Calorie intake question (prob asked 1 million times)

Options
124»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Again regardless of if you're sedentary or not, multiplying your bw x 10-12 will in the majority of cases put you in a deficit, and in some cases will put you below your BMR. So taking off an additional 15% of that is doing exactly what you said you wish to avoid and be in a deficit greater then 20%
    I kind of agree with you, I might be a special exception. Even if the calculations are incorrect, the adjustment will correct that, up or down by 10% based on results.

As i told i weigh about 297, multiplied by 10 = 2970 (10 for sedentary) this is my bodybugg results. for the past week. I been sick so earlier this week i didn't workout, the higher numbers up to 4k sometimes, on workout days.
    vn2tmg.jpg

You're putting a little too much faith in your bodybugg, I think the stated MOE is 10-15%, it may be slightly higher. A better way would prob recommend 10-12 cals as a starting point for weight loss and then adjust as needed, don't add in a 15% deficit on top of it

I think the MOE is 10%, but is it high or low? I don't know. You're right for the most part, I was calculating my maintenance without exercise, which is about 3,000 kcal. With exercise it's about 3,500 kcal. I am currently eating about 2,700 or so. I think i went with this number because it's above my BMR, and it's the maintenance calories of my goal weight 235lbs. I guess i got confused between the 2, and been saying multiply by 10-12 then take off the 15% deficit. I got to fix this.

See, I don't just bust your chops for no reason, I usually am making an informed rebuttal
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I sure would like an easier calculation than what I have to do on fat2fit but its the only thing so far I've found so far that I can rely on. I'm always looking though.
  • BrionyTallis
    Options
    In fact my calculations put me at a deficit of 24% using PU_239s method.

how do you know what your maintenance calories is, if none of these are 100% correct?

To which calculations do you refer? I am only referring to the first calculation you posted. If I have offend you in some way and you would like me to use the others Method 1, Method 2, or Method 3 I would be happy to do so and post the results.

No you didn't offend me. To calculate a deficit you need a starting point. Your maintenance calories. Lets say you calculated 2,000 calories maintenance based on a calculator, what if it's inaccurate since none of these are 100%, what if it's really 2,500, r 1,500, what would your deficit be? You said you calculated 24% deficit with my method. What if with my method your deficit is 50%, or 5%? how do you know? It's just an estimation either way.

Well that is where you and I agree it is only a starting point no matter whose tool you use. And if you look at my first post in this forum you will see that I stated this very point. These are just tools to help one figure out where to start and then continue to make adjustments to their calorie intake to achieve their weight loss goals. Each person has to use these tools to find out what works for them with experimentation and I am completely with you on this.

At the same time Acg posts seemed to indicate that there was something wrong with the math. I didn't know what exactly was wrong but I did want to support what he was saying because I had already done that calculation before he brought up in the forum. I didn't think anything of it because it didn't mean anything to me but it meant something to him so I mentioned it. That was the whole basis of my making the statement.

Furthermore, I respect the efforts you are making to come up with an easier calculation than others out there. Now if you just get it fixed we could have a winner. Or did I misunderstand something?
  • Arhoades76
    Arhoades76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any meal replacement shakes that have multi-vitamins? They are filloing, and help cut down a large chunk of calories for at least one of your meals for the day?
  • BrionyTallis
    Options

how do you know what your maintenance calories is, if none of these are 100% correct?

To which calculations do you refer? I am only referring to the first calculation you posted. If I have offend you in some way and you would like me to use the others Method 1, Method 2, or Method 3 I would be happy to do so and post the results.

No you didn't offend me. To calculate a deficit you need a starting point. Your maintenance calories. Lets say you calculated 2,000 calories maintenance based on a calculator, what if it's inaccurate since none of these are 100%, what if it's really 2,500, r 1,500, what would your deficit be? You said you calculated 24% deficit with my method. What if with my method your deficit is 50%, or 5%? how do you know? It's just an estimation either way.

Well that is where you and I agree it is only a starting point no matter whose tool you use. And if you look at my first post in this forum you will see that I stated this very point. These are just tools to help one figure out where to start and then continue to make adjustments to their calorie intake to achieve their weight loss goals. Each person has to use these tools to find out what works for them with experimentation and I am completely with you on this.

At the same time Acg posts seemed to indicate that there was something wrong with the math. I didn't know what exactly was wrong but I did want to support what he was saying because I had already done that calculation before he brought up in the forum. I didn't think anything of it because it didn't mean anything to me but it meant something to him so I mentioned it. That was the whole basis of my making the statement.

Furthermore, I respect the efforts you are making to come up with an easier calculation than others out there. Now if you just get it fixed we could have a winner. Or did I misunderstand something?

Well for me, it's weight * 10,

10-15 based on activity level is good.

That's great!
  • BrionyTallis
    Options

Well for me, it's weight * 10,

10-15 based on activity level is good.

That's great!

Yes, the original problem Acg pointed out. I'll use myself for an example. My maintenance calories is 3,500. What I was doing and recommending is multiply your weight by 10-15 then take away 15%. I weigh about 297, so this would be

2970 calories to consume - 15% = 2500 calories to consume

That is what i was doing and recommending.

But if you take off 15% from maintenance = 2975 calories(what i should eat for weight loss)..

There is already a deficit built in to the multiplication factors 10-15, i was STILL taking off 15% on top of the deficit already. Which is wrong.

The issue is I just got confused for some reason, I thought multiplying your weigt by 10-15 is your maintenance calories, it's not. It's how much you should eat to lose weight, and i added another deficit on top of that which is wrong.

So if I understand correctly then since I am sedentary I use the multiplication factor of 10 multiplied by my weight and I have my calorie intake, then adjust accordingly in 2-3 weeks based on my weight loss experience.
  • BrionyTallis
    Options
    Thank you PU_239
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of replies on here Lol, so for me then its recommended by PU that I eat 2000 calories a day!! I will try my best to eat
    this many, not sure if i can lol.