Phentermine, Dont Judge Me!

Options

Replies

• chris5389
    Options
    It's basically Speed. It destroyed my heart. Gave me palpitations and nervousness. Gave me extreme anxiety. Gained all the weight back that I lost on it. Many other options out there besides prescription medication. Don't take it. You've been warned.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    If turning to drugs doesn't work, then you could always have a feeding tube installed...doctor supervised, of course.

She kindly asked to not judge her.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Appetite was gone. Had tons of energy however I was always moody. Gave me serious heart palpatations. And coming off it was unreal. I hope your experience is better than mine was. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Fine. I'll give you what you're looking for: SUPER! GREAT IDEA!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I took it for a while a fgew years ago, totally works used to drop 10 lbs like nothing everytime i was on it. You dont feel hungry at all, you dont snack. Your heart rate gets elevated and get a little bit jittery (which I love).

I did however feel somewhat addicted to it and diet pills in general. And getting off them i gained back all i lost everytime I did it.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to do with their body what they want. The only thing I'll say is this drug won't change your relationship with food and from what you've written that seems to be the issue.
  • offdutyguy
    Options
    Well, It's not my place to judge. But I will say this, Im not on board with obesity being labled a disease. Cancer is a disease. I think anyone can distinguish between the two. That being said my concern for you is what happens when you lose the weight? If you havent changed your life style and your eating habits you will more than likely gain the weight back. The drugs may be a short cut to get where you want to be, but have you put the steps and discipline together to maintain the weight loss. Just something to think about. Goodluck
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Edited to add that phentermine used to be available in over the counter diet pills about 10-15 years ago (I took some in high school). It has since been made ILLEGAL by the FDA unless prescribed by a physician. I feel like that's a pretty big red flag right there...

Actually, it was phenylpropanolamine (PPA) that was in OTC diet pills (and nasal decongestants). It was removed from the market ~10 years ago after reports linking PPA to an increased risk of bleeding in the brain (hemorrhagic stroke).
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Fine. I'll give you what you're looking for: SUPER! GREAT IDEA!

Thanks, was that hard?
  • amandagaines_05
    amandagaines_05 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Been there and done that. Lost weight, and then gained it right back and some as soon as I stopped taking them. I wont let the "nurse" side come out of me and tell you how bad it is for you. LOL. Good luck :)
  • melissabatmcnet
    melissabatmcnet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I took it a few years back, but after about 1 month started having really bad heart palpitations.. Doctor took me off right away.. Everyone is different but Please pay attention to any side effects and notify your doctor right away..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Where do lost ponds go?
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    My doctor gave me a perscription for it and I tried it.....it did NOTHING for me. No weight loss, no energy, no nothing. Obviously that is just my experience. I would do more reading up on it to determine if it is something that is worth your time and expense to take. And in the long run it really does not matter what any body else thinks because you have to do what is best for you. However, all I would advise is really educate yourself on the drug to determine if it is worth it for you. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Bridget0927
    Options
    If turning to drugs doesn't work, then you could always have a feeding tube installed...doctor supervised, of course.

She kindly asked to not judge her.

Agreed what's wrong with ppl being bullies :sad:
  • amandagaines_05
    amandagaines_05 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well, It's not my place to judge. But I will say this, Im not on board with obesity being labled a disease. Cancer is a disease. I think anyone can distinguish between the two. That being said my concern for you is what happens when you lose the weight? If you havent changed your life style and your eating habits you will more than likely gain the weight back. The drugs may be a short cut to get where you want to be, but have you put the steps and discipline together to maintain the weight loss. Just something to think about. Goodluck

^^^This
  • Bridget0927
    Options
    Where do lost ponds go?

To a far far away land with lollipops and gum drops :laugh:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I took it years ago. Worked great! BUT I couldn't sleep and antsy nervous feeling all day. AND I gained all the weight back plus more when I began eating again.

I wouldn't recommend it. Good ol' fashioned exercise and eating good foods are better for you in the long run.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Gawd, people are judgemental. Haven't we all tried some kind of cheat? If there is anyone on here who hasn't tried or at least considered Atkins or Dukan or the Master Cleanse or Alli or Ephedrine then let them stand up and be counted. I very much doubt there is anyone here who hasn't hoped for a magic cure.

Yes, I agree that there are better ways of doing it but there are also better ways to give advice than sarcasm.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Where do lost ponds go?
    I think they discussed this in Fried Green Tomatoes.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just because a doctor is supervising it, doesn't mean it's a great idea. Doctors also supervise "Medical Weight Loss" programs where you start out for like a month on an 800 calorie a day diet. I don't care who you are, 800 calories a day is not healthy or sustainable. They also supervise that feeding tube diet...again...not really a great idea.

The way I see it, do you plan on taking phentermine for the rest of your life? If not, you're going to gain some of the weight back when you stop taking it. Just like anything else. Extreme diets, workout plans, etc. If it's not a LIFESTYLE change, it's not going to work in the long run.

Your average family practice doctor does not know a whole lot about weight loss. They are required to take like one semester of nutrition in their entire medical education career. I would suggest seeing a registered dietician and a GOOD personal trainer (do your research because there are crappy ones out there) and skipping the phentermine. Good luck.

Edited to add that phentermine used to be available in over the counter diet pills about 10-15 years ago (I took some in high school). It has since been made ILLEGAL by the FDA unless prescribed by a physician. I feel like that's a pretty big red flag right there...

SAID WELL. Obesity is not a disease unless you have a disease that CAUSES obesity. Obesity is merely the product of a mis-informed populus. We are "growing" as a society because of our lifestyle choices......how does that make it a disease??????
This discussion has been closed.