South Beach Diet, who else is in???

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good luck guys. I'm not doing south beach (I generally always eat low GI, so I'm close to that), but I think it's one of the best, most sustainable formal diets.

It's a low crap diet.
  • neutralize
    neutralize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting and totally do-able, I've heard it but never really looked into it. I went to the website and it sounds like I could still do it as a vegetarian. Can someone explain though, do I need to pay to use the site to be able to follow it? I went through the signup and I think it said it was a 7 day free trial.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for a while and I feel so much better when I'm not eating carbs and sugars. My cholesterol is down and I'm losing weight steadily and I don't feel like I'm going to pass out an hour after I eat since my blood sugar isn't crashing. My pancreas produces way too much insulin when I eat bread, sugar, rice, etc so now I don't have that problem because I'm not eating it anymore. When I do cheat, I feel horrible (literally) so it keeps me honest :)
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm following SB. I'm on Day 4 of the Phase 1. I'm committed to a low gi diet due to my family history (lots of diabetes and gestational diabetes), my creeping weight and beginnings of insulin resistance. Plus, I want to get pregnant and I need to get a handle on my weight and blood sugar. My doctor is very in favor of this diet for my circumstances (although she said to start with phase2 and avoid the splenda).

I'd love some friends who are on SB or any other low gi or low carb diet. I'm very active, so I'm considering going to phase 2. However, my blood sugar has started spiking after even a small amount of healthier carbs. It is really awful! It would be great to have people to compare notes on this diet with.

I have an older copy of the book and I have the SB cook book. Also would love to trade recipe ideas!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting and totally do-able, I've heard it but never really looked into it. I went to the website and it sounds like I could still do it as a vegetarian. Can someone explain though, do I need to pay to use the site to be able to follow it? I went through the signup and I think it said it was a 7 day free trial.
    You need to pay for parts of the site but not for the daily tips and advice. I have the free iPad app and can read the forums but not post in them. I think if you pay you also can keep a food diary there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If you have the book? No. Heck you could read about the foods on a website and follow it. It's not very difficult.
    Edit: I just downloaded the free iphone/ipad app and if you scroll along the top it explains the diet pretty well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    FYI I started on the South Beach 17 months ago and lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks. It was the best jump start I ever got on a diet and it fit in so well with my gluten allergy.Actually my doctor recomended it. After Phase 1 ended up going to a nutritionist because I couldn't add in whole wheat because of the gluten thing and my blood protein levels were bad. My nutritionist tweaked the diet for me and Voila! 17 months later I have 169 lbs lost and 9 more to go. Check out my food diary
    This is fabulous!
  • crobertson87
    crobertson87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with south beach on and off. I went on SBD while in college and lost about 35 lbs and kept it off for a couple of years. Now, since having been diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance, my dr. prescribed a low GI diet, and said that SBD is one of the best. Been back on about a month, but having a bit of difficulty (went a little crazy in phase 2) thinking of doing another week on phase 1 to get my carb levels back under control. Please feel free to add me! I'd love South Beach friends!
  • sarahowe07
    Options
    My Dr recommended I go on the SBD due to my sugar issues. I am however waiting until May 16th to start Phase 1 strictly, due to 3 birthday parties between now and then, and our huge town celebration, which I know I'll be going out and drinking haha So instead of setting myself up for failure I'm waiting a few weeks to get started...but I'm going to somewhat give it a try. I have my meal planned out for tomorrow and I have added a light yogurt, an orange and an apple (which I know are not allowed in Phase 1). I'm glad to find this group :) I can use all sorts of support!!
  • SlimHeffa
    SlimHeffa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 lbs down just finishing 2 weeks of Phase 1. Feel great and my skin looks awesome (never heard of that being related but thought id mention it.

I'm going to stay on Phase 1 for two more weeks because my husband started yesterday. I like the tea approach.
  • kwilso34
    kwilso34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have 4 days left on phase 1 & have lost 7 lbs. Thinking about staying on until I get to 10lbs down. Scared to transition to phase 2 but love the diet so far.
  • Revenga1980
    Revenga1980 Posts: 63
    Options
    I did the South Beach Diet a few years back and lost lots of weight which I kept off until 2 years ago when I had to take prednisone. I tried it again recently and it isn't working for me this time. Not sure why. Worked great the first time though
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I did the South Beach Diet a few years back and lost lots of weight which I kept off until 2 years ago when I had to take prednisone. I tried it again recently and it isn't working for me this time. Not sure why. Worked great the first time though
    Are you still on the prednisone? I had to take that once, and another steroid once. HATE THEM!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    While I've never done the South Beach diet (or any formal diet), I did read the original book, and learned a LOT about nutrition. I'm now reading his follow up book, which also talks a lot about exercise.

I'm basically undoing my previous post where I said read about it on the internet. I'd forgotten how much good information there is.
  • bonster1983
    bonster1983 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I AM!!! I started it on Monday. I feel like I have already lost weight.
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    Could anyone give me an example of a food day on phase 1?
    would this be a south beach diet...
    Eggs & slamon for breakfast
    tuna salad for lunch
    chicken and veg for dinner
    and snacks of nuts, veg, cottage cheese... is hummus/plain greek yog aloud?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Could anyone give me an example of a food day on phase 1?
    would this be a south beach diet...
    Eggs & slamon for breakfast
    tuna salad for lunch
    chicken and veg for dinner
    and snacks of nuts, veg, cottage cheese... is hummus/plain greek yog aloud?
    In phase one, everything except the mayo in the tuna salad, and the amount of oil (I think) in the hummus would be allowed. The greek yogurt in phase 1 would need to be both plain and low fat.
    After 2 weeks hummus would be totally fine in south beach terms.
    Vegetables: it would depend which ones, and he'd want you two have 2 cups I think.
    Here's a list of the "foods to enjoy" in phase 1 (ignore the guidelines).
    http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist_p1.htm

PS: in his new supercharged book he says if you don't have cravings for sugar, or eat a lot of sugar, or need to lose a lot of weight you can skip phase 1.
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    Options
    I haven't done it but both my parents are on it and my dad has lost almost 20 pounds and my mom almost 15. They've been on it for a few months. It must be a decent diet if they aren't bored of it yet!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have done this diet in the past...bottom line...it works, especially if you want to get yourself off the sugar addiction - just make sure you follow the rules and gradually add good carbs back into your diet. I would do phase one and lose a bunch of weight and then jump back to my old habits.
  • tdvogl
    tdvogl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump