The truth about margarine.. uck.

Options
13»

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find a pic I once saw, it was a plate with margarine, a diet margarine and natural butter. A dallop of each in separate corners. There was a line of ants marching up to the plate and 95% of the ants chose the natural butter. Doesn't that say something?! Even ants know to choose natural foods. I don't know if there's any truth to the claim about being one molecule away from being plastic or not but I do know it tastes like crap! lol I prefer butter and most things as natural as possible. I didn't always prefer this. I use to prefer convenience. Once I realized that eating more natural/clean (however you refer to it) is actually pretty easy, I've found ways to make it more convenient and it tastes WAY better than the processed stuff!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    One molecule away from plastic. Flies wont even eat it. I havent touched the stuff since Chemistry class in college. Nasty!
    You studied chemistry and you still think "one molecule away" means anything at all?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Probably a silly question, but I prefer butter as well, but what about in the summer? Can't keep it out because it melts, and if you keep it in the fridge it's rock hard. What to do?
    Butter melts at about 68℉. So, depending on what you need it for, you can leave it out for a while. Also, when it's cold, you can whip it with a beater, or if you use it for spreading, buy a spreadable butter, they sell butter that's whipped for easier spreading, and in some places you can buy butter that's been mixed with olive or canola oil for easier spreading as well.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I haven't used margarine in over 10 years but this will help me never use it again, thanks!
  • tigersword
    Options
    I wish I could find a pic I once saw, it was a plate with margarine, a diet margarine and natural butter. A dallop of each in separate corners. There was a line of ants marching up to the plate and 95% of the ants chose the natural butter. Doesn't that say something?! Even ants know to choose natural foods. I don't know if there's any truth to the claim about being one molecule away from being plastic or not but I do know it tastes like crap! lol I prefer butter and most things as natural as possible. I didn't always prefer this. I use to prefer convenience. Once I realized that eating more natural/clean (however you refer to it) is actually pretty easy, I've found ways to make it more convenient and it tastes WAY better than the processed stuff!
    Ants are attracted to food by odor, margarine is usually odorless. Plus, once an ant finds a food source, they direct the rest of the ants toward that one source. Kind of a biased example, don't you think?

Yes, butter is healthier than margarine, but please, can we stick to real health reasons for explaining it, and not sensationalism?
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options

(Correlation does not equal causation.)

.......... or ...... DOES IT?

Pirates may hate the cold for all we know. It causes their timbers to shiver?

So that's where they went!!!!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 lb butter with 1 cup olive oil & it spreads just like margarine. Tasty too! :D
    lolbutter.jpg
    Already been done. :laugh:

BEST.INVENTION.EVER

I love that stuff.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    The same can be said for all the sweeteners, flavorings, etc. Just stay under your calorie goals and use real butter, cream, peanut butter, sugar, honey, etc. ;) Much rather have a couple extra calories than all that artificial bs myself ;)

NOW yer talkin'!

pass the butter, please!!!

and don't bother sweetening my coffee with anything that ends in "via" or "tame".
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Ants are attracted to food by odor, margarine is usually odorless. Plus, once an ant finds a food source, they direct the rest of the ants toward that one source. Kind of a biased example, don't you think?

Yes, butter is healthier than margarine, but please, can we stick to real health reasons for explaining it, and not sensationalism?

I did not realize that the margarine had no odor so yes that does make it biased. As far as "real" health reasons I was giving my opinion on something I was made to believe true. All that needed to be said was the part about the ants choosing by odor debunking the picture. It still holds true that butter is healthier.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    One molecule away from plastic. Flies wont even eat it. I havent touched the stuff since Chemistry class in college. Nasty!
    Technically, all fats are "one molecule away" from being plastic. That's why plastic containers are so difficult to wash when they've been holding greasy, fatty stuff like meat or oils.

Margarine contains several chemicals that are also found in certain types of plastics. Pure animal and vegetable fats do not as they are natural substances. Personally, I will take the natural, high fats such as coconut oil, natural butter, etc. over chemicals any day.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You studied chemistry and you still think "one molecule away" means anything at all?

I didnt "study" Chemistry.. I took chemistry in college. Although I do have a degree in science. It doesnt take a Masters in Chemistry to know that something made mostly out of chemicals, cant possibly be as good for your body as a natural substance. It's not education, its common sense. Actually.... Splenda is sugar with a carbon molecule removed so yes, "one molecule away" does mean something. You dont have to agree with me, I am simply stating my own personal experience.
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    29947.jpg?v=1

Explain this one.

They don't eat enough butter to swim????
  • tigersword
    Options
    Technically, all fats are "one molecule away" from being plastic. That's why plastic containers are so difficult to wash when they've been holding greasy, fatty stuff like meat or oils.

Margarine contains several chemicals that are also found in certain types of plastics. Pure animal and vegetable fats do not as they are natural substances. Personally, I will take the natural, high fats such as coconut oil, natural butter, etc. over chemicals any day.
    And vanilla contains chemicals that are found in wood pulp. That's why liquor that's aged in oak barrels have vanilla flavors. Also, spinach contains chemicals found in the Eiffel Tower (iron.) Like I said, can we stick to health reasoning, and not irrelevant chemistry fear tactics. I mean, you can make plastic out of cellulose, in other words, vegetables. Should wes stop eating vegetables because they share chemicals with certain plastics?

Again, butter is healthier due to the fact that stearic acid in butter is heart healthy, compared to most fats in margarine which are not. Spreading misinformation and fear mongering doesn't help.

I didnt "study" Chemistry.. I took chemistry in college. Although I do have a degree in science. It doesnt take a Masters in Chemistry to know that something made mostly out of chemicals, cant possibly be as good for your body as a natural substance. It's not education, its common sense. Actually.... Splenda is sugar with a carbon molecule removed so yes, "one molecule away" does mean something. You dont have to agree with me, I am simply stating my own personal experience.
    If you have a degree in science, then you should know that EVERYTHING is made out of chemicals, which makes your argument invalid.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

And vanilla contains chemicals that are found in wood pulp. That's why liquor that's aged in oak barrels have vanilla flavors. Also, spinach contains chemicals found in the Eiffel Tower (iron.) Like I said, can we stick to health reasoning, and not irrelevant chemistry fear tactics. I mean, you can make plastic out of cellulose, in other words, vegetables. Should wes stop eating vegetables because they share chemicals with certain plastics?

Again, butter is healthier due to the fact that stearic acid in butter is heart healthy, compared to most fats in margarine which are not. Spreading misinformation and fear mongering doesn't help.

If you have a degree in science, then you should know that EVERYTHING is made out of chemicals, which makes your argument invalid.

Win on so many levels.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Spreading misinformation and fear mongering doesn't help.
    Heh. "Spreading". That's funny because we're talking about spreads. Heh. Yeah...
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Probably a silly question, but I prefer butter as well, but what about in the summer? Can't keep it out because it melts, and if you keep it in the fridge it's rock hard. What to do?

Research "French butter dish" also known as butter crocks or butter bells. They are a little crock that store butter and water (separately, of course) to keep it at the right temperature.

Thank you. :smile:
  • mygirls0912
    Options
    Take it out the fridge an hour or so before you are going to use it xx