Secret Dieting

Options
13»

Replies

• happypath101
    Options
    My Mom was always on a diet - and always really big. I cringe at the word. I say things like "I'm being really disciplined about what I eat right now". Or, I'll even soften it up further, e.g. "I'm trying to be really disciplined about what I eat right now." I find myself putting it in context as well, e.g. "since I got back from vacation" or "because I've got an awesome date planned for Saturday and I want to indulge myself then". I suppose I'm a little self-conscious about it, but that's not the end of the world either.
    Whatever you call it - congratulations on taking care of yourself!
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone for the first 7lbs, and then only my boyfriend and parents knew until the first 20lbs was gone. I've never lost weight before so I wanted to test myself and see if I could actually do it without anyone knowing that I'd tried and failed.

Thankfully, I never did fail, but it's not a secret any more, it's too obvious to hide now, especially since I'm always trotting off to the gym/pool and buying in lots of healthy foods (aside from the fact losing 47lbs is hard to hide).

I say go for it, keep it secret until you're 100% sure you're able to carry on through with your lifestyle changes, don't call it a diet, or at least not to others, the "are you allowed to eat that cake?", "should you be eating out 3 times a week?" questions tick me off when I've burned off 1450 cals and earned my cake lol!
  • Caro1991
    Caro1991 Posts: 97
    Options
    When I was yoyo dieting I use to be the same... But once I would stop/fail everyone would start talking and my my mom would just try feeding me more and guess what I would eat just because I was upset and because if I wouldnt eat her and my sisters/nieces would start saying thing like "you know you want to eat" ect. Well now that I am making better choices and doin this to change my life I have stand up to them but they do not know I am doin this. Just my bf and my mfp friends :) am changing so tthey have notice so thats good :)
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I told my husband when I started South Beach, but wouldn't tell anyone else. I needed to tell someone because I need to be held accountable, that's what makes me succeed. I just don't tell everyone. I agree, it's no ones business!

What I did focus on is telling a few of my "running" friends that I was starting to run. I needed their encouragement and support with that part. Plus they can appreciate and rejoice at my happy moments and help with my questions! I just FINALLY (after 5 months!) was able to run a 5K nonstop. Don't worry, you'll get there and it will feel AWESOME!

I waited until a few friends noticed the weight loss and just commented that I was eating healthier. I focused more on how good I felt rather than the weight loss. This is helping me too.
  • painterlyme49
    Options
    I agree with hmd. Think of your change in lifestyle as a gift you are giving yourself, not as a chore or a thing to just get through. As for your friends....They mean well, I'm sure. Be honest with them and gently tell them that you are struggling and need support, not policing.

You might consider a method some of my friends use. Give yourself a free day each week. Not a binge, but a few special treats to look forward to one day each week. I can't do this because I'm short and old, lol. ). I could gain 5 lbs on one day and have (:

MFP is a valuable tool! Just read the success stories. It is important to record every bite you eat. Everytime i have tried to just cut down on my portions, I have failed. When I track every calorie I succeed. You will be amazed at the quantity of foods you can eat when you choose healthy.

Looking forward to seeing your success story posted here. You can do this!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress!!! Well done:flowerforyou: Try to think of it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. A very healthy and exciting journey for YOU!....And screw what everybody else thinks!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm ready do this for me!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone for the first 7lbs, and then only my boyfriend and parents knew until the first 20lbs was gone. I've never lost weight before so I wanted to test myself and see if I could actually do it without anyone knowing that I'd tried and failed.

Thankfully, I never did fail, but it's not a secret any more, it's too obvious to hide now, especially since I'm always trotting off to the gym/pool and buying in lots of healthy foods (aside from the fact losing 47lbs is hard to hide).

I say go for it, keep it secret until you're 100% sure you're able to carry on through with your lifestyle changes, don't call it a diet, or at least not to others, the "are you allowed to eat that cake?", "should you be eating out 3 times a week?" questions tick me off when I've burned off 1450 cals and earned my cake lol!

Exactly! if it doesn't fit, I don't eat it, but you bet I'm going to eat it if I earned it! Thanks for the support and congrats on your own success!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I agree with hmd. Think of your change in lifestyle as a gift you are giving yourself, not as a chore or a thing to just get through. As for your friends....They mean well, I'm sure. Be honest with them and gently tell them that you are struggling and need support, not policing.

You might consider a method some of my friends use. Give yourself a free day each week. Not a binge, but a few special treats to look forward to one day each week. I can't do this because I'm short and old, lol. ). I could gain 5 lbs on one day and have (:

MFP is a valuable tool! Just read the success stories. It is important to record every bite you eat. Everytime i have tried to just cut down on my portions, I have failed. When I track every calorie I succeed. You will be amazed at the quantity of foods you can eat when you choose healthy.

Looking forward to seeing your success story posted here. You can do this!

I've got the before pics ready, just working towards the after! Thanks!