Options
124»

Replies

• NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    STEP AWAY FROM THE KEY BOARD!!!!
    [/quote]

LOL, I just imagine little angry batman yelling this and stomping... and....

Okay, I'll go now..
    [/quote]

Awwee..That Lil Batman is my grandson..Not a Bird, Not a Missile, Not a Plane..Just BATMAN!!:flowerforyou:
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    A lot of people on this website are not fluent in English like native Brits or Americans or Aussies or Kiwis or Canadians etc.
    Have a little respect for the people who learn to speak English among other languages, and cut them some slack.

I totally agree with you.
  • cassietn
    cassietn Posts: 48
    Options
    Haha ok we'll just agree to disagree.
    No need to agree to disagree. It's fact, dear. I invite you to investigate, and augment your honors studies.

journalism degree and a more than a decade in newspapers, if we're throwing down credentials ... and loosing is a word.
    :)

(it is misused here all the time, yes. but it is still a word.)

Ok fair enough. I will admit that I'm wrong. I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone here. But loosing is the wrong word to use in this context am I correct?
    And I wasn't trying to say that I know everything because I was an honors student. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I was just saying that it made me a grammar nazi and the word loosing didn't seem like a word to me. But if someone had just explained it to me without being rude I would have admitted that I was wrong.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    loosing or lowsening

— n
    dialect ( Yorkshire ) a celebration of one's 21st birthday

The end.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSwMk9oyf9M67Az8MROnd7qfDNUw0ZEBpE7GMGj1EsYHilZ7UUtg
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have a loose tooth that I think I am going to lose.

Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice.....
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on this website are not fluent in English like native Brits or Americans or Aussies or Kiwis or Canadians etc.
    Have a little respect for the people who learn to speak English among other languages, and cut them some slack.

I am Canadian, and would just like to point out that I am fluent in English, as are most of the Canadian population. The other portion speak French.
    (however, not to say those are the only languages spoken within Canada...)
  • Niagarasailor
    Niagarasailor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    loosing or lowsening

— n
    dialect ( Yorkshire ) a celebration of one's 21st birthday

The end.
    We have a winner!

This thread is now closed.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Ok fair enough. I will admit that I'm wrong. I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone here. But loosing is the wrong word to use in this context am I correct?
    Depending on the context, one could make the case that it is being used appropriately. As a verb form, "loose" means "set free, release". If one is setting free excess weight, couldn't one say that he/she is "loosing weight"?
    And I wasn't trying to say that I know everything because I was an honors student. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I was just saying that it made me a grammar nazi and the word loosing didn't seem like a word to me. But if someone had just explained it to me without being rude I would have admitted that I was wrong.
    Oh, dear. I was cordial in my exchanges. I hope that nobody was being rude.
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options

I am Canadian, and would just like to point out that I am fluent in English, as are most of the Canadian population. The other portion speak French.
    I fear that you misread this, dear. Do you really believe that she was saying that Brits, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis & Canadians do not speak English? Really, dear?

Hardly anybody that quoted that actually got it.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSwMk9oyf9M67Az8MROnd7qfDNUw0ZEBpE7GMGj1EsYHilZ7UUtg
    That new game sounds good - like Arkham City/Asylum, but with Spidey!
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am Canadian and I must say this is getting embarrassing - the writer was saying that Canucks, Brits, Aussies etc. ARE native English speakers. In any event, I doubt it is really those whose mother tongue is not English that write about "loosing weight" et al. I hear and see a lot of bad grammar emanating from native English speakers. Personally, I think it would be great if people could mend their ways in regard to these errors and not get super defensive about it, but for some reason pointing out grammatical errors always raises people's hackles.
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    I thought I was going to be safe from grammar Nazis here. :(

I'm tired of always hearing "seeing 'word' misspelled/misused drives me INSANE!!!1!!" No it doesn't, so shut up.
    You know what they meant, they know what they meant, we're not being graded on forum posts or article comments, so just give it a rest.

(Also, claiming to be new to a forum doesn't absolve you, I know you're not new to the Internet.)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    As it is an adverb I am pretty sure you cannot add -ing to it...

And if this is a repeat thread then I apologize, but I have only been on here a week so I have no way of knowing (that it was a horrible thing to mention.) :)

Lurking new forums is a wonderful thing. :)
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Golly but hunger sure makes people grumpy.
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I fear that you misread this, dear. Do you really believe that she was saying that Brits, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis & Canadians do not speak English? Really, dear?

Hardly anybody that quoted that actually got it.

"That's because it was not written clearly," said the writer.

:) This thread is hilarious. I love Katysmelly... hunger sure makes people grumpy! Word!
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. That is awesome.