Just when I thought Skinny Cow couldn't be any better...

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cows on sale at my grocery store! Gonna grab me some! Yum!!!

good for you

just curious...why you dont care about the chemicals? no offense...I am really interested why people eat stuff like this? maybe you dont beleive it? maybe you think once in awhile is OK?

seriously...no offense...I would just like to know...you obviously dont have to tell me,..but you are here to lose weight and get healthy so eating this stuff....I just womder why

thanks either way
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    in the long term Dave I will work on it...But I mean in the short time....as my new lifestyle emerges I need to take baby steps...and that means being realistic for myself, so i know at this stage it woudl be easy for me to say 'ok no sweets'...but then I would binge or something....its me needing to deal with my psychological relationship with food before I can adopt a totally new lifestyle change that is heaps healthier ...get what i mean....(and yes I have some serious issues, being dealt with through talking therapy atm)...so for the here and now I need to deal with making the best choices i can, whilst minimising binges ect from psychologically consequences of these decisions.....

anyways i will stop hijacking this thread now!

xxpink
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    Options
    please look at what you are so excited about
    it is junk food and can stop or slow down a healthy weight loss

The Skinny on Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream

Skinny Cow Ingredients List:
    skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate

Today, a doctor at the wellness center that I work out of asked me to evaluate a package of the Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream Sandwich.

The front of the package sounds good:

97% Fat Free
    140 Calories Per Serving
    3 Grams of Fiber
    0 Grams of Trans Fat
    4 Fl Oz
    Okay, let’s stop right here.
    When I first read this I immediately had a few red flags come up.

First off, whenever you see a product, especially ice cream or pastries, that say low fat or 97% fat free, there is almost always a ton of chemicals, sugars, and hidden fats added.

However, the proof is in the pudding…
    So, let’s turn over the package and look at the nutrition facts and ingredients list.

Nutrition Facts:
    Total Fat: 1.5 grams
    Total Carb: 30g
    Protein: 4g
    Total: 35.5 grams

To the average “weight loss victim” this sounds good.
    But let’s examine this a little further.

The front of the package states that the ice cream sandwich is 4 ounces.
    4 ounces = 112 grams

112 grams - 35.5 grams = 76.5

Okay, here’s the deal:
    The nutrition facts section gives nutrition information for only 35.5 grams of food, but the ice cream sandwich actually contains 112 grams of food.
    What happened to the other 76.5 grams of food that are not accounted for?

You guessed it… hidden fats, hidden sugars, and chemical preservatives!
    Don’t believe me? Read on to discover the TRUTH.

Note: I’ll let you in on a little secret. I never look at the Nutrition Facts section of packaged foods. The only thing I look at is the list of ingredients.
    Why? There are too many FDA loopholes that allow food manufacturers to lie on the Nutrition Facts section of a food label. However, food manufacturers are required to list all of a foods ingredients in its Ingredient List.

skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate.

Wow thanks for that break down! I had no idea the label wasn't accounting for the full bar we actually eat. This is a bummer because I thought I had found a "healthy" alternative to ice cream :grumble: Never-the-less I'm grateful for you sharing this, sounds safer to just eat a 1/2 cup of Breyers natural ice cream :ohwell:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    well, i was joking when I said I didn't want it ruined. I do like to at least know the facts, but the truth is I just love how yummy it is!!! I was eating it all week in strawberries. It really won't be that big of a deal for me to skip it.
    Is whip cream as bad?

whipped cream has real food in it....it is much bettter for you

it does have more calories but they are calories your body can use....cool whip is just crap and your body should not be punished because you like the taste of it

eat the real stuff....just dont go crazy and eat too much of it

Must agree with Dave...my ice cream must contain: milk, cream, sugar, and eggs...and that's it. Nothing artificial...if you guys have the time, make your own. Check out some recipes on allrecipes.com :bigsmile:

