inner thighs?

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with all, except that you can "tone" using specific exercises. Of course it does not involve merely "a few leg exercises" but an understanding of the anatomy and how muscles group work together, then pursue the regime on a consistent basis.

Perhaps "tone" is a generic and often misundertood term.It's better to call that t muscle building.
    You don't build muscle on calorie deficit unless you're one of exceptions (very overweight/obese, returning athlete after long layoff, total newbie to weight lifting) and even they only put on minimal muscle. To build muscle means to add tissue. To add tissue you add weight. To add weight you need surplus.
    You can "harden" muscle, but light weight lifting won't do it. Muscle needs to be challenged and that usually will take weight resistance at about 85% of 1RM.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    You CANNOT spot reduce any area of the body with exercise.

You don't really build muscle on calorie deficit.

You don't "tone" muscle just by doing a few leg exercises.

Consider working out consistently, staying in consistent calorie deficit, and being patient. If your genetics allow it, your inner thighs will slim down to where you want. If not, then you do the best with what nature gave you.

IDEA Fitness member

I agree with all, except that you can "tone" using specific exercises. Of course it does not involve merely "a few leg exercises" but an understanding of the anatomy and how muscles group work together, then pursue the regime on a consistent basis.

Perhaps "tone" is a generic and often misundertood term.It's better to call that t muscle building.
    I guess on this site it's best to say build muscle.. Lol... well that's what I mean.. To me toning = building muscle.. im sure im not the only one who uses the word tone. Lol.. Smh ..
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    You CANNOT spot reduce any area of the body with exercise.

You don't really build muscle on calorie deficit.

You don't "tone" muscle just by doing a few leg exercises.

Consider working out consistently, staying in consistent calorie deficit, and being patient. If your genetics allow it, your inner thighs will slim down to where you want. If not, then you do the best with what nature gave you.

IDEA Fitness member

THANK YOU :) I will research more on this topic. Its easy to assume that one can tone targeted areas when that is what you see on TV-- commercials to buy products to tone specific areas etc.. heck-- Ive even been to a personal trainer who had me do various exercises to target certain areas of my body.. Trust me i get the point of proper exercise.. i don't think I would have loss 42lbs without it. I work out several days a week. I have just recently started to work on strength training more than cardio because I was advised to do so by a few fitness buffs I know who have successfully toned their bodies. After losing a lot of weight your skin can sag if you do not do toning exercises-- this is from my own experience. My thighs do rub together and I don't like it. In fact the more i lose weight the more sore they become because my skin has begun to sag.

I have seen a big difference myself in doing squats. Today I implemented resistant bands as well to see if that also helps to build more muscle. While I respect everyone's answer on here I don't agree completely. I am not saying don't work out at all -- just do certain exercises to tone certain parts -- I actually don't even think the original poster was implying that.

Question for you -- as a fitness trainer can you please explain to me why there are different exercises to work different parts of the body if targeting one area is not possible? Id really like to learn about this. As a Business Anaylst-- I analyze everything and some things have to make sense to me.. and this right here doesn't.. I appreciate your response in advance. I am also gonna send you a private message just in case you dont see this ;)
    You can target a "muscle" to build it, condition it, build endurance, strengthen it, but you can't target a specific area and use exercise to spot reduce the area. To build muscle you need a surplus of calories because to build a muscle, you are actually adding tissue which means you will be adding weight and to add weight you need surplus.

IDEA Fitness member
    im aware of bmr n tdee ..im aware about my own personal dietary needs to BUILD muscle..thanks for responding
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    im aware of bmr n tdee ..im aware about my own personal dietary needs to BUILD muscle..thanks for responding
    What I think may be the problem is how "building" muscle is defined by many on the site. To "build" muscle you need calorie surplus. Building muscle is a long process that takes a year or more if you're trying to add it. Along with muscle you add fat (it's inevitable).
    To "tone up" muscle you need to challenge it and light weight lifting doesn't do it, that's why results end up being better with heavier resistance (even for those who don't want the "muscular" look).

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh, the thigh gap fascination. I still do not get this desire for a gap between thighs. What is the purpose? Is there some serious medical issue people are worried about when it comes to thighs touching that I'm just missing?

I kinda like my thighs touching. Keeps my hands warm all winter long.

Totally with you on this...I actually do not want a gap (just as well as I would never have one - just not built that way).
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    and its about toning exercise as well --- i dont agree with yr post.. not at all..

And I don't agree with yours.

How does one "tone" an area? They lose the fat around it revealing the muscle. This is done through losing weight = calorie deficit.

Truth: You cannot spot reduce. This is true in that you cannot spot reduce body fat... Body fat comes off wherever it wants to.
    However, you CAN tone muscles through various isolation exercises. When the muscle is toned... the area does get smaller (though the overlay of fat is still there)... This is sort of the "Abs are made in the kitchen" argument (same holds true with other muscles).. You tone what is underneath and when the overlay of fat disappears, you have something to show off.

Now, back to the original question... The one exercise that I am aware of is the hip abductor @ the local gym... And the Adductor will work the outter hips. The abductor can be a painful one for the guys though....perhaps this is why I usually seem more women on the machine.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    lunges , squats leg presses .. and #1 diet..
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    and its about toning exercise as well --- i dont agree with yr post.. not at all..

And I don't agree with yours.

How does one "tone" an area? They lose the fat around it revealing the muscle. This is done through losing weight = calorie deficit.

Truth: You cannot spot reduce. This is true in that you cannot spot reduce body fat... Body fat comes off wherever it wants to.
    However, you CAN tone muscles through various isolation exercises. When the muscle is toned... the area does get smaller (though the overlay of fat is still there)... This is sort of the "Abs are made in the kitchen" argument (same holds true with other muscles).. You tone what is underneath and when the overlay of fat disappears, you have something to show off.

Now, back to the original question... The one exercise that I am aware of is the hip abductor @ the local gym... And the Adductor will work the outter hips. The abductor can be a painful one for the guys though....perhaps this is why I usually seem more women on the machine.

So you're saying that when you work a specific muscle, it gets SMALLER? Think about it for a second.

There is no such thing as toning. If you work a specific muscle, it will likely get bigger, not smaller. The only way that area of the body gets smaller is if you lose muscle and/or fat from that specific spot. That is all.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    cattle bells do have the advantage of alerting others to your presence. but i do find the suggestive looks you draw from random bulls can get a bit much.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options

So you're saying that when you work a specific muscle, it gets SMALLER? Think about it for a second.

There is no such thing as toning. If you work a specific muscle, it will likely get bigger, not smaller. The only way that area of the body gets smaller is if you lose muscle and/or fat from that specific spot. That is all.

Great point. Which brings me back to my original assertion which is - if you don't want your thighs to touch, it's all about diet. The OP never said anything about looking strong or toned..... just didn't want them to touch.