Ideal weight for 5'5''- 5'6''

Options

Replies

• mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"6 and I currently weigh 158. I would like to get and stay under 155. I wear size 10 pants and most medium shirts. I have a pretty muscular build.
  • kelliebelly73
    Options
    I think what you are looking for is a BMI calculator (Body Mass Index). This site has one under the "tools" tab. You enter your height and weight and it shows you the healthy range for someone of your size and stature. Some BMI calculator also take into account your gender and frame size. Just google "BMI". I'm 5'6" and weigh 120 pounds, well within my range, but still need to tone up my flabuous flab!!! It really doesn't matter what number is on the scale, just if your clothes fit and you feel good!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's also neat to see that a lot of people are at the 1/2 mark with me. I find it really annoying sometimes. There is like a 50 calories difference between that one inch, and even though it's only 50 calories, over time that will make a difference, either toward loss or gain.. lol
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Haha. Not going to lie, I don't believe there is an "ideal" weight. There is a range based on your bone structure and height, and even then what really matters is how you feel and how you think you look.

I am also 5'5.5" as well! I am also big framed, so my range that I want is 155-140 lbs. But my main goal is to get fit and muscular. I even debate figuring out the inches I want to be at versus the weight.

Right now I weight under 180 (my weigh in day is technically Sunday, but when I looked at the scaled today I was at 177) an I wear a size 12-14 depending on the pants. Hope that helps? :)

Ideal weight meaning what each of us feels is the right weight for us based on us being familiar with our own bodies and how we've felt at particular weights in the past. That is why the charts offer such a wide range. Pretty much like you said.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    According to WHO, a healthy weight for you is ... 110-150lbs!. So, 130lbs would be ... "ideal".
    I just checked the WHO website...and yes, 110-150 for a 5 foot 5 female...my first short term goal is to get to 150...When I've weighed 135 I felt really good and everything I wore looked good....but that was years ago before babies...so not sure...taking it one pound at a time.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yeah. "Ideal" meaning, just what each individual is comfortable with. I just want to be realistic with myself.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'5 and start weight was 146, now at 139. My goal weight is about 132. But iI think it varies according to shape, and stature.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5 123 lbs but I have small frame I think 130-140 lbs is good weight
  • MereBear1985
    MereBear1985 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and currently 178lb. I have a "bigger" bone structure and a very athletic frame (from years of sports as a child). If I were to weigh under 150lb (which I did one time when I got sick) I would look "too skinny" so my goal weight is around 155lb. It is going to be different for everyone and depends on a lot of things. I don't even listen to the BMI scale that says 115-154 because if I went by that I would be forever overweight....kinda like my doctor told me I was when I was 16 and about 150lb.
  • jpfost
    jpfost Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    depending on your body type, could be from like 120 to 145
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5". I weigh 128lbs, but I have a higher percentage of body fat from the last time I weighed this amount, I believe. I just barely fit into my size 3 ****ies, again. There are some brands I wear larger or smaller. I'm more comfortable in a 4 or 5, though, at this point. I want to lose 3 more lbs (just so that I have a little bit of wiggle room away from 130) and get more toned, so I can fit into my pants comfortably, again. I have weighed 121, before, but I thought I was too thin, and too flabby back then. I hope to gain muscle. I wouldn't want to weigh any less then that, for sure, because I like having boobs, and I'm afraid if I went under that, I might lose them =(
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also have a bigger frame, but have been overweight for so long that I'm honestly not sure of a good goal weight! I'm currently 194 lbs, with my smallest being 155 lbs (high school) and my largest being 202 lbs (last year). My goal weight is 160 lbs, but once I reach it, I may decide to try to go smaller. I agree with the other posters that it really depends on body shape. I'm in a size 14 pants and am a solid 5'6".
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5". I weigh 128lbs, but I have a higher percentage of body fat from the last time I weighed this amount, I believe. I just barely fit into my size 3 ****ies, again. There are some brands I wear larger or smaller. I'm more comfortable in a 4 or 5, though, at this point. I want to lose 3 more lbs (just so that I have a little bit of wiggle room away from 130) and get more toned, so I can fit into my pants comfortably, again. I have weighed 121, before, but I thought I was too thin, and too flabby back then. I hope to gain muscle. I wouldn't want to weigh any less then that, for sure, because I like having boobs, and I'm afraid if I went under that, I might lose them =(

MFP thinks a brand name for work pants is a bad word -_-
  • KyleDanielle
    KyleDanielle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" with a larger frame and an hourglass figure (when its not obscured by extra fluff). My current goal weight is 160 which puts me at a size 10, but my stretch goal is 150, tho I'm not sure if that is enough to get me to an 8. I don't know if I can go smaller without looking funny. I would love to meet other people who have similar goals and/or body types, so feel free to add me!
  • ermahampton
    Options
    Use this http://forum.internationaldrugmart.com/general-discussion-f67/free-height-and-weight-chart-t531.html height and weight chart to check if you're the right weight for your height
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6 and my goal weight i 125. My starting weight was 163 and I wore a size 12. I'm right now 129 and wear a size 6. I don't focus on the scale very much since my goal is to really gain more muscle and strength
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and my goal is 145-160 (I will have a more firm number when I get closer), even when I was 133lbs I was a size 10/12. (Which is my goal is to get back to a size 10.) At that weight though I had a flat stomach, but well endowed in the hip/thigh/butt region.
  • itsmaymee
    Options
    I"m 5'5 and 193. My ideal weight would be 130 but I'll be happy to get back down to 140. Right now I wear a size 14 but I'd be happy in a 10 again.
  • runningwiththepups
    Options
    I'm 5' 5.5" :) I'm looking to get down to 125, which was my weight in high school (and I've been this height since I was 13!). I'm starting out at 173, and a size 12 jeans. I'm not sure on dropping sizes, since I wore a size 12 when I was in high school, but we'll see! :happy:
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 5 1/2" weigh 133 and wear a US size 4 / UK size 8.

ETA - not sure of goal weight, I expect it will be higher than it is currently as I do alot of strength training/lifting and this is my main focus as well as reducing my body fat %. I guess my goal is retain my current size/form, if not my current weight :)