Forgive my student loan!

Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You borrow money, you pay it.

You have a long time to pay it back don't you? So stop complaining.

Here in australia if you decide to go to TAFE (same as uni) you can't take loans out. You have to pay outright before starting your course.

You guys in america complain about so much. At least you have the loans, at least you have free doctors, at least your gas is less than $1.60 per LITRE.

That's a generalization about more than 300 million people and not a very fair one! Everything is relative. 1). Higher education in Australia is far cheaper than higher education in America. The cost of American higher education is the second highest in the world, and that's public education I'm talking about. Private higher education is even more expensive. 2) Free doctors? That's news to me...tens of millions of Americans don't even have health insurance. Maybe you're thinking of the UK? But it's not "free" even there because it's payed for in taxes, 3). Americans are used to paying a certain amount for gas per month/year and our budgets are adjusted accordingly. What may be cheap to you may not be cheap to us, and vice versa. It's also worth noting that America is a much larger country than Australia and Americans do A LOT of driving.

Uhh so do Australians??
    I travel 50km's/31 miles to get to school and back.
    We were paying only $1 per litre up til january of last year it's gone up to $1.60 since. And yes our budgets were adjusted accordingly, even considering I only earn $300 per week/full time.
    And yeah I have health insurance but it's not free you have to pay for it.
    Whether or not it's paid for in taxes even with insurance we have to pay anywhere from $60-$200.

****I'm not talking about everyone, just something which has come to attention with some of MFP's people.****
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    It would sure help us out, since we are paying my husband's and he hasn't been able to find a job in three years...
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It was the students who borrowed money, it should be the students who pay it back. it isn't my fault that someone took more loan than they could afford. I have loans and I'm paying them just fine.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This "parent" takes exception to the "our parents generation" comment! The economy ebbs and flows, always has, always will. I know the issue isn't all that simple but when it bounces back, your generation will think you fixed it, and when it suffers again your kids will be blaming your generation!

As to the student loans... These "parents" worked their a$$es off so my kids wouldn't have student loans. My oldest graduates with her nursing degree next month absolutely debt free. Her concession...she lived at home and went to the local university. My youngest is doing the same... In her first year at the local university. I think, if you have to do student loans, you should have to do the most economical choice, select a career where there is a demand, and if you are able to keep your marks up, then they should be forgiven them or portions of them forgiven. However there are people who go to university pursuing a degree "they are passionate about" that really doesn't have a job pay off in the end. There are others that go away to "party" and take out loans for living expenses as well. Those cases should have to pay them back.

Part of the issue is that so many people have degrees now that they aren't as "valued" as they used to be thus making the job market so much more competitive. That's just my opinion though! :flowerforyou:
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh college loans. I start paying mine back next month when I graduate, and I made stupid mistakes along the way because I was naive and didn't realize how big they could get. I also did not realize how insane tuition would go up over the span of 6 years. Yes, I dropped out twice to work full-time instead. I went back and continued to work full-time and instead took the plunge to also go to school full-time. I needed a full-time job for the benefits, because I was not going to have my parents pay for my healthcare or my education, though they still wish they could have helped me (they can't).

Here's an example of the tuition at my university: For just classes when I enrolled in 2006, it was around $3600.
    For just classes when I paid my final semester bill... $6100.
    Though it was quite a shock at first, I do know there are a lot of people who pay... about triple... quadruple... and on and on of that. I just chose a "cheaper" university that is now getting a law and medical school. (My guess is that the tuition will really go up in the next few years).

My taxes last year were hilarious when I saw how much I made as opposed to how much I spend on education.
    My income was around $26500... what I paid for school: $14500.

However, I will be paying back my loans, whether I find a new job or not. I got my job back in high school and worked my way up to the point where I could still go to school and still work without too much of an issue.

Initially I would have been paying back around $820 a month. I called all of my loan companies and talked to them and explained my salary and what I expected to make. We made deals, I plan on paying double if I do end up with a nice job. I talked down the total to $650. I can do that.

My only issue with some of the loan companies is the lack of customer service when you call to ask questions (NJClass) and the interest rates. However, I want to pay them back just to say I did. I think there need to be programs for those that have a hard time paying theirs back. I don't think they should totally forgive them. Forbearance, public service jobs, deferrance, and just CALL THEM and say I need to make a payment plan so I can ensure I can pay you on time and we don't have a problem. 3/4 of the loan companies that I am borrowing from have done this for me. Just communicate, do research, don't just throw it away. I think I'll feel like gold when I finally pay them off.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Currently, while student loans are not forgiven, federal tax payers are, by an large, not paying directly for anybody's education, But, if you went to ANY state or public college or university, both state tax $$ and federal tax $$ subsidized the actual cost of your education, so tax payers are definitely paying a portion of a LOT of people's education. If student loans are "forgiven", then taxpayers, at least in the form of increased liability from government borrowing, will indeed be paying for the education of those that no longer have to pay their loans. There are also, some types of education that are funded in a very large part by federal programs indirectly, making the out of pocket cost for the student much lower than it would otherwise have been.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Here in australia if you decide to go to TAFE (same as uni) you can't take loans out. You have to pay outright before starting your course.

