Just when I thought Skinny Cow couldn't be any better...

Options
willywonka
willywonka Posts: 743 Member
I just tried the cookies and cream sandwiches, OMG!!!! They are now officially my favorite.
Any other Skinny Cow addicts out here? I seriously save the calories so that I can indulge in these little bites of heaven :heart:

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I LOVE cookies and cream. I'll have to try that! Right now, their Chocolate/PB is my favorite. I usually only buy the ice cream sandwiches, and I love them! A great, decadent treat!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    ooh I love the chocolate/PB ones too and I think these are even better- HEAVENLY!! Good to see another fellow Skinny cow lover!!! :drinker:
  • hramireddy
    Options
    OBSESSED. Just tried their Ice Cream Chocolate Truffle bars...amazing!!! And definitely low-cal :smile:
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I love the Strawberry Shortcake ice cream sandwiches. The mint ones are really good too.
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    OMG obsessedddd. I love the MINT ice cream sandwhiches, the french vanilla truffle bars, or the fudge pops :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    please look at what you are so excited about
    it is junk food and can stop or slow down a healthy weight loss

The Skinny on Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream

Skinny Cow Ingredients List:
    skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate

Today, a doctor at the wellness center that I work out of asked me to evaluate a package of the Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream Sandwich.

The front of the package sounds good:

97% Fat Free
    140 Calories Per Serving
    3 Grams of Fiber
    0 Grams of Trans Fat
    4 Fl Oz
    Okay, let’s stop right here.
    When I first read this I immediately had a few red flags come up.

First off, whenever you see a product, especially ice cream or pastries, that say low fat or 97% fat free, there is almost always a ton of chemicals, sugars, and hidden fats added.

However, the proof is in the pudding…
    So, let’s turn over the package and look at the nutrition facts and ingredients list.

Nutrition Facts:
    Total Fat: 1.5 grams
    Total Carb: 30g
    Protein: 4g
    Total: 35.5 grams

To the average “weight loss victim” this sounds good.
    But let’s examine this a little further.

The front of the package states that the ice cream sandwich is 4 ounces.
    4 ounces = 112 grams

112 grams - 35.5 grams = 76.5

Okay, here’s the deal:
    The nutrition facts section gives nutrition information for only 35.5 grams of food, but the ice cream sandwich actually contains 112 grams of food.
    What happened to the other 76.5 grams of food that are not accounted for?

You guessed it… hidden fats, hidden sugars, and chemical preservatives!
    Don’t believe me? Read on to discover the TRUTH.

Note: I’ll let you in on a little secret. I never look at the Nutrition Facts section of packaged foods. The only thing I look at is the list of ingredients.
    Why? There are too many FDA loopholes that allow food manufacturers to lie on the Nutrition Facts section of a food label. However, food manufacturers are required to list all of a foods ingredients in its Ingredient List.

skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate.
  • mommyto2cuties
    mommyto2cuties Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OMG I LOVE them!!! So much so that I had to cut myself off because I was eating them obsessively. Maybe I can be better now... I will pick up the cookies and cream kind this week!

Just read Dave198's post. How disappointing!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    please look at what you are so excited about
    it is junk food and can stop or slow down a healthy weight loss

The Skinny on Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream

skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate

Today, a doctor at the wellness center that I work out of asked me to evaluate a package of the Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream Sandwich.

The front of the package sounds good:

97% Fat Free
    140 Calories Per Serving
    3 Grams of Fiber
    0 Grams of Trans Fat
    4 Fl Oz
    Okay, let’s stop right here.
    When I first read this I immediately had a few red flags come up.

First off, whenever you see a product, especially ice cream or pastries, that say low fat or 97% fat free, there is almost always a ton of chemicals, sugars, and hidden fats added.

However, the proof is in the pudding…
    So, let’s turn over the package and look at the nutrition facts and ingredients list.

Nutrition Facts:
    Total Fat: 1.5 grams
    Total Carb: 30g
    Protein: 4g
    Total: 35.5 grams

To the average “weight loss victim” this sounds good.
    But let’s examine this a little further.

The front of the package states that the ice cream sandwich is 4 ounces.
    4 ounces = 112 grams

112 grams - 35.5 grams = 76.5

Okay, here’s the deal:
    The nutrition facts section gives nutrition information for only 35.5 grams of food, but the ice cream sandwich actually contains 112 grams of food.
    What happened to the other 76.5 grams of food that are not accounted for?

You guessed it… hidden fats, hidden sugars, and chemical preservatives!
    Don’t believe me? Read on to discover the TRUTH.

Note: I’ll let you in on a little secret. I never look at the Nutrition Facts section of packaged foods. The only thing I look at is the list of ingredients.
    Why? There are too many FDA loopholes that allow food manufacturers to lie on the Nutrition Facts section of a food label. However, food manufacturers are required to list all of a foods ingredients in its Ingredient List.

skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate.

You know, when I saw this post I said to myself "Wonder when Dave will show up":laugh:

Cool Whip....tag you're it:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mommyto2cuties
    Options
    Oh no! don't ruin cool whip for me!!! It is my recent favorite thing!
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    yes, MINT is my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavorite!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Oh no! don't ruin cool whip for me!!! It is my recent favorite thing!

I hope you are joking

your body wants real food

just because something is low calorie doesnt mean you should eat it

cool whip and skinny cow is poison

go ahead and eat that stuff
    just please know what you are eating

then you cant complain when you feel icky or you dont see the scale move as fast as you would like
  • mommyto2cuties
    Options
    well, i was joking when I said I didn't want it ruined. I do like to at least know the facts, but the truth is I just love how yummy it is!!! I was eating it all week in strawberries. It really won't be that big of a deal for me to skip it.
    Is whip cream as bad?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    well, i was joking when I said I didn't want it ruined. I do like to at least know the facts, but the truth is I just love how yummy it is!!! I was eating it all week in strawberries. It really won't be that big of a deal for me to skip it.
    Is whip cream as bad?

whipped cream has real food in it....it is much bettter for you

it does have more calories but they are calories your body can use....cool whip is just crap and your body should not be punished because you like the taste of it

eat the real stuff....just dont go crazy and eat too much of it
  • maladie
    maladie Posts: 12
    Options
    Skinny Cow is good but imo it's loaded with sugar to make up for the no fat. I mean, they are delicious but that is the truth of it.. carbs carbs carbs. I've found a few no sugar alternatives such as (beleive it or not) Great Value (yes, wal-mart brand) no sugar, no fat strawberry ice cream, at only 70 cal per serving. Blue Bunny also makes delicious fat free no added sugar ice cream bars and 1/2 gallon flavors (caramal-toffee, chocolate fudge brownie, vanilla). Just suggesting those as a lower calorie alternative!
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So Dave -how then do we know the 'real' nutritional values of food then?? I need a quick way of seeing, because im rubbish at maths ect....
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    So Dave -how then do we know the 'real' nutritional values of food then?? I need a quick way of seeing, because im rubbish at maths ect....

thats a good question

start with reading the entire food label.....the ingredients are listed in their ratio amount......the first ingredient listed is the most prevalent ingredient

know what the ingredients are...look them up on the web...you will wonder why you would put them in your body

foods advertised as low fat and low calorie most often are man made or man altered crap.....fat is what makes food taste good....there are good fats and bad fats.....the low fat low- calorie foods are almost always JUNK

we need to start looking at the quality of the calories not just the amount...when you eat skinny cow and crap like that...your body gets less energy and less fuel than real food...your skin gets yucky...your body doesnt want it.....so many people are trying to satisfy their sweet tooth and stay under calories and go for the crap...it doesnt make sense in the long run because you are defeating the purpose of being on this site

once a month is ok...once a month is moderation...any more than that and you are hurting your progress to lose weight and get fit
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    so we should be looking for the more natural ingredients, even if their higher in calories / natural fats ect...but eat less of them?? because I dont want to unrealistically say i will purge all sweety type foods from my lifestyle, as that would be setting myself up to fail - i cannot be a robot and switch my mind off to eating some choccies or icecream every now and then, evern though I have made huge changes to my diet and eat loads more 'real' foods these days...but i should go for the real stuff and just have less to fit within my calorie budget??

(PS sorry for hijacking this thread with my questions)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Is whip cream as bad?

whipped cream has real food in it....it is much bettter for you

it does have more calories but they are calories your body can use....cool whip is just crap and your body should not be punished because you like the taste of it

eat the real stuff....just dont go crazy and eat too much of it

Must agree with Dave...my ice cream must contain: milk, cream, sugar, and eggs...and that's it. Nothing artificial...if you guys have the time, make your own. Check out some recipes on allrecipes.com :bigsmile:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cows on sale at my grocery store! Gonna grab me some! Yum!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    so we should be looking for the more natural ingredients, even if their higher in calories / natural fats ect...but eat less of them?? because I dont want to unrealistically say i will purge all sweety type foods from my lifestyle, as that would be setting myself up to fail - i cannot be a robot and switch my mind off to eating some choccies or icecream every now and then, evern though I have made huge changes to my diet and eat loads more 'real' foods these days...but i should go for the real stuff and just have less to fit within my calorie budget??

(PS sorry for hijacking this thread with my questions)

yes...look for the more natural ingredients ...your body wants them and needs them

on the sweets issue...people say if they cut them all out...they are setting themselves up for failure...that is a self full filling prophecy..it is only true if you let it be true.....look at articles on sugar and what happens when we dump in our body...like a cupcake or a candy bar...the body hs to produce insulin to deal with it....Doctors call insulin the fat storing hormone....it is very interesting what we do to our bodies in the name of sweets.....dont be fooled by the idea that we need sweets ...you will only feel deprived if you think you deserve sweets....your body doesnt want them and doesnt need them...if you cut out sweets for 10 days.....your energy goes up...skin gets clearer...it is amazing...but you can have sweets....once a week....150 calories max at one time and eat some fat like cheese with it...fat slows down the sugar assault on the body....