are together) have a cal burn of 600-1000 cals per session.
Should I scale down the cals on breakfast? Is it too much sugar with all of that fruit? I go over my sugar allotment every single day, usually just with breakfast.

Replies

• rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you find that your breakfast keeps you at a good amount of fullness until your next meal, and you are able to meet your macro needs and not go too far over calories for the rest of the day, there is no reason to cut down on the calories.

MFPs sugar limits are kind of low in my opinion, and if most of the sugar is from fruit, I wouldn't stress out about it.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    My breakfast today had 374 calories in it. It seems most times my breakfast has the most calories, but it gets me jump-started.

The calories aren't bad in my opinion. I'd swap out the Dannon light and fite caramel yogurt for plain greek yogurt. Way less sugar and lots more protein.

I personally do not see a problem with the fruits, all fruits and some veggies have sugar. The plus is they are not added or processed. Some say sugar is sugar but I do not believe fruit sugars spike you or knock you all out of whack. My opinion, I could be wrong.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast runs around 500 cal, if your daily totals are ok don't sweat it.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't think your calories are bad, but there is a lot of sugar and little protein in there. I'd get rid of the yogurt and add a scoop of EAS Whey (or something similar) for 23 grams of protein.

My breakfasts average 300-350 calories and more protein than carbs. It is usually my post workout meal so I make sure and load up on the protein.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    530. 2 pieces of toast, 2tbsp of peanut butter and 2 hard boiled eggs. Keeps me full till lunch!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    today 489 cals
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others I don't think that's too many calories at all for breakfast. I wouldn't worry too much about the sugars, either, since they are coming from fruits. I almost always go over on sugar on MFP just from fruits and veggies. You may want to add more protein, though. A typical breakfast for me usually has about 20 grams of protein.
  • Menolly22
    Menolly22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I could definitely swap out the yogurt for the greek plain, or sometimes I use the just plain fat free yogurt. Where would I pick up this Whey protein stuff? Does it have any flavor to it?
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is 861 calories every single day. Sometimes, if I have ridden by bike a long ways, with a big calorie burn (1000+), I might add a pastry to my breakfast too.

How do I get so high? Protein smoothie. Yum!

Best is that I ate breakfast today at 7:30 am. It is now almost 2:00 pm and I have not had lunch yet. But I am not starving.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    363 today:

Espresso latte w/ pumpkin spice syrup, 1 egg, 1.5 oz. spiral ham, 3 asparagus spears, salsa, strawberries, and 3 oz. grape juice w/ pectin (for the knees).

It's now 1051 am and I'm hungry, so about to eat 1/2 protein bar on the way to teach spin. Will eat the 2nd half on the way home then make lunch. then snack. then dinner. then snack. nom nom nom nom :)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    450-500 calories depending what fruit I eat and if I have a piece of toast or not. It's pretty static for the most part. My biggest meal of the day and gets me through classes and my morning exercise and I feel great.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    560 today. Not usually quite that high but always above 300.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Mines usually around 300 but I'm thinking about upping it on the days I know I'll get in a serious sweat session.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    There's an old diet saying:
    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a peasant. In other words, your breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day. It's the starter for the rest of the day. It's the first meal after approx. 6-8 hours of no food intake (sleeping).
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    it varies depending on the day!
    today i had omlette with spinach & goats cheese (300 cals), other times i will have breakfast ranging from 80 cals (fruit) to 700 cals (bacon & egg bagel)! it all depends on what ive got planned for the day and how hungry i am :-)

as long as you get the right amount of calories in for the day, i dont think it matters how much you eat when.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Today...185. Banana and yogurt.
  • Agspivey
    Agspivey Posts: 3
    Options
    My breakfast is normally 500 calories and I make sure to get some protein in. I'm on a 1320 calorie a day diet.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    thats seems fine and really healthy and nutritious fruit is healthy, so don't worry. you're burning a lot of exercise calories too, so i would even say data bit more if you need too!!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Breakfast are usually between 350 -425 depending on whether I have orange juice or not.