WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST 5K RUN TIME

Options
Hello Lovely MFP peps. in a little over a week i will be running my first 5k im very new to running so im extreamly nervious about it... my goal is to just finish, and not to walk any of it... Ive been practicing a 3 mile run lately and i can complete it in just under 31 minutes. which to me i know isnt the fastest, but it is totally awesome because on the tredmill it took me over 40 minutes just a short 3 weeks ago.

im curious to see what all of your first 5k run time's were. did you enjoy it? how long had you been running before you signed up?

Thanks in advance for any responces :happy:

Replies

• wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first 5k also. I just started running a few months ago. My miles average 12 minutes though so you got me beat by alot. :) I have one month left to train and right now my main goal is to be able to run all three miles also. Then I will work on speed.
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    My first was 36 minutes so you've got me beat!! Good luck to you. Try not to focus on the time for your first race though, just enjoy the experience of what you're doing. It's a great accomplishment!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was run in 38:15, my goal was to run it under 40 minutes and I had only been running 6 weeks when I ran that race - then 6 weeks later ran my 2nd 5K and ran that one is 33:13

Good luck to you
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine was 34:34. They are SO addicting! I ran a 10k last May, and am now currently restarting my training so that I can run a half marathon in September!
  • sanren79
    sanren79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what my time was....I was just determined not to be last. I had 4 people behind me...yeah!
  • themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i did mine earlier this month and it was 43:15. I did walk/run it :)
  • firemama
    firemama Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My first was 11:10, not the fastest...My second way 10:39, running in the rain I think my time would have been faster if I had not been afraid to fall while running. I was extra cautious on this day! I have another one in July and I am hopping to run it in 30 min flat or less.

I have found that I always run a bit faster on race day then training on a treadmill. For me the treadmill gets boring right at the 20 min mark and I tend to lose focus and get bored. I think you'll be able to complete the 5k at about 27 min, depending on the weather conditions. Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    42flat
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was on my high school's cross country for three, the most painful (combined total) 9 months of my life lol. But I'm pretty sure my first time was in the mid to high 30s, and the very last meet of my senior year my time was 29:10
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My first time was 29:49
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    yea took me about 30 mins so I think you are doing well!
  • kcggirl
    kcggirl Posts: 3
    Options
    Mine was 33:36. Just focus on the distance - not running or walking!

I will be completing my 8th 1/2 marathon next weekend. Love it when people ask "Did you run the whole way?". I always want to ask "Did you get up off the couch??".

Congratulations! You will catch the bug!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My first 5K in December was 34:55!!! I had a bridge on that first run too... which I wasn't prepared for!!! I had just completed C25K 2 days prior to my run!

Under 31 minutes is awesome... I don't think I do that even now!!! Haha!!

My first experience was great!! It was a Christmas run at night in downtown Jacksonville. It was a family event with lots of runners and walkers... and lots of people dressed up!!! The adrenaline on race day is what really pushes you through!!!

You will do fabulous! Don't worry about your speed so much.... enjoy this first race and take it all in!!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was Dec. 2010, about 3 months after starting C25K and I finished it in 29:01; my most recent 5K was on March 24 and I finished it in 23:49...so it can get better!
  • shellybarbal
    Options
    My first 5K time was 27'14" and my second was 25:06. In high school and college I could not run a 5K to save my life. It is all about training!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    My first 5K ever was Warrior Dash. Its a crazy style mud run with tons of obstacles. I did it in 49 mins. I do run and I do 10 min miles.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My first one was in January, finished it in 31.30 and now only three months later I ran it in 25.47. Be warned, it's addictive! :bigsmile:
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    you all are awesome, thanks so much for the well wishes and to everyone that responded :flowerforyou: i apprecaite it!!! i cant wait, and i believe you all when you say its addicting, i am already slightly addicted i enjoy running outdoors so much i do it ANY chance i can!!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My first 5k time was 24 m. It was 1985, I was in the Army and it sparked a love of running that continues to this day! Happy trails!
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    my first was 34 mins but hopefully next time will be quicker as jog a lot more now