Don't want to be rude BUT

Options

Replies

• cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If this was just a "once in a while" thing, I'd probably suggest nibbling at what they bought, etc. But since this is a weekly issue, I see no reason why you should feel obligated to join in with food that you wouldn't normally eat.

There are tactful ways to handle it, but I think you shouldn't be made to feel bad if you don't want to have a weekly "go off the rails" meal. It's reasonable to ask to have some healthier choices, especially if you're offering to help make it happen. Good luck!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i would lie and say i was suffering from a diary allergy and that milk products were upsetting my stomache lately, then get a salad and a little ham.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Take your own meal in.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Invent an allergy, or become vegetarian...
  • leelee330
    leelee330 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In my opinion - you can do do one of two things - plain and simply -- either ask that they add something vegetarian (just say that so you don't have to explain your "diet" - I order food for corporate meetings all the time and ALWAYS include vegetarian and otherwise healthy options - its not about ordering what I WANT - its about ordering what the majority would like and to provide options - but I understand you cant really say that to the person ordering --) OR, you can bring your own (which is what I would do) and, if anyone says anything - handle it with grace and say "I prefer this, thank you" - you do not owe anyone an explanation to why you eat the way you do :)
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Listen girl, it's your life. there is no reason why you should put something in you mouth that is going to upset your insides.Go to the salad bar often enough and someone might follow your example. It is not rude to eat what your body needs. do not apologize. laugh and eat what YOU need. :flowerforyou: ::drinker:

This.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Also, if you claim you have IBS and then go into great detail about the symptoms and what each specific food does to your bowels they will be happy to let you eat whatever you want ;)
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It's your body! :angry: Eat what you want and screw what other think!:grumble:

Yeah!:glasses:
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    The person doing the ordering might think that she is ordering what is termed a balance meal- Meat, starch and vegetable, but does not realize that it isn’t. I find it interesting that you judge the person as not caring what she eats when I think we were all like that at one time, until MFP. I would do one of the following: Ask if you can help with planning the menu. Bring your own lunch. Eat your lunch before and have a side salad.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    With that menu I would have the ham and salad and bring an extra morning snack and extra afternoon snack. Eat before you go in, have the lunch but don't eat the crap that will upset your stomach and then eat an afternoon snack a little later.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it.
  • grt2b40
    grt2b40 Posts: 9
    Options
    Simply pack a lunch and refrain from making any comments about the food selection. You have to do what is right for you and your body and if others make comments- let them. Just smile, be polite and refrain from judging anyone else for what they are eating. This is your journey, your wellness, and if others don't understand or respect it, let it be their issue- not yours.

Completely agree!!!!!!
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    Once a month we have a lunch thing as well. The civilians do not understand that the military can not afford to eat all the crap they can eat. I will take my own meal in that I know is healthy and not loaded. There is a difference in being skinny and being healthy. Keep doing what you are doing and eat the way you want to eat. Sometimes being up front and honest is called being rude, so be it!
  • missy787
    missy787 Posts: 35
    Options
    why not eat before the meeting and just have a small side salad whilst you are there?

^^^^^ This is what I would suggest. Good luck!
  • JessDorian
    Options
    It's your health your life you just want to look after yourself whats wrong with that. So be rude who cares, feeling bloated and heavy is horrible. Pitty you can't say this is Occupational health and safety all this unhealthy food lol
  • joyous504
    joyous504 Posts: 72
    Options
    I don't care what others think about what I eat and obviously they don't care what they eat. You do what is best for you and forget about what everyone else to say. :flowerforyou:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Tell her you can't eat the ham (pork) for religious reasons, and you're lactose intolerant so you can't eat the mac and cheese. When she says, "Really?", you can say, "No, but I thought it would be rude to say that I just don't like to eat foods that make me fat." :wink: :laugh:
  • joyous504
    joyous504 Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm a vegan, BTW, so half the time I can't eat anything my family or co-workers decide on. I usually just eat before I go...
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I can't eat ham, it literally gives me a migraine (I think it might be the high sodium), so to something like this I would just bring my own food or tell them that it makes me ill and that I would be getting the salad bar to keep myself from feeling like crap. It's not rude at all to decline something that will make you feel sick.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    If people in your office are very personal and likely to ask a lot of questions, it is very hard to not appear rude. You may find it helpful to keep a few standard answers for the inevitable questions about why you are eating something (or not eating something):

"Dairy just doesn't agree with me anymore" - when offered pizza, mac & cheese or anything else loaded with cheese, mayo, etc.
    "I'm staying away from <insert any food here> to determine if I have a sensitivity to it"

For those really chatty folks - you may have to listen to some diatribe about the topic, but I just go with the "smile and wave" philosophy. Listen and move on.....

Good luck!
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well you're definitely not over weight but that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat healthy. I've known people who were skinny who had heart attacks and strokes. I have this problem alot at church dinners and with family eating out. I try to insist on buffets when we go out so I have a choice. The church dinners are different though so I eat light and make up the difference later. I also don't eat pork, shrimp, etc. for religious reasons and everyone seems okay with that although they don't always understand. I tell people there are two things overweight people need to understand. 1. No one is going to take it away from you (sometimes we eat like we think they are) and 2. This is not the last meal you're ever going to get (and if it is that means you're getting ready to go to see the L-rd). This usually gets a chuckle but it's true. When you get your mind wrapped around this it will help you understand what's needed on your journey. Don't worry about what they think. If you need to get a salad, get it. If you need to take more salad from what they bring, do it. Good luck.