Question for runners w/ iphones

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I use mapmyfitness. It's free.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    I use an app called "Endomondo" on my Droid (believe there is an Iphone version as well). Completely free and tracks distance and time. It also tells you at each mile what your pace is and what your overall time is. Plays well with Pandora radio as far as cutting in to tell you the times I just mentioned.
    Also, you can log on to www.endomondo.com and see where you just ran on an aerial map. You can even post your workouts on Facebook, if you want to.

Endomondo and Pandora are what keep me running every week...without them I'd be lost.....

I use Endomondo as well on Android, but they do have an iPhone App.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    I use Runkeeper for my walking, jogging and biking. I have an armband for the phone that works nice. I hit up Pandora for workout music.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    I second (or third?) runkeeper! It's super simple and you can access all the info online too.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    I use map my run! Free!
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Nike+GPS...its interacts flawlessly with music, and I happen to like the "pep talks" at the end of a run.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    I use this one too I like that it tracks distance, average pace (min/mi), average speed, and time. It also tries to calculate calories burned but its off I use my polar FT7 for that.
    I use MapMyRUN and love it. It's free :happy:
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    I've tried a bunch, mapmyrun, runkeeper and runtastic, I think I had the best luck with the last one. The problem with all of them is that the GPS signal varies, and they were "pretty" accurate, but not 100%. I ended up getting a Nike Sportsband and once I got it calibrated, I absolutely love it. You can get just the sensor and the Nike app and it looks like it does the same thing, with iPod/iTunes integration. Plus, the sensor can upload all your stats to both Nike and MapMyRun for tracking and history. Good luck!
  • I use iMapMyRun and it works fine for me
  • MaritaD
    MaritaD Posts: 178 Member
    I use RunKeeper, which is completely free and works great. :)

I use this one too, can't go wrong with free, and it has GPS, tracks your distance and pace! You can sync your ipod to it and listen to music and it "interupts" you every 5 minutes to tell you how far you ran and what your average pace is! It's great!
  • nbkpjud
    nbkpjud Posts: 33 Member
    Mapmyrun...free and is great...
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Nike + GPS!!!
  • cam_l20
    cam_l20 Posts: 95 Member
    I also use Runkeeper - it works well and is free - what more could you want??

It shows you a map of where you ran, overall time, splits, average pace (plus a detailled breakdown of pace), speed, elevation, calories burned and keeps a running total of distance and calories for you as well. It even gives you the option to take photos on your run which it adds to your map in the place where you took them. It all links up to an online account which is where most of the info is displayed. This is mine to give you an idea: http://runkeeper.com/user/cam_l20/profile Though I've had a bit of a break recently due to a sprained ankle. Just started running again this week...

*edit* Forgot to mention that Runkeeper has a function for people who are interval training (e.g. on the C25K programme) - you can set your own intervals and it'll tell you when to stop and start.
  • aricbramlett
    aricbramlett Posts: 16 Member
    RunKeeper is great. It has coaching options to tell you your time/distance/pace/intervals during your run. All of these options you can select or deselect. It also has an option to listen to any playlist on your iPhone. And it is free. I love it
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    I use Nike GPS for Iphone and I LOVE IT!
  • RArmor
    RArmor Posts: 6 Member
    I like the Garmin Fit App, it cost 99 cents and has all the same features as a Garmin Forerunner. I have used it and ran for as long as 3 1/2 hours and still had battery left. If you decide later to use a foot pod or heart rate monitor with it they have an ANT device that plugs into the phone that will allow you to use any of the Garmin devices, heart rate monitor, foot pod or cadence sensor for cycling,
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Which iPhone?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Bump for later!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Thanks everyone! It was the lack of ipod/music controls in mapmyrun that was a bit of a turnoff to that particular app. I've messed around on the website though to figure out some theoretical routes. I just don't want to be switching between apps when I'm running (I can barely focus on the run as it is so I probably don't need more distractions!).

I figure any app that continually uses the GPS is going to drain my battery - the normal maps app does the same, but what can you do other than get a completely separate GPS like someone else suggested.

Thanks again everyone! Feel free to keep the suggestions coming :)

The paid MapMyRun has the ability to control the music, the free one doesn't.
    I use Mapmyrun. I went with the paid one but the free is just as good. I got it to control the music and don't really bother.

I have done pretty long runs, like 2 hours, with it and still had enough battery. Just lock the phone when you start.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    I use MapMyRUN and love it. It's free :happy:

Ditto