Don't want to be rude BUT

Options

Replies

• SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I would just bring my own lunch and when they ask say the food doesn't agree with me and ask if they could order some extra salad in the future so you can have more of that with them. Not rude at all. I think what is rude is that they don't ask what people want to eat and accommodate their eating preferences. When I had a work lunch they came around with a menu and everyone chose what they wanted to eat. It was simple.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I have had situations similar to this lately (we're having another potluck tomorrow!). In the last 2 years my co-workers have seen a complete transformation in me and now they get it... she won't eat that!!!! If they get pizza... I go and get my own Subway. Sometimes I eat with them (if I have to, I like my space at lunch, but this issue is about work meetings, so you won't have that choice) but I bring what I want or go get it. If I had access to a healthy salad bar I would do that. For me it's not about the free meal, which is a nice perk, it's about the rest of my life.

No reason to lie, don't make up excuses... just do what's right for you! If that means packing a lunch or getting a salad, do it. No apologies. It's not rude, and maybe if you do it every time you'll have others who are sick of the fatty food and start to join you! You never know.. you could start a transformation in the workplace!!!!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I was in this exact situation a few weeks ago, My office was having a pizza luncheon & the pizza they ordered was soooo greasy. I took one look at it, knew what trouble my tummy would be in & went & got my salad that I had brought that day and brought it back to the conference room where the event was being held. As they all chowed on their pizza I enjoyed my delicious healthy salad. Sure I got comments but I didn't care. I will not give in to peer pressure when it comes to eating something that I KNOW will put me in pain later.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not rude and it's none of their business. No one should be forced to eat food he or she doesn't want to eat.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Just bring your own lunch and tell them the other food upsets your stomach. Then let it go. Just eat and don't care what they think. If you do that every week, they'll get used to it and finally accept it. You don't have to put a judgement on what they are eating, or even care. Just make sure you have what you need.

Last time I did that kind of thing, I wound up sick the next day and couldn't leave my house. So, take care of yourself!
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all. You're eating with the rest of them
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If I don't want to eat what we're having at our lunch and learns I just pack a lunch, no one really thinks anything of it!
  • Angela_Freeborn
    Options
    The way i see it is, you are in it for yourself, if others dont feel the need to eat clean then they can deal with the concequenses. But you are. so I personally would deff go get what i want.. not what is put in front of me. and if she thinks it to be rude well thats life. you need to look out for yourself and your own well being :)
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Be proud of being the first one to eat healthy at the meeting.
    If your colleagues are commenting upon it, it is only because their own bad conscience is nagging them, because they know that they should be eating more healthy themselves :-)

This! I work with mostly pigs & let me tell you, I get so many rude comments. I know it's only because they feel guilty for not being better about their health!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't eat what will make you sick.

Sadly, some people are completely blind when it comes to ordering food. There was a big push in our office to get some work items out the door. I myself pulled an 18 hour day and many of the others pulled 12-16 hour days to get this stuff done. The project lead thought he was being very nice by ordering a dozen pepperoni pizzas. The problem was that a solid 60% of our office is Indian and surprise, vegetarian. Even if you don't know them personally you can guess by their country of origin that at least some, if not most don't eat meat. I mean who orders a dozen pepperoni pizzas? There's bound to be someone that is vegetarian or doesn't like pepperoni or something. Props for the thought, but I wish there was a little more thinking involved.
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It is not rude to be in control of your health. I think it is rude not to have a healthy option, what if someone has heart problems and is not allowed all that grease. Plus ham is very salty. They should order a very large salad for those people who may not be able to eat what everyone else is eating.

Eat what you want, when you want. It's not at all rude.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    It's a cultural thing, and it's changing fast. For instance, we've gotten to the point in this society where smoking cigarettes is shunned and embarrassing. People used to turn a blind eye toward it for societal and cultural reasons. Society and culture have changed.

Eating garbage and being overweight is going to head the same way.

I've turned down gross mass-produced sheet cake at office birthdays, and been pressured by unhealthy coworkers - - "oh you can afford it!" I just say, "I afford it because I don't indulge. I can't have it both ways. Enjoy!"

What it WOULD be rude to say is that - - if I'm going to cut loose and indulge, it's going to be for something exquisite - - not some generic Food Lion yellow cake and chemical-tasting 3-tbsp buttercream frosting balloons for February Birthdays.
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    NOT rude!!!
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    You could try to get involved in ordering the food. It might me extra work but its worth it otherwise you could at least talk to the person ordering and ask for more salad? Don't make too big of a deal of it :)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Listen girl, it's your life. there is no reason why you should put something in you mouth that is going to upset your insides.Go to the salad bar often enough and someone might follow your example. It is not rude to eat what your body needs. do not apologize. laugh and eat what YOU need. :flowerforyou: ::drinker:
    ^^this
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'd have a side salad or something at the meeting and then have a Clif Bar or a meal from home when I got back to my desk.
  • mcandyr
    mcandyr Posts: 36
    Options
    There's no reason you HAVE to eat what's there just because it's there, bring your own food - and then you'll eat what you want and have no complaints or stomach upsets.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Not rude. Not rude at all. You can still eat with them, but not what they're eating.

THIS!
    The ones that take offense are the ones with the problem. Expect some office talk about you, expect some comments to your face. But next time someone tells you that you are too skinny, tell them they are too fat and ask what the differnce is? If you shouldnt be offended when they comment on your weight why should they get offended when you comment on theirs?
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'd have a side salad or something at the meeting and then have a Clif Bar or a meal from home when I got back to my desk.

Then they will say that she is starving herself. Let them see her eat, making healthier choices.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not rude. Simply explain to the person concerned that you don't want to eat it because you don't want to get fat.

Remember to maintain eye contact with them whilst saying this, and offer a slight smirk to reassure them.

I hope my adviced helps you. :)