You guys in america complain about so much. At least you have the loans, at least you have free doctors, at least your gas is less than $1.60 per LITRE.

haha free doctors...
  • wolfi622
    Options
    This "parent" takes exception to the "our parents generation" comment! The economy ebbs and flows, always has, always will. I know the issue isn't all that simple but when it bounces back, your generation will think you fixed it, and when it suffers again your kids will be blaming your generation!

Werd!
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This topic thread is absolutely ridiculous with some of the comments. I graduated from my 4 year college 2 years ago. When I graduated, I was already $52,000 in debt, and that wasn't even the entire cost of my education. I worked all through high school and college and tried to save as much as I could. I am 100% in favor of student loans, because I bet without them, more than half of people today would not be able to afford higher education. I am working full time now, and paying back my loans just fine. Though it will take me many years to pay them off, I am doing just fine and looking forward to the day when I can say that my college education is completely paid for. I don't agree with Student Loan Forgiveness. There are already so many things in society that are free and it is ruining our country. People are learning that they can get by in life without taking responsibility for their lives and thinking that they will always be taken care of. They need to realize that they need to actually work for the things that they want.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Seems to me from the point of view of an economic stimulus this is a no go. It's not going to create jobs, it's not going to funnel more money into the economy, etc.

The real way to stimulate the economy is give corporations and people earning over $100,000 a tax exempt status.
  • lripson28
    Options
    It was the students who borrowed money, it should be the students who pay it back. it isn't my fault that someone took more loan than they could afford. I have loans and I'm paying them just fine.

Yes, it was the students who borrowed the money and they should pay it back. BUT, in school, you're always told that once you get that piece of paper, your life will be better off and you will make more money, enough to pay off those loans. Once you actually get into the real world, you realize that it's not as easy as your professors always said it would be with having your education.
  • wolfi622
    Options

"Free Doctors?" Where are you getting your information?
  • lripson28
    Options

"Free Doctors?" Where are you getting your information?

I was wondering that same thing! Oh wait..there's free doctors for those people who go but then never pay their bills and end up oweing their doctors massive amounts of money............
  • Arwhite1865
    Arwhite1865 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

That's a generalization about more than 300 million people and not a very fair one! Everything is relative. 1). Higher education in Australia is far cheaper than higher education in America. The cost of American higher education is the second highest in the world, and that's public education I'm talking about. Private higher education is even more expensive. 2) Free doctors? That's news to me...tens of millions of Americans don't even have health insurance. Maybe you're thinking of the UK? But it's not "free" even there because it's payed for in taxes, 3). Americans are used to paying a certain amount for gas per month/year and our budgets are adjusted accordingly. What may be cheap to you may not be cheap to us, and vice versa. It's also worth noting that America is a much larger country than Australia and Americans do A LOT of driving.

Uhh so do Australians??
    I travel 50km's/31 miles to get to school and back.
    We were paying only $1 per litre up til january of last year it's gone up to $1.60 since. And yes our budgets were adjusted accordingly, even considering I only earn $300 per week/full time.
    And yeah I have health insurance but it's not free you have to pay for it.
    Whether or not it's paid for in taxes even with insurance we have to pay anywhere from $60-$200.

****I'm not talking about everyone, just something which has come to attention with some of MFP's people.****

I never claimed that Australians don't drive a lot. My point was that as America is a very large country - larger than Australia - we drive further distances to get places than do people in smaller countries, hence the reason that gas prices are such a big issue here. You may consider our gas prices a bargain, but we do not because we consume so much of it. Anytime it rises, people will complain. Healthcare in America is not free, and if your employer doesn't provide insurance, you can't afford it out-of-pocket, or you don't have a parent/guardian whose insurance covers you, you don't have health insurance at all. But again, even if you do have it, it's not free. That's why I was wondering if you were thinking of the UK or somewhere else...
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Like others have said - I'm okay with paying mine. I chose to go to college for the 7ish years i went. I just hate the interest! Sallie Mae is the worst ever. I think I'll be paying on mine for ever at this rate.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So if student debt get's forgiven I get reimbursed for all of the classes I paid for out of my own pocket, right?
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So if student debt get's forgiven I get reimbursed for all of the classes I paid for out of my own pocket, right?

or do they cut a check to my parents who have managed to send 3 kids to college with out taking out any loans?
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For real? Pay your own obligations!

One reason the debt is high is entitlements. Get a job. Live within your means and stop expecting everyone else to pay your way!

IMHO, only those with outstanding debt they want someone else to pay for them would sign.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Really? My husband put himself through school without taking any student loans and no help from his parents. Took him a lot longer, sure, but he graduated with no debt.

This may sound harsh, but you chose the school and its tuition, you chose the amount of debt to accumulate, you chose your career field...it's time to pay up.
  • lripson28
    Options
    Really? My husband put himself through school without taking any student loans and no help from his parents. Took him a lot longer, sure, but he graduated with no debt.

This may sound harsh, but you chose the school and its tuition, you chose the amount of debt to accumulate, you chose your career field...it's time to pay up.

Choosing a career should be about doing something you enjoy, not doing something that will make you more than enough money to pay your loans.