Don't want to be rude BUT

Options
mem1086
mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
I need some help! So everyweek at my job we have a lunch and learn meeting where lunch is provided. This is great for the wallet, but bad for the waistline. The woman in charge of ordering is rather large and has little to no concern for eating healthy. SO that means that I am stuck eating fatty greasy foods. For instance, this week is Ham, baked bake mac & cheese, and salad. The mac and cheese is so loaded with grease that it has in the past upset my stomach, and since I have not had anything this heavy in a while, I know it will end badly in the bathroom later. Now before you go and tell me to load up on salad, they only order enough for a side salad, so I dont want to be a pig and load up on it.

My question is, is it rude go and get a salad from the salad bar? I have already been told I am too skinny, so I am sure this will go over like a ton of bricks. I have already offered to help plan what we are eating, but that is not working, obviously.

Please help!

Replies

• Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have got to the point when in that situation I bring something or load up on salad. When people are eating those other things salad is usually the last thing on their minds. Also keep a stash of Zone Perfect bars on hand. They have saved me on many occasions.
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It might come across as rude if you do this on your own and the person organising may feel that you are attacking. Why not get the support of some of your colleagues and 'mention' that the food choices could be more healthy. Perhaps say how much you enjoy the meetings but wish there was more choice?
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Not rude. Not rude at all. You can still eat with them, but not what they're eating.
  • barbbrend
    Options
    Listen girl, it's your life. there is no reason why you should put something in you mouth that is going to upset your insides.Go to the salad bar often enough and someone might follow your example. It is not rude to eat what your body needs. do not apologize. laugh and eat what YOU need. :flowerforyou: ::drinker:
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I would just pack a lunch and explain that you're trying to watch what you eat. Nobody should argue with you about that, and if they do it's kind of rude on their part.
  • Lisamar74
    Lisamar74 Posts: 114
    Options
    Definately not rude. Just say that the last time you had it you got an upset stomach and that you're trying to eat healthily. You could even take something in and say it was left overs from your meal the night before that you don't want to waste.
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Pack a lunch. Then, if someone points out the obvious, just say "no thanks, I brought my own" and then drop it. It's really none of their business what YOU choose to eat for lunch.
  • RoseyK
    RoseyK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Every year my job has us all go to the home office for the annual meeting. We stay a few days and the company provides us with free lunch. The lunch is usually large sandwiches with chips, cookies and a regular soda. This year, I took charge of my own dietary needs... when lunch was served, I went down to the cafeteria and bought a large garden salad and some grilled chicken and sugar free ice tea. People were surprized and I just explained that I had health issues that required me to eat healthy. I also packed healthy snacks for break time. Everyone was okay with it.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you shouldn't have to eat what everyone else is eating. You should be allowed a choice because the food that everyone else is eating is too greasy, too fatty and might be bad for your health.

I'm not trying to be rude to the person that is bringing this food in, but these people generally get like that because they eat too much and too much of the bad stuff. It doesn't matter if you are skinny or not, you can still gain weight by eating healthy food, but nobody should just eat junk food to put on weight because it's bad for there health.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have to legitimately ask. What's unhealthy about mac and cheese?
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Definately not rude. Just say that the last time you had it you got an upset stomach and that you're trying to eat healthily. You could even take something in and say it was left overs from your meal the night before that you don't want to waste.

this
    if it makes you sick, do not eat it!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Simply pack a lunch and refrain from making any comments about the food selection. You have to do what is right for you and your body and if others make comments- let them. Just smile, be polite and refrain from judging anyone else for what they are eating. This is your journey, your wellness, and if others don't understand or respect it, let it be their issue- not yours.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It might come across as rude if you do this on your own and the person organising may feel that you are attacking. Why not get the support of some of your colleagues and 'mention' that the food choices could be more healthy. Perhaps say how much you enjoy the meetings but wish there was more choice?

Its actually not rude at all.. in fact, its rude that everyone who participates is not taken into consideration of finding out what each person would like.

The person who does the ordering should be taking the time to ask each person rather than ordering everything for them...

To the OP: Have at it! We have events like this all the time. Can you imagine how many luncheons we have with all of the pharmaceutical reps (I work in healthcare)? Thankfully they always ask us ahead of time, what each person would like. They also ask us "does anyone have food allergies?"... as a way to make sure no one gets sick if its a air-borne allergy... I have allergies and sensitivities so if someone were ordering for me, I would tell them "it needs to be about what I can have for me" otherwise Im hightailing it to the salad bar and asking to have a chicken breast ordered.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about it, and if they don't like it, its their problem! Go to the salad bar...
  • mattmoo33
    mattmoo33 Posts: 36
    Options
    why not eat before the meeting and just have a small side salad whilst you are there?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Just because someone else isn't being healthy does mean you shouldn't be to please them. If it makes you sick that's a great reason right there. You don't have to say it's because you are watching your weight. Just say the grease upsets your stomach and bring something else. Or ask for them to get something else for you. Vegetarians or people with Kosher diets would, why shouldn't you?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have to legitimately ask. What's unhealthy about mac and cheese?

The OP states the grease is a big issue with her stomach thus making her sick... could be even more than just that but OP didnt mention anything further...
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is rude of the person planning these meals to only order fattening foods. More companies are focusing on health and wellness, maybe she should start with her lunches. I fall into the same situation at my office. I have food allergies and also try to eat healthy and very seldom do they think of that when ordering for the entire office. I just bring my own food.

Go get your salad and enjoy it.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Listen girl, it's your life. there is no reason why you should put something in you mouth that is going to upset your insides.Go to the salad bar often enough and someone might follow your example. It is not rude to eat what your body needs. do not apologize. laugh and eat what YOU need. :flowerforyou: ::drinker:

I so agree! It's not your fault that you dont eat what everyone else does. Our church has all types of functions and my father doesnt eat pork or beef. He still eats with everyone but he eats what his body can tolerate.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Screw what other people tell you - You need to do what's HEALTHY for YOU.
    Don't do something terrible for your body because you're afraid of jealous comments. If anyone calls you too skinny, it's because they wish they were as thin as you.