Couch to 5k

Options
Has anyone done this? What were your results?

Replies

• btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Finished it a week and a half ago. It was tough but SO rewarding at the end. Doing my first race in just under 2 weeks, and trust me...if I can run ANYONE can!!!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I did this last year, started in March and ran my first 5k in June at just over 34 minutes. Of course, right about that time we had a near record of consecutive days over 100 degrees and I got away from running. I just started it again about 2 weeks ago, this time with my 12 yr old daughter and our sitter. We're going a bit slower through the workouts this time around but we are progressing! It's a great program, I highly recommend it!
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I did this last year came in at 34 minutes. I threw myself into my own little plan speed walking and joggin combos. Basically the walking just decreased!

I do admit it was easier for me because back in the day I was a soccer player so I did know how to push myself. But since that was several years ago by no means was i in any kind of shape!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I started the program in Feb and am currently in the last week...but I've already done 2 races and now can also run for the entirety of a 5k. It takes me SO long (about 50 minutes), but I AM running for the whole thing! I'm REALLY excited about it! I think it's a great program...I've always been the one who was N-O-T a runner, and I'm now running for 50ish minutes straight! Racing gets super addictive too..I LOVE it!
  • dynamojones
    Options
    I'm a newbie in the program. I'm currently in week 4 day 1. It's really hard starting out but stick with it , I've seen great results. When I started the program I was off cigarettes just the month before and was about 295 pounds. I'm currently down to 275 just after 4 weeks on the programs. My advice is to take it slow and listen to your body.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tomorrow-eek!
    I'll let you know how I get on...if it doesn't kill me! :P
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i just finished week one with a struggle :( I have never been a runner but I want to be so bad. I will atempt week 2 next week but I might have to repeat week one before I am ready to move foward. I havnt had any soreness or anything and I kinda like it.

I WILL BE A RUNNER SOMEDAY!!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I was going to do this plan but my boyfriend was on my case about it, saying I should start out either running a mile or jogging for 20 min, whichever comes first. Supposedly the muscles you use for running/jogging are different than those used for walking, so even jogging almost as slowly as you walk is much better. This still seems like a good plan to me, but I'm going with his advice since I want to build up speed and not just endurance.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I started the program in Feb and am currently in the last week...but I've already done 2 races and now can also run for the entirety of a 5k. It takes me SO long (about 50 minutes), but I AM running for the whole thing! I'm REALLY excited about it! I think it's a great program...I've always been the one who was N-O-T a runner, and I'm now running for 50ish minutes straight! Racing gets super addictive too..I LOVE it!

That's super awesome!!! Congratulations!!!!!!! :-)
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 and running more than I ever thought was physically possible for myself!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I am doing week 8 this week. I have asthma and a heart problem and at the beginning of this year, even light workouts would trigger an asthma attack. This program is really great-it starts you out slowly and at the same time, your body adapts surprisingly quickly. I've been super happy with the progress i've made using it!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    starting week 2 now. it has been easier than I thought. I'm running a 5k in 2 months so it sounded good.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I started on the 1st of this month! Its amazing how the intervals really help. I never thought I'd be able to run 8 minutes straight (which is the one I am on so far) but I did!! Highly recommended from me :bigsmile:
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow! I practiced day one and I can at least do that much.
  • nancy5012
    nancy5012 Posts: 40
    Options
    I have never - ever - been a runner and I cautiously started C25K last October. Yikes - that first time to run for 30 seconds just about killed me.

But I was determined to keep at it, knowing I would repeat weeks many times.

Well - I am happy to report that a few weeks ago I was able to actually run for 3 miles straight through!! So -the 9 week program actually took me about 6 months - but I can run 3 miles!!!

I am not fast, and it is not pretty when I run, but by God, I was able to do it. I've noticed a definate loss of inches in my legs.

My advice - start at a very slow pace.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was going to do this plan but my boyfriend was on my case about it, saying I should start out either running a mile or jogging for 20 min, whichever comes first. Supposedly the muscles you use for running/jogging are different than those used for walking, so even jogging almost as slowly as you walk is much better. This still seems like a good plan to me, but I'm going with his advice since I want to build up speed and not just endurance.

If you can do that then definitely do - C25K is for people who can't jog for very long (I can only jog for about 5 minutes until I think I'm going to die). You should download the adidas micoach app on your phone, it helps to build endurance by doing interval type training, but with jogging faster and slower rather than jogging and walking. I downloaded this thinking it would be like C25K but I plan to use it once I finish C25K to build up speed
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would like to start, I have been talking this up with my kids, too. My oldest daughter says that she wants to join track or the cross country team, but she never takes the initiative to do it. Now my son is also talking about joining the track team. Neither of them are runners.

I admire some of the people that I know who are runners, and I feel motivated to start this for myself, and also to help get my kids involved so that they are ready when they finally DO commit to joining the track team.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Well - I am happy to report that a few weeks ago I was able to actually run for 3 miles straight through!! So -the 9 week program actually took me about 6 months - but I can run 3 miles!!!

it's taken me a lot longer than 9 weeks too. I have progressed really slowly, but I am very comfortable with it, especially considering that running is such a mental game. I never thought I would be able to run 10 minutes straight, and I am so excited to be at that point now!
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My first stab at it was back in 2010 and I made to week 6. I was able to complete my first 5k after late, my time was 39:53. I took about 5 months off after my second 5k which was in the same year, and I have to tell you, it was the worst decision I could have ever made. When I started the couch to 5k for the second time, the first few weeks were painful. People say the hardest thing to do is to start back running after taking a good amount of time off. So I've been running consisently and successfully since March 2011. I average about a 1130/12min mile. My best advice for you is to stick with it, even if you have to repeat some of the weeks over again, just keep going you will see your endurance and speed change. Good luck to you!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Awesome program! I went from non runner to running my first half marathon this weekend!

Some tips:
    1- Run on your schedule... If you need to repeat a day or even a week- do it! The end goal is to finish the program, not give up because it's too hard!

2- Don't think "OMG! 20 Min is a long time without stopping" It is all in your head... I'm doing the same thing now with my marathon training "OMG! 20 Miles is a long way" It is, but you can do it! The program builds you up to that!

3- It's not a race- run at your pace: whatever is comfortable for you. You should be able to breathe comfortably and even say Hi to people you pass.

4- Have fun with it! I hated running in high school and in the military, but doing it this way, on your terms... It is an awsome feeling when you complete that first 5K you run. Then the bug hits... What else can I do? Mabey a 10K or a Half Marathon- the sky is the limit!!

The program adds about 10% each week to get you to the goal. Everything I've read uses this 10% rule. It is achievable and it will not hurt you if you follow the program and don't skip ahead.

There is a lot of information on the web about running technique and running in general-

Here are some links to some helpful sites (many others, do your research!!):

www.chirunning.com (good form and rythm)
    www.runnersworld.com (lots of general running stuff from inspiration to technique to training plans)

Did I mention... HAVE FUN!!