South Beach Diet, who else is in???

Options

Replies

• hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Dude, the south beach diet is sooo...like...2000. Didja miss a decade?
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks for that!
    My tuna does not contain mayonaise - I can't stand mayo!
    Its the sugar i'm trying to get rid of, i've ate so much of it latley need a 'sugar detox' to get my healthy habits back
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    And? :smile:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Why do you say that? Has the science of metabolism and blood sugars changed in the last 12 years? I'm thinking you're one the many who think South Beach is simply low carb--it's not.
  • teristoots
    teristoots Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on the South Beach Diet for about 3 months. I LOVE it. Having said that, I needed to because of my hypoglycemia. The good thing is, I have lost almost 20 lbs. It is crazy, but it is an awesome feeling. I will tell you that the first 4-5 days are the hardest. But now, it is extremely easy. And I have added regular meals at dinner time. The same meal I fix for my family. I am still losing weight! Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Why do you say that? Has the science of metabolism and blood sugars changed in the last 12 years? I'm thinking you're one the many who think South Beach is simply low carb--it's not.
    Apparently he's a trendy dieter? Dunno.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with south beach, but can you use sweeteners like stevia and splenda? What about natural sugars, or is it more table sugar?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm not familiar with south beach, but can you use sweeteners like stevia and splenda? What about natural sugars, or is it more table sugar?
    You can use stevia and splenda, and tiny amounts of natural sugar. High Fructose corn syrup is out (which it should be). Google it. It's basically a healthy diet.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You can use stevia and splenda, and tiny amounts of natural sugar. High Fructose corn syrup is out (which it should be). Google it. It's basically a healthy diet.

Ah, so things like soda pop and junk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Ah, so things like soda pop and junk.
    Yup. You eat food. Not much that's processed.
  • Revenga1980
    Revenga1980 Posts: 63
    Options
    I did the South Beach Diet a few years back and lost lots of weight which I kept off until 2 years ago when I had to take prednisone. I tried it again recently and it isn't working for me this time. Not sure why. Worked great the first time though
    Are you still on the prednisone? I had to take that once, and another steroid once. HATE THEM!

Not anymore but the weight just stays on despite my efforts. I think something broke my metabolism or something
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I did the South Beach Diet a few years back and lost lots of weight which I kept off until 2 years ago when I had to take prednisone. I tried it again recently and it isn't working for me this time. Not sure why. Worked great the first time though
    Are you still on the prednisone? I had to take that once, and another steroid once. HATE THEM!

Not anymore but the weight just stays on despite my efforts. I think something broke my metabolism or something
    I did prednisone a few years back as well, and it took MONTHS to get my body back. Even my period!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! May I join you over here? :flowerforyou:

Yesterday I decided to cut / limit my sugar for 30 days and it turns out I'm trying to do something very similar to the South Beach Diet so I'm hoping to get support and ideas over here. I have tried for years and years to lose weight -- counting every calorie, working out 500+ calories several times a week, eating my exercise calories, etc. -- but I'm still 30lbs overweight and have not seen any loss in over a year. In all those years, however, I've never been able to completely break up with sweets. I love them!

So, this is a test to see if I can walk away.

I am also not allowing myself artificial sweeteners, Stevia, Splenda, etc. so I'm not sure what the SBD policy is on that.

I'm going to read up a bit more on the SBD to see how it parallels with what I'm trying and if Phase 1 dovetails with what I'm doing.

Good luck to everyone!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am also not allowing myself artificial sweeteners, Stevia, Splenda, etc. so I'm not sure what the SBD policy is on that.

SB allows artificial sweeteners. Stevia isn't "artificial", it's a plant that is very sweet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

SB allows artificial sweeteners. Stevia isn't "artificial", it's a plant that is very sweet.
    South beach allows it, but doesn't require it. I think she will fit in quite nicely. :smile: I'll suggest she work towards dumping the other whites and beer!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to start the South Beach Diet again soon too, although I need to eat/get rid of everything in my house that isn't allowed first. I don't like throwing food away, so I'm aiming for starting in about a week. I did it a few years ago and felt great (after the first few days), but kind of fell off the wagon after Phase 2. This time I expect it'll be easier to stick to since I've already broken my addiction to fast food and have been preparing all my own meals for the past year. I'm only trying to lose about 10 lbs and I really want to build muscle, so I figure this would be an easy way to limit my carbs and make sure I eat enough protein. I'm glad to have others to talk to about the experience! :happy:
  • Fit4LifeNow65
    Fit4LifeNow65 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Starting SB today with my husband. We have done it before and it was the diet recommended by his cardiologist. I need to lose 12 lbs, he has about 60. We are starting on Phase 2 though because it is easier for my husband that way. He is not great with having all his favorite food options taken away at once. I have done this before -the weight loss is a little slower but still works.
  • Fit4LifeNow65
    Fit4LifeNow65 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We cleared out the house yesterday of 'non-SB food'. The food bank received a few bags of things and some opened items did go in the trash but better there than on my backside LOL
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm in! Starting SB today with my husband. We have done it before and it was the diet recommended by his cardiologist. I need to lose 12 lbs, he has about 60. We are starting on Phase 2 though because it is easier for my husband that way. He is not great with having all his favorite food options taken away at once. I have done this before -the weight loss is a little slower but still works.
    The "new" South Beach Supercharged book has a section on starting with phase 2. He says it's fine.
  • claaron
    claaron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow, with my husband!