Tell me your secret weight loss tips!!!

Options

Replies

• Judys59
    Judys59 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am also new to MFP. Week 2 ,I gainned 1 pound. Have a total loss of 1.5 so far. I am eating below my calorie recommendations. I am kinda bummed. I have increased my exercise big time. ( I have been exercising for past 4 months prior MFP) i feel great, but want to loose weight. I think I might have gained in muscles. anyway, I am not giving up, becasue I feel so good. My question is how do I post a new message on the message board? Please advise. Judy
  • SBerrio
    SBerrio Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The best mantra for keeping yourself motivated

" You will never regret going to your workout, but you will always regret missing it" AND " when you find the excuse " i have no time" turn OFF your TV/phone/blackberry and computer"

AWESOME. i'm going to print these 2 quotes. Thanks!
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to print all these posts and stick to my fridge!! Will be inspired and motivated all day :happy:
  • pandaJOY7
    pandaJOY7 Posts: 11
    Options
    My secret is spending time in prayer and meditation. It takes the focus off of food and living to eat.

Love all the good tips here. I also make sure that I drink enough water that has helped my weight loss tremendously. Another big help is having an accountability partner, a friend of mine that is also on MFP.

I have lost 68 pounds since Thanksgiving on a physician-supervised weight loss program. It includes a diet coach who teaches us about nutrition and exercise. One of the biggest things I have learned is to count calories (both from eating and from exercising) and write them down so I can see my weekly expected weight loss. It helps on weeks when the scale doesn't seem to move. It eventually will move and match up to my expected weight loss.

I also find ways to reward small and large goals with things besides food. That keeps me motivated to follow the meal plan and to do the exercise even when I really would rather veg on the couch. I have had a difficult time lately, so for the next few days if I can stick to my meal plan, I will get to go on a fun day trip.

Not so much of a secret, but those are my tips.
    Hope it helps.
    :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The biggest "secret" is that there's really no magic cure, but you've made a really good start. These are some things that have helped me:

-Measure food as accurately as possible, log everything and try not to sneak bites and nibbles of things that you can't accurately track

-eat enough! MFP sets a lot of people at 1200 to start with, but this might not be enough. Find out your TDEE and BMR and try to eat at least your BMR. It's so tempting to make your calorie deficit as big as possible, but you need to fuel your body, maintain as much lean mass (muscle) as possible while losing fat, and avoid damaging your metabolism.

-eat back your exercise calories. Be aware that MFP can overestimate calories burned through exercise, so take that number with a pinch of salt, but at least eat some of them back. Consider investing in a heart rate monitor at some point.

-Definitely a marathon, not a sprint. Take it slow, and keep it off. Don't try to lose too much at once. For the amount you have to lose, 1 lb a week is a reasonable goal. Safe, sustainable weight loss takes time. It's easy to get bored and frustrated, but keep in mind why you wanted to lose the weight in the first place. You'll get there!

-take photos and measurements as soon as possible so you can see your progress even when it feels like it's going too slowly. Sometimes you can see your measurements changing even if the scale isn't budging.

-try not to stress too much over the numbers on the scale. Don't freak out if you don't lose for a couple of weeks, or even gain. Weight loss is not linear and there are so many variables; as long as you are meeting your goals, you will be fine. Drink water and track your sodium intake to avoid being surprised by water weight.

-Read the threads under "success stories", the before and after pics are really motivating

-look into lifting heavy weights if you don't already. You won't "bulk up", but you might be surprised how it can change your body. Lots of women on here have had great success with lowering their body fat percentage (getting smaller but not necessarily lighter) with weight lifting.

-Read lots on these boards and elsewhere to learn as much as you can about nutrition and weight loss. There is a lot of really good information on these message boards, but also a ton of well-meaning misinformation. Try to find the ones that know what they're talking about and have the results to show it! Don't be put off by the arguing and sarcasm that's all over the place, but be aware that if you ask for advice, sometimes the most positive and supportive comments aren't giving the best advice. Also, look into the groups for more message boards that are about specific topics that you might be interested in.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    hey there, I share tips on my site all the time if you want to visit...

www.mommasweightloss.com

The truth is that there is no secret... just hard work and dedication!

