Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It's uber wonderful. Can't recommend it enough. I've done it twice... once over a year ago. However, I had to stop running due to major surgery. Got back into it again this year. I love how it eases you into it!

Just be sure not to over do it at the outset (it's easy to want to, out of excitement). Spread out your runs during the week - running consecutive days is not a good idea; you need to let your body rest in between for a day or two. Also, slow down!! That was one of the best pieces of advice I received when I first started C25K. If you're running slow, slow down even more. Don't worry about how fast your running. Speed will come in time. Just enjoy it... yes, it's hard work, but it really pays off, and it can easily become addictive. :)

My results? I LOVE running now... never thought I'd *ever* say that. I may not run fast or far (and I admit, I still prefer intervals, as they tend to burn more calories for me personally). While I didn't lose a lot of weight due to running, it toned me up really well, and improved my overall feeling and health.
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just started last week. Im currently in week 2 day one, and i do like. Im not a runner (YET) but I will be someday and i know this is the program for me. Week one was difficult but i managed to get thru it. My calves were so tight but I kept going, I can wait ti see this til the end!
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I'm in week 9 now, almost finished. I think it is a very well planned training routine. Feel free to check out my Garmin Connect training log below to see how things went. You can click the "Previous" link near the top right to go back through all my previous workouts. And I have kept a blog as well that you might find interesting. There are links at the bottom of the blog to go to previous posts. You will do great!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/171000731#.T5VO72l4sMI.facebook

http://danslosinit.blogspot.com/
  • melissam926
    Options
    I just finished week 2! I love it! I've sort of ran for awhile but this has kept me motivated. Well, that and I was crazy and signed up for my first half marathon in October.
  • latashababygirl
    latashababygirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I start week 3 tomorrow, cant believe its has been 3 weeks already but I love the small increases each week, I love challenging myself. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just started week 7 today. I love it. When I first started, I never thought I would be able to run for long periods of time, but I have made it through each week and can now run for 25 minutes straight. I am slow, but I don't care. Speed will come later.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    i just finished week one with a struggle :( I have never been a runner but I want to be so bad. I will atempt week 2 next week but I might have to repeat week one before I am ready to move foward. I havnt had any soreness or anything and I kinda like it.

I WILL BE A RUNNER SOMEDAY!!!!

Way to be positive girl...you Can do this...I love your reply
  • nelletali
    nelletali Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner but I did this program last year and it worked great. Of course then I stopped running and kind of lost my momentum. I actually am on week 4 of the program again because I have a 5k coming up. I know I can always walk it but it's nice to know I will be able to run some of it. My only issue is bad knees, so if you have any knee issues take it really slow on the running part and ice them afterwards.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was using the program to help me be able to pass the run portion of a military pt test so I only went to week 7 then redid weeks 2,3, & 4. Not only did I pass my pt test but I also was able to get rid of the inhaler that my doctor put me on.
  • nelletali
    nelletali Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The first time I did the program I did each week twice. In the end I was able to run the 1/2 hour so you can do it!!
  • BiggTim
    BiggTim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't even know about this. I love MFP I learn so much from other people. I'm going to start this program this week.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Well - I am happy to report that a few weeks ago I was able to actually run for 3 miles straight through!! So -the 9 week program actually took me about 6 months - but I can run 3 miles!!!

it's taken me a lot longer than 9 weeks too. I have progressed really slowly, but I am very comfortable with it, especially considering that running is such a mental game. I never thought I would be able to run 10 minutes straight, and I am so excited to be at that point now!

BUMP -- you all are so motivating. i'm very seriously considering attempting this!
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 5 day 1 today! I was absolutely not a runner EVER. I set my sights on this and its happening!

I'm proud to report that this non runner ran (3) 5 minute intervals today and ROCKED IT OUT!! Woo hoo!!

You can do it, its a great program!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and this plan has been suggested to me to help with running and breathing... so I'm thinking about it. Right now, I can't really run more than about 90 seconds without feeling like I'm gonna die, even if I use my albuterol prior to the workout. It feels like running is the only thing I can't do at this point. Also, I have two friends that just finished the plan and started couch to 10k this week. They loved it!

Good luck!!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    First off, I was born with a heart problem and was never allowed torun as a kid, so I never learned how. Following this program I am up to running 2.2 miles straight now, my longest distance. I will finish this program soon. I have kind of gotten away from following the program, only because I am doing a dirty girl next weekend and the first mile is up hill, so I have been running shorter periods on incline. But three weeks ago, I ran my first mile ever. I now consider a mile a quick jog! If I can do this, so can you!

is that the dirty girl mud run? I want to do one of those so bad!! I really wish there was one closer to me!
  • MyTime4Health
    Options
    Hi, I just finished week 2 with Couch to 5K and I love it. The App is easy to use and the pace is very easy to keep up with. Good luck!!!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I will be starting this in a few weeks with a girlfriend. She had surgery and needs to recoupe a bit. We plan to run a 5k in October. I am NOT a runner! but want to be.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Just did Week 4 day 1 tonight! My last interval run (5 minutes) I went sooo slow. I probably looked like an idiot trotting around the neighborhood like that. But it was much easier to get through going slow like that. Don't be afraid to go slow and repeat weeks if you need to.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of c25k apps out there, too. I have one that allows me to play a playlist of music. It tells me when to walk and when to run and tells me how fast my last interval was.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Well - I am happy to report that a few weeks ago I was able to actually run for 3 miles straight through!! So -the 9 week program actually took me about 6 months - but I can run 3 miles!!!

it's taken me a lot longer than 9 weeks too. I have progressed really slowly, but I am very comfortable with it, especially considering that running is such a mental game. I never thought I would be able to run 10 minutes straight, and I am so excited to be at that point now!

BUMP -- you all are so motivating. i'm very seriously considering attempting this!

You should. It's really easy. It seriously starts out with intervals of one minute or so.

When I say it's "easy" I don't mean that some people don't find some days challenging. I just mean that it's easy to follow the program and progress at the speed you need to. Plenty of people repeat weeks.