Just when I thought Skinny Cow couldn't be any better...

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cows on sale at my grocery store! Gonna grab me some! Yum!!!

good for you

just curious...why you dont care about the chemicals? no offense...I am really interested why people eat stuff like this? maybe you dont beleive it? maybe you think once in awhile is OK?

seriously...no offense...I would just like to know...you obviously dont have to tell me,..but you are here to lose weight and get healthy so eating this stuff....I just womder why

thanks either way

Because I think moderation is key. I eat wholesome clean foods probaby 80-85 percent of the time. Not an exaggeration or a guesstimate....it's what I do. However, having done the roller coaster diet thing a time or two, I also know that if I don't allow myself to have the things I really like, I will not only fall off the wagon, but I will dive head first off the wagon into a vat of fatty goodness for weeks or months on end. And I firmly believe that if you allow yourself to have a little of what you want, even if it's not plucked naturally from God's green earth, it is not going to butcher your health, it is not going to devastate your diet, and it is not going to cause you to grow a third elbow out of the middle of your left butt cheek. Natural and clean 100% is a great goal.....but I also know not having my skinny cow or my Baked Lays or my butter toffee peanuts can make JDHINAZ a cranky beeotch.

Hugs and Kisses. :flowerforyou:

well thanks for responding

I actually like some baked lays ...just wish they didnt add sugar to em,,,,seems silly to me...sweet potato chips are really good and are sweet and healthy....you can make em yourself so easy....with sweet potatoes or yams.....a fantastic snack and as clean as it gets and satisfies a sweet craving

thanks again
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Dave! I've been wondering about Skinny Cow & was about to check out the ingredients on my next shopping trip. Now I don't have to do so...

For "real" ice cream, you could check out the Haagen Dazs 5. Ice cream with 5 (count 'em, 5) ingredients. NOT low-cal at all (or low-fat), but if you'd like to reward yourself with a small treat (and have saved up or burned up enough calories), you may want to try a serving (or a 1/2) of said ice cream.

...as for Baked Lay's, there's a southwestern flavor just out that's really yummy! :bigsmile:

I'll work that one out of my acceptable foods list one day (cool whip was out the minute I read Dave's post on it--I gave the stuff in my fridge to somebody at work who didn't know and didn't care about what's in it).

One day I'll get a Magic Bullet and make my own whipped topping out of real cream (or make my own butter--I hear it depends on how long you whip things!).

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

good for you

just curious...why you dont care about the chemicals? no offense...I am really interested why people eat stuff like this? maybe you dont beleive it? maybe you think once in awhile is OK?

seriously...no offense...I would just like to know...you obviously dont have to tell me,..but you are here to lose weight and get healthy so eating this stuff....I just womder why

thanks either way

Because I think moderation is key. I eat wholesome clean foods probaby 80-85 percent of the time. Not an exaggeration or a guesstimate....it's what I do. However, having done the roller coaster diet thing a time or two, I also know that if I don't allow myself to have the things I really like, I will not only fall off the wagon, but I will dive head first off the wagon into a vat of fatty goodness for weeks or months on end. And I firmly believe that if you allow yourself to have a little of what you want, even if it's not plucked naturally from God's green earth, it is not going to butcher your health, it is not going to devastate your diet, and it is not going to cause you to grow a third elbow out of the middle of your left butt cheek. Natural and clean 100% is a great goal.....but I also know not having my skinny cow or my Baked Lays or my butter toffee peanuts can make JDHINAZ a cranky beeotch.

I actually like some baked lays ...just wish they didnt add sugar to em,,,,seems silly to me...sweet potato chips are really good and are sweet and healthy....you can make em yourself so easy....with sweet potatoes or yams.....a fantastic snack and as clean as it gets and satisfies a sweet craving

thanks again

Oh PLEASE tell me how! I love terra chips but I had to stop buying them because they are fried and I had a really hard time not eating the whole bag. So I would love to know how to make baked sweet potato chips.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

good for you

thanks either way

thanks again

Oh PLEASE tell me how! I love terra chips but I had to stop buying them because they are fried and I had a really hard time not eating the whole bag. So I would love to know how to make baked sweet potato chips.

even though you "hate" my posts

her ya go
    http://www.recipezaar.com/Oven-Baked-Sweet-Potato-Chips-77009
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

good for you

thanks either way

thanks again

even though you "hate" my posts

her ya go
    http://www.recipezaar.com/Oven-Baked-Sweet-Potato-Chips-77009

It's not what you say. It's your verbage.

thank you!
  • maladie
    maladie Posts: 12
    Options
    please look at what you are so excited about
    it is junk food and can stop or slow down a healthy weight loss

The Skinny on Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream

Skinny Cow Ingredients List:
    skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate

Today, a doctor at the wellness center that I work out of asked me to evaluate a package of the Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream Sandwich.

