Who lost 100+ pounds WITHOUT surgery ?

Options
Hello...I am new to MFP and am finding alot of topics for support to people who have had bypass surgery. But, I am losing weight the old fashioned way...hard work, watching what I eat and exercising. I understand this will be a loooong process, hence why it is a life change NOT a diet. Would love to meet people who are/have done the same thing. I'm about a week and a half in and have lost 5 pounds so far. It's very hard for me to loose weight, I just look at a piece of candy and gain 10 pounds :-)

Replies

• smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Keep thinking positive and working hard because that is what it takes. Mix in a little determination as well. It gets easier with time. You have only been in for 1.5 weeks and already lost 5 lbs. That is awesome. I have been in since Feb and have lost 25. I have lost 67 so far. I still have a long ways to go. But MFP has helped a lot and you will find support here. Good luck you can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am doing it without surgery :)

Feel free to add :)
  • kimbrka
    kimbrka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    that's super inspirational! I gave up for a while and just got a coach....your story really motivates me..congratulations on your weight loss you must feel fantastic! - Karen
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight for 10 years with varying amounts of success with varying programs. This is my last try before I consider surgery. So far I am doing pretty good. I am trying to make this a true lifestyle change and not just a diet. I have my daily calorie goal set higher than a lot of other people it seems. My reasoning is that slower, more consistent weight loss may actually lead to more permanent results. Also, I do not deprive myself. If I want a candy bar, I eat that candy bar and adjust my other intake accordingly.

I usually try to portion my calories so that I am eating every 2-3 hours. I eat a breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner, and another snack. It keeps me from over eating at meals and helps me get in fruits and veggies. My current favorite snack is a bowl of fresh strawberries with a packet of splenda. I also snack on carrots and cucumbers, two of my favorite veggies. They are low calories and very filling. I hope I can keep it up and actually manage to lose 100 pounds without resorting to drastic measures. I really do not want to.
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i have successfully lost 100+ lbs and kept it off since 2004 without surgery. i started off doing WW then started counting calories for the last 10-15 lbs. i am now trying to take off the last 14 lbs i gained back when i started back to school. keep your chin up you can do this.
  • apprelaw
    apprelaw Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to be say "I lost 100 pounds without surgery". Its a long process but being on this site proves to me that if we continue down the right path, no matter how long it takes - we will get there! :)
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    :-) me
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I've lost over a 100 without surgery, never even considered surgery - and I have a little more to go.

Hard work, time, eating right, logging it all and staying dedicated are what it takes. It works!

Keep dedicated, even though you'll have your down days (or weeks), but keep coming back and getting support and you WILL reach that goal. It's a wonderful feeling when you've made it and you know it was all your hard work that got you to your goal. :flowerforyou:
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I did without surgery eating right exersize and a lot of hard work. you are welcome to add me
  • StephGodsPrincess
    StephGodsPrincess Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have to lose at least 180 pounds and am going to do it the old fashioned way. Feelk free to add me I just joined today and would love to be a support to one another:smile:
  • 100over
    100over Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've gained and lost 100 lbs twice in my life......this will be the third.....all without surgery. I know it doesn't say much that I gained it back twice but I am a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry emotional eater, something I work on every day of my life in one way or another. I guess every extremely overweight person is an emotional eater otherwise why would we choose to put that food in our mouth?? I feel like this is my last and final hurrah...if I don't do it and keep it off this time I'm not going to be around a whole lot longer. I have Type 1 diabetes and wear an insulin pump and I was just diagnosed with LPR....a severe form of reflux that has burnt my throat and voicebox. I do not want to be a mom that my son is embarrassed of...his friends have already told him that his mom and dad are fat and it made me die inside. I am determined to be a healthy strong example for him.........one day.
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    These were awesome to read!! Very inspiring. I think the key is that we can't be lazy. It will mean preparing meals and snacks instead of zipping through a drive-thru. Parking in the back of the parking lot instead of driving around and around looking for a close spot to the door. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator (within reason) ;-) WE CAN DO IT!
  • His4Life67
    Options
    I also have lost over 100 lbs actually 170 lbs. without bypass surgery I did have hip replacement surgery from a car accident that happend many years ago and now Im able to move so with good healthy choices in diet and exercise I have lost a whole other person but now lacking motivation for the last 50 lbs my ultimate goal is to be back to what I was in school 136 I was by no means skinny never have been but feel my healthiest at that weight. Because Im over 40 now Im not sure if that is realistic on my own and due to my dissablities its been very hard to workout regularly I also have a chronic back condition and Im in a tremendous amount of pain already. I did have a workout program at my church helping others on what I have learned about nutrition watching tv etc. my main motivation was biggest loser so named it biggest winners but everyone bailed on me with gas prices etc so by myself again and NEED MOTIVATION I have all the tools and equiptment to do it just lacking a partner to help encourage eachother etc. this is my first experience online so any tips or advice is welcome thanx n God bless.
  • 00Riga00
    00Riga00 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm on my journey to do it!! =] 20lbs down already!
  • choose2bfree
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight all my life. I've tried all kinds of diets. But... I am not willing to alter my body with WL surgery. I am using a medically monitored program. The same Drs. help people through surgery or the old fashioned way. I never knew there was something like this out there. I feel really jazzed for this new start and I am very motivated by seeing your success.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    all of you guys can add me would love to support all of you through this process
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    These were awesome to read!! Very inspiring. I think the key is that we can't be lazy. It will mean preparing meals and snacks instead of zipping through a drive-thru. Parking in the back of the parking lot instead of driving around and around looking for a close spot to the door. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator (within reason) ;-) WE CAN DO IT!
    my kids wont go to the grocery store with me anymore because i park all the way out close to the road....and i always take the stairs at school it is amazing that i am in better shape than most of the 18-23 yr old college students who grumble and gripe because the elevators aren't working :)
  • texasheathers
    texasheathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 100+ pounds! I too had been considering weight-loss surgery - but I decided to really give it my best shot and give myself another chance.
  • spaz4me2
    spaz4me2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Working on my 100 pound mini goal...all lost by me, myself and I.