Falling off the wagon on weekends?

Options
Does anyone else find themselves essentially "starting over" come Monday morning? Between drinks and that late night pizza, I find myself just letting go on Saturdays after an awesome and healthy week...which only leads to depression come Monday am! Any one else do this? I'd love some tips on how to stay motivated on the weekends. Any tips on how to stay focused would be awesome!!

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing (hence the reason I'm on MFP first thing this morning!) Since I'm at goal, I've laxed up a little bit and have just come to accept that my weekend will be less than stellar and have tried to make better choices within the wider range. I also step up my exercise more (2 hrs at the gym vs the usual 1 hr) to help compensate. If it's going to happen, I feel it's better to embrace it and not beat yourself up. Just don't get the "all-or- nothing" mentality to where if you have a couple Oreos, you consume an entire package since you "already screwed up"! :)
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    I always have a "cheat day" at the weekends. it used to be two cheat days. I found logging everything - even the really bad stuff helps. it makes you more aware of just how bad you're being.

Logging is key. I'm getting better - Instead of a whole day - I might have a bad meal....hope that helps.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I always have a "cheat day" at the weekends. it used to be two cheat days. I found logging everything - even the really bad stuff helps. it makes you more aware of just how bad you're being.

Logging is key. I'm getting better - Instead of a whole day - I might have a bad meal....hope that helps.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
    We are all tempted at weekends and we all deserve a day off now and then but I must admit if I have been really bad I log every mouthfull into the database, it shows you how far you have gone and makes you not be in a hurry to get there again.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    definitely not the only one... i dont even want to get into what i ate this weekend. i will let you in on a little secret however, brisket nachos are TO DIE FOR....

and that was only a SNACK. shame...
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    Options
    i am always over on a saturday but i allow for this and plan over the rest of the week i.e. saving a few cals during the week, i have a takeaway every saturday, its working for me so far!! :)
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is Friday, no working out and eating whatever (but with a little more portion control than I used to have). I do end up working out double time on the weekend just because I have more time to do so. I've decided not to beat myself up because i'm not perfect, if I keep dwelling on the 'bad' days I'm afraid I'll give up entirely and I refuse to do that. Good luck!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I do usually eat more on weekends but I do log it, do try to stay cognizant of what I"m doing, and make sure I also exercise a lot more on weekends. I save my long runs/walks for the weekend plus some biking as it will also give me some extra calories for that dinner and a movie or special treat of frozen yogurt. Live life but stay aware. ;)
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Weekends are my weakest times. Between going out to eat with family or celebrating one thing or another. It's frustrating to say the least. I guess the important thing is to remember that on Monday you will get right back at it.
  • InTheNameofCosplay
    Options
    Uh. I did this BADLY this weekend. I really need to learn how to let my healthy habits roll over into my decisions at parties and such. I REALLY goofed between Saturday and Sunday. Ugh.
  • SAMSON25
    SAMSON25 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this also. What's helped me is to construct my weekends the same as my weekdays..i.e. eating times, snacks, etc. Also, stay busy! It keeps your mind off of it and avoid mindless eating
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yup that is me... but without the regret... hells the way I see it is eating healthy 5 out of the 7 days of the week is really good for how it used to be... I have pretty good self control during the week - but with chips, ice cream and other yummies at the house it is sorta kinda but not really hard - I make the decision to enjoy and know that each day is a new chance....
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm guilty of the same weekend screw ups.. I just try to make sure I exercise a bit more and if I have a drink or two, its the low cal kind. My husband and I went out for lunch on Saturday, I ordered a garden salad since I worked hard at the gym earlier that morning, he ordered crab dip appetizer along with his lunch meal. Soooo tempting, and he kept offering some to me. I could have devoured the whole bowl of it, but instead, just to satify my craving, I limited myself to 3 bitefuls. Then I asked him to pass it on to the other side of us, out of my reach!
  • shaX07
    shaX07 Posts: 28
    Options
    i am always over on a saturday but i allow for this and plan over the rest of the week i.e. saving a few cals during the week, i have a takeaway every saturday, its working for me so far!! :)

I'm pretty much in the same boat. It's pretty much a given that we will all have weekends where we just go a little overboard, or simply eat some stuff we wouldn't necessarily eat while on a weight loss regiment. I also try to compensate for this during the week. Whether it be some extra exercise, or a little more caloric restriction for a few of the weekdays, can certainly make up for a poor weekend day.

I've actually found it helpful to throw in some intermittent fasting to help counter-act the poor weekend choices. Though fasting isn't recommended for everyone, I find that if I fast 1 day in a given week, it makes it very easy to maintain a caloric goal that encompasses a 2 pound per week loss even while eating pretty much anything that comes my way in the weekends, so long as I meet my caloric goal on those other 4 weekdays.
  • beckers80
    beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Keep logging and if you see your calorie total start to get scary, get out and do something. Walk, jog, do some yardwork, anything to get in some exercise. I tend to drink too much on the weekends and I love pizza. I've opted for thin crust frozen pizza instead of Papa Johns and I drink only light beer now. I actually stay very close to my suggested caloric intake on the weekends. Most of the time, even a little below. Hope this helps! :drinker:
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    UGH... I JUST got finished writing a status about this very thing... I work so hard during the week only to undo much of it on the weekend. Thank God I kept up with my workouts... I haven't weighed myself this morning, but I'm hoping it's not so bad this week.
  • cheetahmama2
    cheetahmama2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is awesome advise! I find myself doing the same thing, but I'm starting to ad a little exercise on the weekends to help out.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Not really. Sometimes Ill eat about 1300 calories but thats because I'm spending time with my boyfriend and am not picky about what I eat. Recovering from an ED, so a "normal" day is 750 cals for me. I dont get depressed when I go over anymore, though. Progress!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing for months which is why I am no longer at my goal weight and have to re-lose some weight. It's hard but you just have to do it. Luckily this week I managed to and was able to record a loss for the first time in months. That is what will help me to stay focused! I hope!
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yep...I have the same problem. I eat super healthy all week and then lose it come Friday or Sat. My dh works all week and is off on the weekends. I think HE is the problem...lol...I don't get depressed I just start over, but I would sure like to quit sabotaging myself.