The front of the package sounds good:

97% Fat Free
    140 Calories Per Serving
    3 Grams of Fiber
    0 Grams of Trans Fat
    4 Fl Oz
    Okay, let’s stop right here.
    When I first read this I immediately had a few red flags come up.

First off, whenever you see a product, especially ice cream or pastries, that say low fat or 97% fat free, there is almost always a ton of chemicals, sugars, and hidden fats added.

However, the proof is in the pudding…
    So, let’s turn over the package and look at the nutrition facts and ingredients list.

Nutrition Facts:
    Total Fat: 1.5 grams
    Total Carb: 30g
    Protein: 4g
    Total: 35.5 grams

To the average “weight loss victim” this sounds good.
    But let’s examine this a little further.

The front of the package states that the ice cream sandwich is 4 ounces.
    4 ounces = 112 grams

112 grams - 35.5 grams = 76.5

Okay, here’s the deal:
    The nutrition facts section gives nutrition information for only 35.5 grams of food, but the ice cream sandwich actually contains 112 grams of food.
    What happened to the other 76.5 grams of food that are not accounted for?

You guessed it… hidden fats, hidden sugars, and chemical preservatives!
    Don’t believe me? Read on to discover the TRUTH.

Note: I’ll let you in on a little secret. I never look at the Nutrition Facts section of packaged foods. The only thing I look at is the list of ingredients.
    Why? There are too many FDA loopholes that allow food manufacturers to lie on the Nutrition Facts section of a food label. However, food manufacturers are required to list all of a foods ingredients in its Ingredient List.

Skinny Cow Ingredients List:
    skim milk, wafer (bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, baking soda, salt, mon0 and diglycerides, soy lecithin), sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, cream, whey protein, inulin, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carageenan), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate.

Skim milk is mostly water, as noted in other posts in this thread, and the water probably accounts for the 76.5 grams of content, not hidden calories or fats. However it is true that food manufacturers can lie on labels. One packet of splenda is actually 4 calories, ect ect. Items under 0.5 grams of fat can be labeled fat free, and items under 5 calories per serving can be labeled calorie free. Manufacturers often present a ridiculously small serving size in order to label a product fat/calorie free, when in actuality we consume multiple servings, therefore we consume a significant amount of calories/fat. Foods that are naturally low cal/low fat may not be trying to market a product in such a way and therefore may be a little more forthright on the nutritional information.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi again,
    I'm glad to see all the opinions on the Skinny Cows and Hungry Girl, etc- It is very good to hear all the information. I am not nearly as knowledged on ingredients and nutritional facts as I should be but I do know that a lot of times things labeled as "low fat" or "fat free" are hidden with extra sugars and some bad stuff thrown in there too. I remember the study that came out not long ago saying that really no one diet is better than the other (low fat, low carb, etc) but that it is calories in=calories out for weight loss.

I will leave the debate up to the people on here with a lot more knowledge than me... but for me- it was, "how can i embark on this journey, this lifestyle change and get in the mindset to lose weight"
    So, for ME it was counting my calories and watching my fat content. Of course I love the good stuff, but I could sit down with a tub of ben and jerry's and swallow the whole thing down in one sitting or I can sit down with my one skinny cow ice cream sandwich in a perfect portion and eat it slowly and enjoy it. I guess I'm not disciplined enough to just "eat the good stuff in moderation" :laugh:

What about us coffee drinkers? I struggle with using "real sugar" sorry I can't drink it black, to using stevia to using Splenda. And you hear good and bad things about all of it. Dave, what is your take on that, I would love more info.

So, at the risk of being ridiculed because I know it's not the "healthiest thing" but people get a kick out of seeing me eating a bowl of cocoa pebbles for breakfast in the morning (which IS NOT often but sometimes) and they say how can you lose weight eating that? My answer is, I rarely if ever eat anything fried and I can cut back on so many other things but I eat in moderation and I stay within my calories and I could never totally give up some of my favorites, including skinny cow and cocoa pebbles. There is always room for improvement in getting our lives healthier so I can definitely work on that but I am learning to ease into it and for the first time in my life I've had success at weight loss :drinker:
  • brandnewsummerb
    Options
    Hmmm....I don't care cuz well....I just don't. Skinny cow tastes good. Thus, the point of the whole thread. Not the crap that's in it. Oi....can't we just be light hearted, my gosh.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Hmmm....I don't care cuz well....I just don't. Skinny cow tastes good. Thus, the point of the whole thread. Not the crap that's in it. Oi....can't we just be light hearted, my gosh.

sure we can be light hearted....

but unless I am wrong this is called My FITNESSPal...

not lets eatCRAP, pal :laugh: :laugh:

just cuz crap tastes good doesnt mean you should eat it....but hey...if you dont care what you eat as far as health and long term fitness..,,,that is your business,.....I just think it is important to know what is going inside our bodies
  • sonjab35
    sonjab35 Posts: 9
    Options
    well Dave your info is informational, but everyone has their own way of getting things done. So if eating a bowl of skinny cow ice cream is a once in a while treat, then let it be. you seem a little harsh. Not every body can be as strict as you about their diet. If it works for them then it shouldn't be a problem. ":wink: just sayin."
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Question, Dave.

