Women when its that time.....?

Options

Replies

• starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've actually seen this question asked, so thank you for asking! :)
    I'm anemic, and when I have my period, it can last for SEVERAL weeks. I'm currently on my period right now, and I have been for over a month. I have to exercise during it, or I will never get to. But there are some days during it that I absolutely can't do a thing. If you are able to exercise, DO IT. Everyone's body is different. Hope this helps, and good luck :)
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    On the first day, I don't exercise. I have a hard time getting out of bed (no energy, lots of pain, terrible attitude) let alone working out.

Edit: I just remembered (after reading the post below me) that in Jr. High they always let us sit out of we had our period.

We could only get out of swimming, then only with a note...THEN the teacher still told us we could swim if we used tampons, not me, my teenage periods were about 15 on a pain scale of 1-10 and issued many pints. All I could do was take pain killers and sleep..if someone had told me to work out back then I would have had some rude words to say.
    Nowdays is a different matter, since I have quite a physical job I have to work through it.
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I was wondering that...why would a guy want an answer to a menstrual question? lol
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    Options
    during my Monthly Shed, I loosen my corset and lie on a chaise lounge, fanning myself.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. I mean I wouldn't go swimming or anything lol but there's no reason not to

Why wouldn't you swim?
  • killingtheantagonist
    killingtheantagonist Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You should since it helps with cramps, but I sound like a hypocrite.
    I'm on mine and I feel like I'm going to bleed to death if I do any movement.
    Oh and not to mention these god awful cramps I have.
    But I think I'm gonna try to do something today since I'm not hurting all that much.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes. Take some midol and hit the gym. No reason not to work out unless for some reason you have extreme cramps and just can't do it. But if you do have a rest day in your workout plan you could always use a rest day if you feel you need it. I only do that if its really bad but then I make up for it later in the week.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    yep, even if I don't feel like it. after I feel better, have more energy and it gets rid of the cramps. Also for me stops bloating.
  • Runs4CupCakes
    Options
    That's the best time to work out.

i agree with you there makes me feel better....
    it sucks at 1st to get up and motavted but once you do you will feel better
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's been said to 'gently exercise' (even an Always ad in the UK says gentle exercise only!) But I've always found that I feel better for exercising even if it's not as hard as I normally work out. Go for it!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them! Many people actually experience relief from cramps when they work out. There is no physical reason not to work out when you have your period unless you are advised to by your doctor because of anemia or something else!!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Yep, I still workout....that's what advil, tylenol and midol is for. It makes me feel better.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    WORK OUT! You'll find you feel much better!
  • JVonni
    JVonni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Like others have said already, I feel it helps with the cramps. I do feel, however, that my workouts are less intense. For this reason I try to make sure that I am drinking a lot of water and getting a good amount of protein.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    There should be a sticky for this.

Yes, I do. Why on Earth wouldn't you? I know it sucks, but surely you've been dealing with this sort of thing for a while and have a constant supply of ibuprofen/chocolate/chickflicks to help you through the week. You work out, you still gain water weight, you still cry about that and during commercials because advair will probably kill everyone who uses it and then you get over it.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba and gym last week while Aunt flo was in town. Uncomfortable yes, but hey ho I'm not going to not exercise just because. Tbh since being on the pill my periods aren't that heavy so I can. If they were like they used to be then no way in hell would I be working out so it depends on you, and how comfortable you feel! xxx
  • gettingfit1961
    Options
    Running actually really helps my cramps. I have found that nothing else but running helps, so I think I work out more. :) I have never heard that you shouldn't. I guess I have never asked though?

It's an old wives tale that you shouldn't work out. But amazingly my entire gym class was OTR the weeks that we had swimming in high school.

HAHA! Love it. :bigsmile:
  • TMcSter
    TMcSter Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is the 1st time I have seen a post like this so I am happy it was re-posted for the millionth time. :laugh:

I just finished but next month I am going to work out as hard as I can no matter what because I have insane crazy cramps and an appetite for all things junk at the same time. Hopefully the working out will help in both arenas.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is another topic that keeps coming up. Sadly..Yes you can, and it is recommended to reduce cramps and bloating.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I still workout during that time and I usually feel better after exercising. I workout 6 days/wk usually at high intensity with 1 or 2 moderate intensity days, but during that time, I may take down the intensity a little depending on my energy level. Also, I sometimes take 2 days of rest during that time instead of the 1 day of rest per week that I usually take.