I make my own. Blueberry, vanilla, strawberry, peanut butter, all kinds.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    in the long term Dave I will work on it...But I mean in the short time....as my new lifestyle emerges I need to take baby steps...and that means being realistic for myself, so i know at this stage it woudl be easy for me to say 'ok no sweets'...but then I would binge or something....its me needing to deal with my psychological relationship with food before I can adopt a totally new lifestyle change that is heaps healthier ...get what i mean....(and yes I have some serious issues, being dealt with through talking therapy atm)...so for the here and now I need to deal with making the best choices i can, whilst minimising binges ect from psychologically consequences of these decisions.....

anyways i will stop hijacking this thread now!

xxpink

That's realistic. I have been slowly cutting processed things out. I cannot afford to wipe out my cabinets and start fresh so I eat what is in there and don't buy it again and buy something better to replace it. Eating healthy is work but it is work that is WAY worthwhile. I never really thought about (sorry) cool whip until I was on here. My daughter makes REAL whipped cream and I will never go back. (I would make it myself but her's always turns out so delicious).

Take your time if you need to but set a goal to remove items and learn to read labels. If I think I want something, I usually look it up and usually find out that there is a better alternative.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate

Today, a doctor at the wellness center that I work out of asked me to evaluate a package of the Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream Sandwich.

97% Fat Free
    140 Calories Per Serving
    3 Grams of Fiber
    0 Grams of Trans Fat
    4 Fl Oz

First off, whenever you see a product, especially ice cream or pastries, that say low fat or 97% fat free, there is almost always a ton of chemicals, sugars, and hidden fats added.

So, let’s turn over the package and look at the nutrition facts and ingredients list.

Nutrition Facts:

4 ounces = 112 grams

Okay, here’s the deal:
    The nutrition facts section gives nutrition information for only 35.5 grams of food, but the ice cream sandwich actually contains 112 grams of food.

Note: I’ll let you in on a little secret. I never look at the Nutrition Facts section of packaged foods. The only thing I look at is the list of ingredients.
    Why? There are too many FDA loopholes that allow food manufacturers to lie on the Nutrition Facts section of a food label. However, food manufacturers are required to list all of a foods ingredients in its Ingredient List.

skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate.

I can honestly say I hate your posts, not that I don't agree with you, I have cut out almost all processed foods from my diet but I began my journey just calorie counting. Then I felt better about myself so I started exercising. Then I wanted to take better care of what was entering my body. Now, like I said, I pretty much only eat unprocessed food. I just think that if I had read your postings with the brimming negativity I would have given up at the beginning.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

97% Fat Free
    140 Calories Per Serving
    3 Grams of Fiber
    0 Grams of Trans Fat
    4 Fl Oz

Nutrition Facts:

4 ounces = 112 grams

Okay, here’s the deal:

Holy moly, I have that stuff in my freezer for my kidos cause I thought it was a better alternative then the higher fat ice cream bars they wanted me to buy...guess what Dave, i'm pitching them in the garbage, I can't beleive i'm letting them eat that, i'm so careful about using organic produce, and all my cleaning supplies are natural, and here I am, directly filling their precious little bodies with garbage, that'll probably cause freakin cancer in them....then i'll be on Oprah with them telling me what a rotten mom I was, and how I ruined them for life:tongue: .....jeeeeez....skinny cow is in the trash.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

97% Fat Free
    140 Calories Per Serving
    3 Grams of Fiber
    0 Grams of Trans Fat
    4 Fl Oz

Nutrition Facts:

4 ounces = 112 grams

Okay, here’s the deal:

I can honestly say I hate your posts, not that I don't agree with you, I have cut out almost all processed foods from my diet but I began my journey just calorie counting. Then I felt better about myself so I started exercising. Then I wanted to take better care of what was entering my body. Now, like I said, I pretty much only eat unprocessed food. I just think that if I had read your postings with the brimming negativity I would have given up at the beginning.

that skinny cow message was cut and pasted straight from the internet...

