Is the trainer Right?

Options

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" your ideal weight would be about 122 -- so you should be able to get to 130 and beyond. Prove the trainer wrong!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wow, it doesn't seem right to me.

If you've weighed that much at some point in your adult life, I see no reason why you couldn't get there again with enough effort.

Prove her wrong!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is out to lunch! You have set a very reasonable goal...I say fire the trainer! :explode:
  • courtskey83
    Options
    Was she basing that off of a lean body weight calculation or something?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    That goal is more than achievable for your height!

Maybe she was just trying not to get your hopes up too much in case you didn't make it. *shrugs* IMO though, that's not appropriate, she should be encouraging you, not making out like you can't do it!! I'd get a new trainer personally, one that supports you fully, and will push you to achieving YOUR goals, not doubting you! :smile:
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    im 5'5 and i could reach that. i agree find a new trainer.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Does she expect you to gain so much muscle you'll always be above 130? Sounds like an unreasonable thing to say anyway.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The trainer's job is to guide and motivate you to exercise, teaching you about form, challenging you to push to knew strength goals, and that sort of thing. She's not a nutritionist. She's not a doctor. If you get to your goal weight, it won't really have much to do with her.

If she rubs you the wrong way, then get a new trainer.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors that determine "ideal" weight. One cookie cutter formula doesn't apply to everyone. For example, I have VERY large breasts. My weight at 5'7" is naturally going to be more than a flat chested girl at the same height. That's just common sense in my opinion.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. My trainer never says I can't do anything. She doesn't commit to a specific weight or goal either. She tends to focus me on mini-goals. We celebrate each 10 pounds lost, then focus on the next 10. When I'm happy with my wieght and size then she'll help me focus on maintenance.

I would tell her that you feel her attitude is unprofessional. You pay her to support and encourage you not to get in the way! :explode:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    stop wasting money on trainers, use your mfp friends for motivation, set up a plan and go for it..that way, no one can tell you that you "CAN'T".

I am beginning to rank personal trainers alongside ticket scalpers and lawyers in the league table of humanity.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    She doesn't know how motivated you are. Show her she is wrong! LOL
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I went through this exact situation with my trainer a couple years ago. I was doing lots of heavy lifting and weighed 140lbs at 5'6" (my highest weight ever). I decided I wanted to drop 10 lbs and weigh 130 and was told flat out no. He went on to take out pen and paper and crunched some numbers. After subtracting my lean body mass, essential body fat etc etc I was not left with 10 lbs to lose. I now weigh under my goal of 130 which means it was possible but I've most likely lost some muscle. Maybe your trainer was saying you don't have that much to lose? Then again, maybe not.
  • Jstewartdesigns
    Jstewartdesigns Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My trainer is not so much concerned about weight or calorie input but into nutrients and lean body mass. She doesn't even own a scale and has trained women body builders and has won trophies herself. There is such a thing as a "fat skinny". Maybe you're trainer's goal is to get your lean body mass up and your fat gone rather than a number on the scale.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Did she tell you WHY she thought that? It seems really reasonable to me. You're just a little peanut, 130 isn't unreasonable.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and never thought I would see 150 again. I've seen 150, 140, and I am now shooting for 130.
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    That would annoy my too. I'm sure you could even get below 130! I mean your 5' 1" right? I mean it might take a lot of time but its messed up to say that you can never get there. Work hard and prove her wrong, I say!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it. It's a reasonable, healthy weight for your height so with enough motivation it's definitely achievable :) PROVE HER WRONG!

This exactly prove her wrong!!! You can do it!
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet tall and was settling for 115 as an attainable goal at age 55. I joined MFP just over a week ago and was inspired immensely by all the women I have connected with who are close to my height AND age and are well below my 115 lb goal. I have changed my expectations to a weight at the lower, healthy range for my height.

You are too young to settle for 130.

Don't let this trainer tell you that you can't do this. Throughout this site there are too many folks to prove her wrong. If you decide to keep her as a trainer don't take her advice around the lbs.

Personally, I would want a trainer who supports my goals.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Your trainer doesn't seem to have much confidence in you, or in herslef for that matter. 5'1" and 130 is totally doable. I would get myself a new trainer and prove the old one wrong!