Good luck
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't use MFP calorie settings, they are too generic and cause you to under eat. Be sure to eat your BMR plus TDEE minus 15%

^^^This is working for me.
    I haven't found it "tough going"at all. I am amazed how much fueling yourself properly can help keep cravings and binge eating to a minimum. You don't have to be deprived while losing weight. Work out what your BMR and TDEE is and work from there.

Good luck. I wish I had found this site years ago.
  • KittyHeff
    Options
    Must google BMR and recalculate!!!
  • KittyHeff
    Options
    Actually, can explain BMR/TDEE/ etc. in law mans terms!!!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You have to believe you are worth the effort to lose weight and be healthy. Forgive yourself if you mess up and get back on track immediately.
  • TinaBudimlic
    TinaBudimlic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you change the setting from the default setting? I'm having trouble locating this.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options

BMR - amount of calories you use just being alive laying in a coma state

TDEE - amount of calories you burn per activities, example:

Sedentary - 1.2 (little of no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active - 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active - 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk

Very Active - 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk

Extremely Active - 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2x days)

Take BMR times TDEE minus 15%-20% to lose weight :)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day. Every single day. If I skip, I'll drop the plan completely. I read once that it takes 21 days to creat a habit. Make it a habit.

Do some strength training. You'll see better, faster results. Cardio alone takes way longer.

Dump the processed food. It has too much hidden junk in it.

Drink lots of water.

Cook cleaner; eat moe often.

Keep healthy snacks (fruit, veggies, nuts) handy and eat them often so you don't get hungry. Hunger is a sign your metabolism is slowing. Avoid it.

Good luck to you and all of us!
  • KittyHeff
    Options
    Thanks @lambertj . That's fantastic. Going to work that out now!!
  • lambertj
    Options

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

If you use this for your calories you do not eat your exercise calories back like MFP does because they are already incorporated in your TDEE
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't use MFP calorie settings, they are too generic and cause you to under eat. Be sure to eat your BMR plus TDEE minus 15%

In my case, MFP is right on target. Not sure why some people say this.

Yeah, it was correct for me as well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If you use this for your calories you do not eat your exercise calories back like MFP does because they are already incorporated in your TDEE

Or, you can calculate your TDEE at sedentary and then eat back your exercise calories. I actually like this method better since I don't consistently burn the same calories every day.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Don't quit - no matter what. That has been the pivotal thing for me. I also switched my mindset from "I've got to lose weight" to "I've got to get healthy." Once I did that, there was no more on my diet/off my diet. There was no more, "I MUST..." It became, "I want to do this." I set small, reasonable goals and no longer punish myself if I slip up by gorging on food so that I can start my diet "tomorrow." When you believe that you are adopting healthy habits to carry you through life instead of doing a diet until you lose the weight, it feels less like a burden and more like taking care of yourself.

Good luck!
  • KittyHeff
    Options

BMR - amount of calories you use just being alive laying in a coma state

TDEE - amount of calories you burn per activities, example:

Sedentary - 1.2 (little of no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active - 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active - 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk

Very Active - 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk

Extremely Active - 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2x days)

Take BMR times TDEE minus 15%-20% to lose weight :)

Just worked it out and I've been eating way under what I should be eating. I feel satisfied but could defo use these extra calories for more fruit!!! Thanks
  • lambertj
    Options

Or, you can calculate your TDEE at sedentary and then eat back your exercise calories. I actually like this method better since I don't consistently burn the same calories every day.

Good point, if you aren't consistent in your exercise, this is a good option. The only problem I have with it is that I work out at night and am usually not hungry the day of a good burn, but moreso the next day