the message I relay is simply be aware of what you are eating

hating the information? sorry.....don't shoot the messenger
    brimming with negativity?
    its just information.....crappy food is crappy....it aint my fault they put all that junk in it
    sorry you hate
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was going to go and buy some until I read David's message :grumble: Thanks for the heads up!
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    this is my dumbness speaking but i look at the ingredients list you posted and only see a handful if most of things that to me seem chemically...

what i wrong with the following???
    skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt,, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, , cream, whey protein, , , natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate. ??? (i dleted the things i had never heard of as i figure they must be the chemicals)

just trying to educate myself....
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    this is my dumbness speaking but i look at the ingredients list you posted and only see a handful if most of things that to me seem chemically...

what i wrong with the following???
    skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt,, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, , cream, whey protein, , , natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate. ??? (i dleted the things i had never heard of as i figure they must be the chemicals)

just trying to educate myself....

one thing you will see in most crap is the high fructose corn syrup

HFCS....check it out on the web...man made stuff so the junk has a longer shelf life and is cheaper than real sugar

watch out for the corn industry's website on the stuff...they are the ones selling it so take what they say with a big block of salt

bleached flour - they bleach it and take out all the good nutrients...its insane but it makes it taste better supposedly...

modified...a buzz word for "man screwed with it to make it last longer and be cheaper

especially watch out for hydronated oils.....they are poison also

sorry for the negativity...but it is what it is

not gonna "sugar coat" the facts:wink:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    What I love is that they say 'natural' flavor...why not just say vanilla extract or mint extract or cocoa? lol.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Hungry Girl answered a question about processed foods that I found interesting:

Dear Hungry Girl,

I saw a piece on HG in The Washington Post -- so cool! The article called you the "queen of processed food." Do you really eat processed food all the time? What do you have to say about this nickname?

Pondering the Post

Dear Pondering,

Thanks for your Q -- I've been wanting to address this. I love that article! And while the nickname made me laugh, I understand why the journalist wrote it. Let me explain... in detail. Hungry Girl recipes and food finds definitely include a lot of processed foods. To quote that article from The Washington Post, "we are a nation of snackers." Because let's face it: America eats processed food. These foods tempt us all day, every day. It's unrealistic to think that the average person, who's faced with fast food and processed food on a regular basis, can flip a switch and start following a completely rigid diet of 100% "clean" foods. It just is. While it may work for some people, it's not reasonable for the masses. So Hungry G irl provides a happy medium -- a bridge between the average junk-food diet and the idealistic way of eating perfectly "healthy" at all times. It's not about following an all-processed-food diet. It's a REALISTIC approach to better-for-you eating that people can actually live with and feel good about. Many of the processed foods I write about and use in recipes give people a way to fulfill their cravings for fattening items like fried foods, pizza, sweets, etc., without taking in a crazy amount of calories and fat. In other words, it helps people maintain a healthy weight without feeling deprived.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I believe it's because if they said what flavors, it would easier for other companies to copy their recipes.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Interesting.

Hungry Girl answered a question about processed foods that I found interesting:

Dear Hungry Girl,

I saw a piece on HG in The Washington Post -- so cool! The article called you the "queen of processed food." Do you really eat processed food all the time? What do you have to say about this nickname?

Pondering the Post

Dear Pondering,

Thanks for your Q -- I've been wanting to address this. I love that article! And while the nickname made me laugh, I understand why the journalist wrote it. Let me explain... in detail. Hungry Girl recipes and food finds definitely include a lot of processed foods. To quote that article from The Washington Post, "we are a nation of snackers." Because let's face it: America eats processed food. These foods tempt us all day, every day. It's unrealistic to think that the average person, who's faced with fast food and processed food on a regular basis, can flip a switch and start following a completely rigid diet of 100% "clean" foods. It just is. While it may work for some people, it's not reasonable for the masses. So Hungry G irl provides a happy medium -- a bridge between the average junk-food diet and the idealistic way of eating perfectly "healthy" at all times. It's not about following an all-processed-food diet. It's a REALISTIC approach to better-for-you eating that people can actually live with and feel good about. Many of the processed foods I write about and use in recipes give people a way to fulfill their cravings for fattening items like fried foods, pizza, sweets, etc., without taking in a crazy amount of calories and fat. In other words, it helps people maintain a healthy weight without feeling deprived.