What is your opinion of Bill Rodgers?

He ate pizza before a marathon, ate what he wanted, drank as much as he wanted, won 4 NY marathons, 4 Boston marathons, He is now 61 and still running half-marathons and ran the Boston Marathon again at 61.

Here's the article:

http://runnersworld.coverleaf.com/runnersworld/200905/?pg=89

Just curious.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Thanks for the info...I learned a lot! :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    well Dave your info is informational, but everyone has their own way of getting things done. So if eating a bowl of skinny cow ice cream is a once in a while treat, then let it be. you seem a little harsh. Not every body can be as strict as you about their diet. If it works for them then it shouldn't be a problem. ":wink: just sayin."

I agree..I am harsh I guess...really harsh on myself...I wish I had someone tell me all this along time ago...I cant explain how better I feel and how much more energy I have when I quit eating that stuff...

once in awhile is one thing sure...but one lady here says she eats it every singly night.....I wish you all could quit just for 2 weeks...you would never go back cuz you would feel so good

I guess I lecture on it the same way I lecture my sister about her stupid cokes and lecture myself when I get tempted......oh well

good luck
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Question, Dave.

What is your opinion of Bill Rodgers?

He ate pizza before a marathon, ate what he wanted, drank as much as he wanted, won 4 NY marathons, 4 Boston marathons, He is now 61 and still running half-marathons and ran the Boston Marathon again at 61.

Here's the article:

http://runnersworld.coverleaf.com/runnersworld/200905/?pg=89

Just curious.

amazing guy it sounds like....I didnt see the end of the article...but the first few pages were interesting

you know...I love pizza..I have absolutely no problems with REAL pizza....real dough for the crust..real sauce...full fat cheese...YUMMY....it is a great meal if it can be worked into my calories and sometimes even if it cant...the difference though is...it is real food....I cant eat that much fat every day obviously...but if a thread gets started about pizza..all i say if anything is get a real pizza...dont bother with these low cal pizzas...I love real food...italians really know how to eat...and the French and the SPanish....you know what they do? they use real food...Americans are lazy slobs who want it easy...we invent food to satisfy us when it isnt needed...all I really want is people to appreciate real food and not eat the fake crap

that is really all I am saying all the time
    but I guess I am harsh...hey...I am from Chicago...shoot me
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    well, i was joking when I said I didn't want it ruined. I do like to at least know the facts, but the truth is I just love how yummy it is!!! I was eating it all week in strawberries. It really won't be that big of a deal for me to skip it.
    Is whip cream as bad?

whipped cream has real food in it....it is much bettter for you

it does have more calories but they are calories your body can use....cool whip is just crap and your body should not be punished because you like the taste of it

eat the real stuff....just dont go crazy and eat too much of it

OR dip your strawberries in YOGURT maybe with a little raw sugar or stevia in it. :bigsmile: MUCH more health benefits AND lower in calories!

Ps. Don't beat up on Dave too much! And Dave, try to avoid too many all-encompassing statements like people not being able to lost weight eating crap. Many people do, in fact, lose weight that way. For many (myself formerly included), we just have bad allergies and get sick frequently and have terribly dry skin and hair and often don't sleep well and eventually are diagnosed with one of the many diseases for which they "don't know" the cause or the cure. But everyone is at different points on a journey towards fitness. My journey actually started with the Atkins diet! lol Talk about eating crap! But now I'm very much into local organic real foods and am very careful about what I put in my body... but that's 7 years post-Atkins. :wink:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I like you Dave, you tell it like it is. You tell us things we don't necessarily want to hear...plus most times you make me laugh! :)
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Jeez, talk about beating a dead cow:laugh:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

a..italians really know how to eat...and the French and the SPanish....you know what they do? they use real food...Americans are lazy slobs who want it easy...we invent food to satisfy us when it isnt needed...all I really want is people to appreciate real food and not eat the fake crap

I do completely agree with this statement. It's just not always possible to always eat unprocessed food. That's all. I do my best, despite the hard time my family gives me...I'm just realistic too. If I was THAT hard on myself, i'd always be letting myself down, and that's discouraging which might lead to eating even worse....
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

a dead SKINNY cow

the poor thing never knew what hit him:wink:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options

a dead SKINNY cow

the poor thing never knew what hit him:wink: