Question for runners w/ iphones

Replies

• I love the Nike + App. You can use it on the iphone, but also you can get loads of support from their website. The App is a one off payment - about £4, but it tracks everything, distance, pace, time, calories burned. I've used it for organised runs such as 5Ks 10Ks and half marathons and the miliage always matches with the miliage of the route. I.e its accurate. If you like Facebook, you can link it to that as well and get cheers from your friends as you run!! You can also have a male or female voice that encourages you as you run, telling you your distance and pace....you can switch this off if you don't like it. Its really good!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    I have runkeeper and C25k (which I dont use lol).....I have also been trying to figure out what good running apps there are. I need something to track how many miles I run
  • quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    bump
  • d1jackso
    d1jackso Posts: 4
    I use miCoach from Adidas. It's free, and it's really great. In fact, it's largely responsible for me being into running. It not only tracks distance, pace, calories, route, etc., and syncs up with your music, it also will create specialized training programs for you to, e.g., train for a half marathon, full marathon, 5k, etc. You run a diagnostic where it figures out various "zones" of effort (blue is easy, red is where you're pushing your hardest) and then uses those for a variety of running workouts to make sure you're pushing yourself but also doing proper recovery (easy) runs. You can hook it up to a heart-rate monitor, but I haven't found that to be necessary given the zone/pace-based training. You can track everything not only on your phone but on a free personalized website. And they recently added a bunch of strength training and stretching stuff where a little video right on your iPhone shows you what to do. I swear I don't work for Adidas, but I really do love this app especially since it's completely free.

http://www.adidas.com/com/micoach/ui/Product/#!/mobile
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    I use runkeeper, which does the job well, and I think its free. It also syncs up with fitocracy so I get my points! yay!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    The only running app I use is "Zombies, Run!" Worth every penny. I hate doing interval workouts, otherwise.

Isn't it amazing? I love this app. I never looked forward to running before I got it. I do wish it told me my pace during the run itself, but eh. I'm too busy collecting first aid kits and sports bras and escaping hordes of zombies to care.

RunKeeper is good but rarely accurately tracks my run. I got serious blips all over the place (like it will track me two miles from where I am and back instantly, messing up my mileage and pace for the entire run). I've read that it's an iOS 4 issue. Sometimes it's better if I disable wireless and turn off the location service feature for everything but runkeeper.

True, I have forgotten to turn off wireless a couple times and it says I did something crazy like a 4 minute mile running zig zag all over the place. When I disable wireless, though, I've never had an issue.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    I use MapMyRUN and love it. It's free :happy:
    I agree, MapMyRun is by far the best free ap I have used. You can enter your HRM calories into it but it doesn't sync. Plus you can search thousands of runs around the city you live that people have already mapped out. Its pretty cool
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I prefer iSmoothRun over RunKeeper. It still logs to your RunKeeper account, and can even do a live RunKeeper feed. But it also includes better prompting than RunKeeper (you can set your target pace and it will tell you if you need to speed up), supports heart rate monitor if you have one (so you can set intervals for a target heart rate zone) and various other trackers, tracks cadence and has a metronome, etc. You can easily export logs to e-mail form the iPhone. You can set your music/podcasts/audiobooks to pause instead of fade out during prompts so that you don't miss any of it.

I find the tracking to be much more accurate than RunKeeper, which too often loses the GPS signal and gives bizarre results (which also mess up your personal records if you don't delete them). If iSmoothRun loses GPS, it switches to accelerometer, but also seems to just have better "reality checks" built in.

It also tracks shoe mileage, so I know how long I've had each pair of shoes (yes, you can track multiple pairs).

It also has a cool ghost run feature where you can run against your previous record. (Have to try this one of these days!)

You can set up custom activities and tell it how you want them tracked.

You can set reminders to eat/drink during the run.

If you're trying to burn off a certain number of calories, you can set a goal for that number of calories and it will let you know when you reach it. Lots of options for custom intervals.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Another run keeper user here!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    iMapMy Run - it's free. also tracks bike rides and walks - updates on the go with pace/speed/distance. will give you an estimate of calories burnt when you enter your stats.
  • AyanaSan
    AyanaSan Posts: 93 Member
    I use Mapmyrun, it's free and I havent experienced any bugs like some of the other apps.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Not so much for distance tracking, but for varied progressive interval workouts, lolo BeatBurn is fantastic. Syncs your music to your pace and gives stats at the end of the run. No GPS, so it's only tracking by what it's telling you to do...not what you actually do. But as long as you keep up to the workout it's pretty accurate.

This app is pretty much the only thing that keeps me getting back on the treadmill (it works great outside too).
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Bump! I need to get with the program :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Endomondo!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Love Cyclemeter. Am able to use it with my bike, running, walking, etc.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Nike+GPS and Runkeepr... They are the best Im looking at trying the zombie app just for fun
  • I use mapmyrun and it is free!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    mapmyrun
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    mapmyrun -- free and check other routes on it
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Runkeeper here for me. Tried Nike+ but didn't care for it.