Falling off the wagon on weekends?

Options

Replies

• lolly3max
    lolly3max Posts: 28
    Options
    i have lost just over three stone and this is the longest I have kept it off and the only time I don't feel deprived while losing weight and I really feel its all down to allowing myself to days like this and not being so hard on myself for it... Have to have a life too:)
  • JessV_83
    JessV_83 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! It's so easy to follow healthy eating and exercise habits during weekdays - weekends, not so much.

Thanks for posting this, there's some great advice given.

I weigh on a Sunday morning, and then Sunday is my cheat day. One would think this would keep me motivated to be really good on a Saturday still - but just can't resist takeaways or wine on a Friday or Saturday! I guess moderation and portion sizes is key here...

Good luck to us all!!
  • Bride2B1103
    Bride2B1103 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! All of these tips have been really helpful. I am an organization nut so I think planning ahead and getting in that extra workout or 2 will definitely help. Hopefully next Monday I can come into work with just the "Monday blues" and not the "dieting blues!" as well!
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Same thing here! Do very good all week, but Sam Adams Summer Ale does me in come the week end :-). Great thread though, helpful to read what others do to combat the week end!
  • iwannalosealot
    Options
    I'm the same way weekends are tough but I figure if I can do good during the week I'm not going to worry about the week ends anymore
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You just need to be more careful on the week end. Say, I'm going to have this....so now I need to do more exercise to eat that. Make it a trade off. Sometimes when you look at the calories and realize how long you'd have to workout to get rid of it. That's a motivator to try a little harder.

I sometimes overdo on the week end but not like I used to. I hated having to work all week to take the weight off from the week end. Find a balance and work and make a plan you can live with. Then you'll be able to get a better control on the week end eating. Wishing you the best of luck.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I am trying to learn how to eat so that I can maintain it through weekends without feeling like I'm not getting a treat. I'm doing Monday weigh-ins so I hold myself accountable, but it is definitely a struggle!
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one!! Since I am a lot happier with my body I have found it a lot harder to stay motivated on the weekends. It is the food. I love the gym, so I still go, I just get lazy with cooking and end up going out to eat or snacking a lot more than I should. I hate that I do this, so maybe one day I will stop haha. My husband still logs everything he eats, even if we go out and he is 2,000 calories over. He is better than I am.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible weekend. We are always lax on Saturdays, that is our day. This weekend, I went into hyper-mode or something and ate like there would be no Monday. I log it all though, so I can see what I have done and it makes me want to fix it and try harder. It is tough - if it wasn't, none of us would need to be here, right? Just jump back on and shake it off.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that was definitley me. But I finally decided that I just didn't want to be good on the weekends. So, now I try to eat a little less Mon - Fri so that I don't go over for the week. Now, no more Monday guilt because I know I had the extra calories for my weekend fun.
  • riascott
    riascott Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is such a helpful post for me. I have basically been the same weight now for about a year because of this problem.

I am at a good weight but its slowly creeping back up and I really want to just drop half a stone to a stone to fit back comfortably into my clothes. My problem is I have all the good intentions but then Ill have one cheat meal, then a cheat snack and I will then decide to have a cheat day seeing as Ive already ruined it! and then I end up eating so much that all of the weight Ive lost in the week and more goes back on. So come Monday morning I will be back to what I was the previous monday if not a little more.

Has anyone got any advice about how to get out of this Binge- Diet cycle I currently am trapped in?

I wish I was able to just have one cheat without just being out of control. I actually really do feel out on control at times!

Any advice would be so gratefully received..... :0)
  • Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    Wow I thought I was the only person that felt like this. Weekends are really bad for me because after cleaning and preparing for the week ahead, I have nothing esle to do so I just eat whatever. But I log it all and it really helps. I hope I can make my weekends just as good as my weekdays in the near future.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. It really has started to irritate me the last week or so. I am sooo good during the week, and then weekends, it flies out the window. I blame it on my husband. :-P haha, really, its not his fault, but he doesn't exactly support me how I think he should. He needs to drop weight too, but I have yet to convince him to take it seriously. which also irritates me. Anyways, I'm trying harder, I'm going to have to just get more willpower, and say no, and only have one meal or snack cheat. not a couple. :/
  • kiainap
    kiainap Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm probably the queen of falling off my "plan" on the weekends. I have to agree with the others when it comes to not beating yourself, plan for this during the week and amp up for your exercise. Over time you'll see it won't ruin your path to weight loss and leading an overall healthy life. I'm not saying this will always be the case, but I "cheated" a few Saturdays and still managed to lose a pound that same week. When you expect to fall off your "plan" you have control over it, therefore you won't gorge yourself with food and you will be reasonable with the type of snacks you consume and/or how much. Remember, you are not alone and I believe this is the best site ever for achieving weight and fitness goals. Everyone I've interacted with is friendly and supportive. Good luck and keep up the great work!
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Very relevant post: especially after my "wild" weekend which ended with a trip to the Cheesecake Factory. Yum! Back on the wagon this morning - that is the most important thing for me since I started with MFP - not letting one or two really bad days sabotage my efforts completely.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Arrrrggghhh!! The weekends! Same boat here! I do so well throughout the week and then it never seems to fail once Friday night rolls around. I have cut any alcoholic drinks down to one night but that is usually my worse night. I guess I figure screw it, I am messing up this bad I might as well enjoy it! Come Sunday evening I start to come back to reality (my 5:30 a.m. boot camp on Monday mornings forces me to) and have any and all food I am going to eat finished up by 7:30 or so and keep it as healthy as I can. But I also try my best to keep my food log here, good or bad, so I can see my entire week/month, etc.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat as healthy as possible, stay with in my calorie range Monday through Saturday. Then Sundays are my 'eat whatever I want day'. I relax and enjoy! Of course I'm human so I've been known to blow the entire weekend occasionally or mess up during the week. But for the most part I try to stay consistent with only Sunday as my 'fun food' day.
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, except I just enjoy it & come Monday I get right back on track. Its not realistic to deprive yourself from occasional splurges, especially weekend ones. I still havent figured out how to not get off track on weekends besides just asking myself "Do I really want that?" & limiting how many alcohol drinks I have. Also, drink lots of water. Helps keep you within limits. Good luck! Dont beat yourself up over it. Its a new day, make it a successful one :)
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do this just about every weekend, it seems. Just yesterday, I had double the amount of calories allotted. And this week is going to be a test since I have two happy hours scheduled during the week. My bf also wants to take me out to dinner tonight. The good part is that I still log everything so I know that I will need to exercise more during the week. This week, I will have to plan some gym time for the weekend.
  • pedhed
    pedhed Posts: 6
    Options
    Its a lot easier to eat the things we enjoy if we are at home and the kitchen is well stocked. I think a good idea is to keep yourself active at the weekend playing sport/going to the gym....even walking at least that way I can't my snacks