Question for runners w/ iphones

Options
I'm hoping to start running outside soon (transitioning from the treadmill). What running apps do you like? I don't need anything that'll integrate with a HRM (at least that's not really an important feature for me and I don't think it'll sync with my polar anyway). I mainly want to track distance and pace.

The best rated ones I've found cost somewhere between $1-3 so even though it doesn't seem like much, I don't want to end up buying 3 or 4 (or more) different ones - just seems like a waste.

Thanks!

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I tried using the iphone apps but I ended up buying a garmin forerunner 305 does everthing I need and I use a shuffle for music. But of course there is a cost associated with that.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The only running app I use is "Zombies, Run!" Worth every penny. I hate doing interval workouts, otherwise.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lol I saw that one but didn't look into it - I wasn't sure how serious of a running app it was but I certainly will now.

I don't want to invest in another HRM since I use my current one for more than just the treadmill/running. Not to mention I invested in a good quality one and I'll be bringing my phone with me anyway for safety purposes. So it's definitely more economical for me to just invest a few dollars into an app rather than a new piece of equipment. At least until I know I'm going to stick with running outside.

Thanks for the input!
  • magicae
    magicae Posts: 19
    Options
    I use RunKeeper, which is completely free and works great. :)
  • Vernswifevickie
    Vernswifevickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use JogLog and I love it. It was $2.99.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I use the nike plus app, which I've liked so far - it cost about $5.00. From what I've seen most of what it does is very similar to runkeeper (but I just looked at runkeeper and you can manually enter workouts there). the weakness of Nike Plus is that you cannot enter something manually. I may just try Runkeeper out now too!
  • aspethe
    aspethe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+GPS..
  • nphillips0124
    Options
    I use... well, it's just called "Pedometer" (that's what it's titled on the home screen). It's a pedometer that allows you to input your weight/measurements, listen to music, tracks your running history, etc.... all I need to run!
  • jbantum
    jbantum Posts: 3
    Options
    I use an app called "Endomondo" on my Droid (believe there is an Iphone version as well). Completely free and tracks distance and time. It also tells you at each mile what your pace is and what your overall time is. Plays well with Pandora radio as far as cutting in to tell you the times I just mentioned.
    Also, you can log on to www.endomondo.com and see where you just ran on an aerial map. You can even post your workouts on Facebook, if you want to.

Endomondo and Pandora are what keep me running every week...without them I'd be lost.....
  • tscott10
    tscott10 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper, which is completely free and works great. :)

I use Runkepper too! I like how it tells you if you’re on pass and how far you have gone while running outside. I run Pandora too at the same time and it is awesome!
  • yjdekle
    yjdekle Posts: 12
    Options
    MapMyRun is a good one. I also use RunKeeper which you can upload your playlist from your iPod on that app. I noticed RunKeeper uses a lot of battery juice though because both things are being used - music and the tracking. Then again, my phone is older and therefore the battery is dying. It sucks up the juice no matter how I use it these days, but I digress. RunKeeper also has a voice that interrupts the song in 5 minute intervals to let you know how far you have run in that time. It's a good app to have if you're looking to improve your time. These days I'm tracking my distance and time with MapMyRun and clipping on my iPod separate from my iPhone so that I don't have a voice interrupting my run every 5 minutes. I just want to throw my earplugs in and go and then review my distance and time when I'm done.
  • ljm0521
    ljm0521 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRUN and love it. It's free :happy:
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I like map my run and it's free! You can use the regular website too to map out a run before you go. Highly recommend it.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    ENDOMONDO - FREE - LOVE IT!
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It was the lack of ipod/music controls in mapmyrun that was a bit of a turnoff to that particular app. I've messed around on the website though to figure out some theoretical routes. I just don't want to be switching between apps when I'm running (I can barely focus on the run as it is so I probably don't need more distractions!).

I figure any app that continually uses the GPS is going to drain my battery - the normal maps app does the same, but what can you do other than get a completely separate GPS like someone else suggested.

Thanks again everyone! Feel free to keep the suggestions coming :)
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I use cardioTrainer. It has Music controls and GPS so you can see where you are running. You can also get a bluetooth Polar HRM and it will track your calories based on heart rate. They offer a free version that works well for me, but does not give you the option to race agaist your previous times on a course.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    OP I use iMapMyRun almost exclusively. Ran an 8k, half-marathon and FULL marathon with it!!! I don't run without it. If you want music, simply start iMapMyRun then your iPod. It's not that bad on the battery, although after 4 hours on my arm the iPhone was a bit heavy. For free you don't get much better than that.

Some of my running buddies in our run club use RunKeeper, it's also good as well.

You can get a free HRM from the AppStore, called "Instant Heart Rate", it uses the iPhones camera and flash. Amazing!

I would say half my friends use Garmin 305s, but I'm not gonna pay separately....I love my G-shock watch and it looks good.

Anyway, the iMapMyRun app was 1 second off my official time for the 8k....it's extremely accurate. Make sure you have voice feedback ON and it gives you your pace/distance every 1/2 mile if you want. Like I said, I don't run without it. It's always on my arm, and I run a lot. Training for a half-marathon now....and the fact it tells you your pace during a race is invaluable...especially if you want to make a certain time.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Mapmyrun and zombies!, run are the two main ones I use.

Map my run is great because of all the information it gives.