Phentermine, Dont Judge Me!

Options
Hi all, So after losing 24 ponds on my own and hitting a major plateau my doctor suggested phentermine. This is my first time taking it, today. I want to note I am being closely monitored by my doctor. Please no hate messages. I was wanting to know if anyone has taking the drug and what there experience was like. Did you lose weight? How many calories did you try to eat? I Would love your input.

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    OP, haven't even heard of it. Best of luck!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Just because a doctor is supervising it, doesn't mean it's a great idea. Doctors also supervise "Medical Weight Loss" programs where you start out for like a month on an 800 calorie a day diet. I don't care who you are, 800 calories a day is not healthy or sustainable. They also supervise that feeding tube diet...again...not really a great idea.

The way I see it, do you plan on taking phentermine for the rest of your life? If not, you're going to gain some of the weight back when you stop taking it. Just like anything else. Extreme diets, workout plans, etc. If it's not a LIFESTYLE change, it's not going to work in the long run.

Your average family practice doctor does not know a whole lot about weight loss. They are required to take like one semester of nutrition in their entire medical education career. I would suggest seeing a registered dietician and a GOOD personal trainer (do your research because there are crappy ones out there) and skipping the phentermine. Good luck.

Edited to add that phentermine used to be available in over the counter diet pills about 10-15 years ago (I took some in high school). It has since been made ILLEGAL by the FDA unless prescribed by a physician. I feel like that's a pretty big red flag right there...
  • bjmurray55
    bjmurray55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did take it several years ago I lost 30 or so pounds in a 3 month period, my Dr monitored me and only allowed me to be on it the 3 months. The only side effects I had was dry mouth but otherwise no problems.

Good luck!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I would take chia seeds instead......Apparently they swell up inside of you and make you full.....I heard about it on Dr. Oz so it must be true.
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Tried it several years ago. Lost weight but gained back after stopped using it. Also experienced severe dry mouth.
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would take chia seeds instead......Apparently they swell up inside of you and make you full.....I heard about it on Dr. Oz so it must be true.

Lol, a friend of mine did try this and she said it made fuller longer and gave her good energy.
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    P.S. congrats on the 24 lb loss!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Wow people have issues. Don't you understand obesity is a disease. Try to make my self healthier so I don't die at 50 or under the knife getting GP. It is safe to take as long as you do it with a doctor. Judge if it makes you feel better.

You are not going to get a lot of support here for taking pills...A lot of people here were morbidly obese once and chose this site because it is all about doing it forever...
    If people disagree with you, it does not mean that they judge you....
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my sister was on it for a few weeks, but didn't lose and she started having heart issues. I know you are doctor supervised, but please be careful. I looked at this drug too and the side effects didn't seem to be worth the benefits of it for me. Good luck with it, but please report any heart palpitations or issues to your doctor immediately if you have any side effects.
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I took it a few years ago and lost about 20 pounds but I hit that at my 3rd month and usually your body gets immuned to it so you should quit and wait a few more months before taking it again. It helped me with my liver in which at that time was on the verge of getting fatty liver. Listen to your body and dont over take the phen.
  • mejustsmaller316
    Options
    Tried it several years ago. Lost weight but gained back after stopped using it. Also experienced severe dry mouth.

I thought about this and Im confident that I can keep the weight off. I will still continue to track and exercise. Im thinking of this as a good bust, and ty.
  • krysten90
    Options
    If turning to drugs doesn't work, then you could always have a feeding tube installed...doctor supervised, of course.

im not sure this was meant to take a swing at you. this was on the today show i believe it was. it's also on the front page of aol today. soon to be brides are doing it. it's a feeding tube they put through your nose only while you're at the doctor. i take the pills and i haven't seen much change, but i have had them 2 weeks friday.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ive not used the pills, but your starting weight is pretty similar to mine so ill help if i can!
    As the above posters said, medication is only a temporary solution and eventually you will have to work out what you need to do long term.
    How many cals were you eating / how much were you working out when you lost the 24lbs, did this change when you hit your plateau?

emma
    x
  • mejustsmaller316
    Options
    Honestly, my sister was on it for a few weeks, but didn't lose and she started having heart issues. I know you are doctor supervised, but please be careful. I looked at this drug too and the side effects didn't seem to be worth the benefits of it for me. Good luck with it, but please report any heart palpitations or issues to your doctor immediately if you have any side effects.

Thank you for your concern, will do.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi all, So after losing 24 ponds on my own and hitting a major plateau my doctor suggested phentermine. This is my first time taking it, today. I want to note I am being closely monitored by my doctor. Please no hate messages. I was wanting to know if anyone has taking the drug and what there experience was like. Did you lose weight? How many calories did you try to eat? I Would love your input.

Several years ago I did that for about 6 months. Most doctors around here will not let you take it more than 3 months in your lifetime. That stuff is very rough on your liver and kidneys. I started having pains that felt like my liver was swelling, I stopped them immediately and after a few days it began to go away. Scared the crap out of me. I vowed I would NEVER do that again. The only way to do it is eat clean and exercise.

Yes, you will lose weight but I am sure it is limited to how long your organs can handle that stuff.

Based on what I experienced, I would dissuade anyone considering it.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Judge if it makes you feel better.
    I thought you were asking people's opinions. I'm confused.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Since we're not allowed to judge you, my only advice would be to drink plenty of water so you don't get cavities. Also, if you notice shortness of breath or very rapid heart rate, stop taking and call your doctor.
  • ChelseyDesaray
    ChelseyDesaray Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight while on effexor xr for anxiety. When i got off of the effexor i went to a weight loss clinic here and they put me on phentermine. I liked it. It really help control my cravings and gave me extra energy. Phentermine is also prescribed for a mood stabilizer. I think as long as you make sure you are still eating and making sure your heart is good then you are fine! Good luck! :) I lost weight while on it btw and then i got pregnant..woops lol
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It will help you lose right now. It won't help you not put it all back on.

If you must take the pills, then use this time to learn about nutrition and fueling your body. Learn what processed carbs do to you and how important fiber is. :Learn how to eat lots of food without lots of calories. Find the foods that give you energy and eat them (you'll need something when you stop the pills). Figure out what foods jack you up and then let you crash (so you can avoid them). If you do this now, then you may be able to hold on to the weight loss you get from the Phen. If you do not, I can pretty much guarantee you that you will regain all that you have lost, with some extra. :brokenheart:
  • noblesseoblige
    Options
    As long as you are being closely supervised by a doctor, I won't knock your choice. But try to eat at least 1200 calories a day, I know diet pills seriously kill appetites, so even that 1200 may be hard to reach, but try anyway. And absolutely make sure you drink at least your 8 glasses of water a day, if not more, they can easily make you dehydrated and lead to kidney problems. Also, make sure you monitor our heart as well, these things can seriously mess with your body, mainly your heart and kidneys.

So be careful. And I wish you luck.
This discussion has been closed.