that is true

it is hard to eat clean ALL the time
    I dont even do it....but I do try to avoid the really bad stuff

with skinny cow....we have a choice made real easy...I love ice cream like most people...but why eat junk fake ice cream...the stores have just as much or more REAL ice cream that is higher calorie yes....but it is something the body can use ...the low calorie stuff with HFCS and added junk to make up for the reduced fat isnt what we need...

so yes..it is hard to follow a rigid diet...but it isnt hard to reach into the freezer sectionat the store and get real ice cream instead of the skinny cow junk

just sayin:flowerforyou:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Facts:

4 ounces = 112 grams

Okay, here’s the deal:

First of all, I'm not totally disagreeing with you, Dave, this is pretty much junk food, and really there are healthier treats out there. BUT I do take exception to the math on your nutrition facts as a justification.

The first ingredient is skim milk, given that milk is 80-90% water, which has no fat, no carbs, no protein, but it does weigh 1 g/ml....it isn't going to appear on your nutrition facts summary but it IS going to make up a significant portion of the hidden weight of your ice cream......that is why skim milk is listed first on the label - listing are ordered by weight, not volume.

I agree, get your nutrients from whole foods, avoid the additives and read the ingredient labels - but nothing is really 'hidden' - you just need to educate yourself on what you are reading.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, I got to this post too late, and now it's no longer cool to like Skinny Cow, but I've never been one to do the cool thing anyway so I'll say it. Love it. Always will. Sorry. I've just gotten aquainted with them in the last couple of weeks, and in that time, allowing myself a serving every other day, all my numbers are plummetting, and I'm losing almost 5lbs a week. Ooh, nasty stuff. Now I'm not saying it's good for you, but in my case, it's helping me accomplish my goals, and whatever in it is not as detrimental to my health at this moment in time as carrying around this excess of 150 lbs, which, btw, I gained eating all natural foods. :tongue:

To each his own. All things in moderation. Use a little common sense people, please.

And please take my post in the spirit in which it was intended. It is merely my opinion, and I think it's right for me. Doesn't mean it's right for Dave. :bigsmile:

Nobody lives forever, whether or not you eat crap!:drinker:
  • epalyn
    epalyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Dave,

Just wanted to say thanks.
    :^)
    I cut out all processed/chemically altered foods about 5 years ago because I was convinced they were causing migraines.
    Now I don't have migraines.
    I, however, didn't watch what I ate and gained a bunnnnnnnnnnch of weight.
    I'm working to fix that, now.
    It can be frustrating trying to undo a lifetime of poor choices, but in the long-run, I know it'll be worth it.

~E
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cows on sale at my grocery store! Gonna grab me some! Yum!!!

good for you

just curious...why you dont care about the chemicals? no offense...I am really interested why people eat stuff like this? maybe you dont beleive it? maybe you think once in awhile is OK?

seriously...no offense...I would just like to know...you obviously dont have to tell me,..but you are here to lose weight and get healthy so eating this stuff....I just womder why

thanks either way

Because I think moderation is key. I eat wholesome clean foods probaby 80-85 percent of the time. Not an exaggeration or a guesstimate....it's what I do. However, having done the roller coaster diet thing a time or two, I also know that if I don't allow myself to have the things I really like, I will not only fall off the wagon, but I will dive head first off the wagon into a vat of fatty goodness for weeks or months on end. And I firmly believe that if you allow yourself to have a little of what you want, even if it's not plucked naturally from God's green earth, it is not going to butcher your health, it is not going to devastate your diet, and it is not going to cause you to grow a third elbow out of the middle of your left butt cheek. Natural and clean 100% is a great goal.....but I also know not having my skinny cow or my Baked Lays or my butter toffee peanuts can make JDHINAZ a cranky beeotch.

Hugs and Kisses. :flowerforyou: