How do you report a group?

Options

Replies

• yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to leave the decisions up to the people making them. It's nobody's business but their own. You may be alarmed but it's not your choice. Don't make decisions for others. The government gets jealous.

So true.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Your concern is understandable based on your personal history, but I cannot see where this would be against any site rules.

??

From the guidelines page:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There are people who are very restriced for their intake. We don't always k now what their medical history is. My intake was modified because of health reasons. I hate to think I would be bloced for doing what the dr request from the dietitian. Sometimes it's best not to judge others. I understand because of your problem. They are hurting no one if it's a medical condition. Just my two cents worth. It doesn't concern me cause it doesn't affect me. It's their life.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Not everyone who eats 800-110 calories/day is going to develop an eating disorder. I believe your opinion is tainted by your own history. You can report it, but I doubt MFP will make it go away.

I concur. There are also those who are under physicians care.
    According to the same logic - I'm leading to anorexia because I never consume more than 900 calories.
    Guess what? I'm not. But my private medical history isn't your business.
  • surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    Are you the Internet police?
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options

^^
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've reported this to a site moderator.

I inadvertently reported it initially to the moderator of the group itself, and didn't get very far. But I did get a *charming* pm from the group host. A lovely lady. Very warm.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It's a valid concern. I'm sure the mods check up on things like this, and I'm sure pro-ana groups pop up all the time, whether this is one of them or not...

You never know what the situation is, though, and some people may be on their way to surgery and told by the doctor to eat 800-1200. For most people it's not recommended, but some may be on HCG, as stated, or some may be under doctor's orders....

I can understand why you would be worried and trying to look out for other people so they don't have to go through the same thing you have. Ignore the snarks, we have a bunch of know it alls here who don't like to see from anyone else's point of view. :P

We can all be like that from time to time, though. I'm glad you're concerned but I don't think there's anything we can really do about it.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Maybe there "Little people".:smile:
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options

^^
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Is it actually promoting VLCD's or is it discussing them?
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree it is unhealthy. I went and checked it out and most of the people that have posted are eating 800-900 calories a day. Just seems too low to me. But the creator of the group said that if anyone posts in the group disagreeing or trying to argue that it is unhealthy, she will ban them. Not sure if you can report a group.. Or even if they would take it down.

you are correct about the point of disagreen this whold board has place to dicuss anything you want.
    the people in that group are not stupid, they know everything you want to tell them
    they just don't want to hear it mmmmkaay??

this it their buisness.

the group also does not define what low calorie. if a person eat 1500 calories but in there opinion that low so be it as long as they do not INSULT OTHERS.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Your concern is understandable based on your personal history, but I cannot see where this would be against any site rules.

??

It very clearly breaches the rules of the site. And if you scroll through the membership list there are already several '18 year olds' on there who don't look 18, who from their photos don't need to lose weight, and who are mightily proud of their ability to eat dangerously low cals....

There's a reason why MFP has historically not allowed the promotion of VLC diets.
  • Sunny_Sunflower
    Sunny_Sunflower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    not sure where to report it, just check the people in that group are not small and have sedentary life, i.e. under 5ft with a desk job, as an 1100 calorie goal would be normal for a calorie deficit for that type of person.

I'm 5'4", with a desk job, working from home, so I dont even walk to a coffee shop in the day, which means for my height/weight/lifestyle I maintain at 15-1600 calories and need 1200 to create a deficit for dieting.

A low calorie group for concern would be below 1000 cals.

Some are as low as 800.

A lot of people are on 600-800 cal diets for weight loss due to health issues and it can be promoted by a doctor or medical professional.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Is it actually promoting VLCD's or is it discussing them?

i do not promote anything, it is a safe place from insults to discuss what ever they want.

i really dont care if a person eats nothing but jelly beans for a diet, their business, but the should not be insulted for it either.

i am pretty sure everyone on this site is an ADULT.

i can ad that disclaim to the description if it will make the nosey people happy
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the public backlash that the OP is getting. She had a concern regarding the group and wanted to see if it was founded (reporting it). I don't agree with the thread grouping (it should really be in tech support, not motivation & support). I personally applaud her for trying to discourage unhealthy methods and follow the site rules.

I would like to point out, however, that maybe the members of the group are receiving medical attention/advice and being told to be in VLCD. If that is the case, in my opinion, the group name was probably named poorly. Something like 'Medically Advised to be on VLCD"
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    While I would be concerned if someone weighing 300 pounds was only eating 1000 calories a day, I would not if that person was 5' and 110 pounds. <1200 is not unhealthy from everyone. We have to learn not to paint with so broad a brush.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    MFP police here. Okay as for your punishment we are going to come to your house and force feed you or you won't be able to use our site anymore.
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options

i really dont care if a person eats nothing but jelly beans for a diet, their business, but the should not be insulted for it either.

I never knew of a jellybean diet but damnit I think I'm in! :tongue:
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Oh phew, just in time!!!! a fellow busybody has reported it to the mods. We are all saved from the small group of people expressing their right to discuss subjects freely in a group open to other people of like minds. Whatever would we do without the MFP wannabe police checking up on possible under 18's sneaking in to discuss a subject with people they trust since they are too embarassed to discuss at home! Thank goodness busybodies have ruined their open lines of communication because its against the rules for which there are already a large number of Mods to govern. Lucky for them they have lives of obesity, fatness as misery ahead because their accounts will now be banned as a result of such well considered nosiness. Wow!