Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I hated running as a teenager when we were forced to do it before swim practices. I did C25K because I felt like running was the next fitness goal I wanted to conquer. the program definitely worked, although I did not follow it exactly. I stretched it out because I only run a few days a week. But, I followed the general pattern and I am now able to run 5k pretty easily. My longest run so far was 5 miles. I haven't raced yet but probably will enter an event at some point (even though I am still slooooowww).
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i just finished week one with a struggle :( I have never been a runner but I want to be so bad. I will atempt week 2 next week but I might have to repeat week one before I am ready to move foward. I havnt had any soreness or anything and I kinda like it.

I WILL BE A RUNNER SOMEDAY!!!!

Surprise! YOU ARE A RUNNER!! Just keep at it!!
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I was going to do this plan but my boyfriend was on my case about it, saying I should start out either running a mile or jogging for 20 min, whichever comes first. Supposedly the muscles you use for running/jogging are different than those used for walking, so even jogging almost as slowly as you walk is much better. This still seems like a good plan to me, but I'm going with his advice since I want to build up speed and not just endurance.

A lot of people have had great success with C25K. I think it's weird that your bf has a problem with you doing it.

However, C25K is for people for whom running 20 straight minutes is not yet possible. If you can run 20 mins or a mile, then C25K isn't for you.

The point of slowing to a walk is to let your heart rate go back down and let your body rest before running again. The intervals get longer and longer until you're running 20 minutes or longer.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3. I've never got to finish the program. I always seem to sprain an ankle or get knocked up before I can finish it.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done this? What were your results?

I'm in the 6th week and loving it. It's been very easy for me so far.

There's a group on here for it... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4064-c25k-friends
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I was going to do this plan but my boyfriend was on my case about it, saying I should start out either running a mile or jogging for 20 min, whichever comes first. Supposedly the muscles you use for running/jogging are different than those used for walking, so even jogging almost as slowly as you walk is much better. This still seems like a good plan to me, but I'm going with his advice since I want to build up speed and not just endurance.

I am on week 6 and only just now running 20 minutes straight. If you can already go that long, maybe it's not the best program for you. You could look into a Bridge to 10k plan or speed programs. There are definitely other options out there if you're starting out at that level.
  • torshi
    torshi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm actually starting to C25K this week. I'm super excited.
  • amrem83
    amrem83 Posts: 4
    Options
    I did this and it worked great for me. I went from a non runner to a 35 minute 5k in exactly 6 weeks. I do regret not starting the program sooner, so I could have gone through the program the way it was designed. I was already athletic so I started at week 3 in the program. I really pushed myself to get through each week. Since my 5k I have kept running and even backed off of the distance, and then built back up to 5k. Just today I ran 5k in 29 minutes. In January of this year I wasn't a runner at all! Stick with it and as others have mentioned, don't be afraid to repeat weeks!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    First off, I was born with a heart problem and was never allowed torun as a kid, so I never learned how. Following this program I am up to running 2.2 miles straight now, my longest distance. I will finish this program soon. I have kind of gotten away from following the program, only because I am doing a dirty girl next weekend and the first mile is up hill, so I have been running shorter periods on incline. But three weeks ago, I ran my first mile ever. I now consider a mile a quick jog! If I can do this, so can you!
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    currently doing this. I'm on week 2 if you would like support.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, but just walked my first 5K over the weekend. Having done that, I'm starting to think about bigger goals - walk a 10K, walk a half-marathon, RUN a 5K (not necessarily in that order). And after that, who knows?

My biggest concern is the stress on my almost-50-year-old knees, given that I've never run in my life and I'm still carrying around about 70 pounds of excess baggage. But I've looked at the C25K program and this might be the proper way to ease into it for me.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

A lot of people have had great success with C25K. I think it's weird that your bf has a problem with you doing it.

However, C25K is for people for whom running 20 straight minutes is not yet possible. If you can run 20 mins or a mile, then C25K isn't for you.

The point of slowing to a walk is to let your heart rate go back down and let your body rest before running again. The intervals get longer and longer until you're running 20 minutes or longer.

I agree. I would have fallen over dead (Probably literally) in the beginning before I finished 20 minutes of jogging, no matter how slowly.
  • MzAJ2012
    MzAJ2012 Posts: 47
    Options
    i started day 1 of week 1 today not to bad :) im looking forward to the results....
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I did Week 9 Day 1 today, and I was able to go more than the 30 minutes. When I first started this, I didn't think I'd be able to finish. I played soccer, but never really was a runner. I did my 1st 5K a little more than a week ago, and finished. I had to walk part of it, but I finished, I wasn't last.

I love the C25K program. When I started, I was over 230 pounds. I don't run fast, but right now it's just about being able to do it.

Make sure you have good running shoes and listen to your body.
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4...I tend to spend more time in the gym...so I do better with my speed on the treadmill....but I am having fun!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I liked it so much I did it twice!

I started it in December of 2010, finished in February 2011, and started running races the following month. In September and October, I even won a couple medals!

Then in late December I developed a stress fracture and I was on the bench for about 6 weeks. I used C25K to ease me back into running in February.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 now. I love it :) It makes me feel sooo good to be able to go run longer and longer... I'm up to running for 3 and 5 minute intervals and I can do it easily. Before I couldn't even run 2 minutes before wanting to pass out and die lol. I can't wait until I can run for a whole 30 minutes. I want to be able to run 5 miles at a time eventually lol... maybe more.
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Worked AMAZINGLY well!!!! After using it I killed my first 5k.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    If you stick to it and power through the mental blocks it works like a charm. If you half-hiney it you may not be as successful.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I started again yesterday. I started last year and was able to run for 25 minutes straight and then....I QUIT!!! Big mistake! I have not ran in months and beginning again is torture for me, but I will prevail!!!