Discrimination against skinny/fit women

Options

Replies

• Karalopolous
    Options
    Yep, I have had this happening recently. A lady at work who is much more overweight than I has been making comments about my clothes being too tight or innappropriate, etc. However, I am CONSTANTLY complimented by guests on my attire, both men and women, so I know that I'm not just being overly sensitive.
    Also, when some people see how much I eat/how frequently they make comments as well. (Um, hello, how do you think I lost this weight??)
    It's really hurtful and it's not fair bc I won't stoop to their level and make rude comments back.
    I have found people that make comments like that or try to degrade others are just unhappy and they don't know how to deal with it
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    It sounds like you are being just as judgmental as anyone you are complaining about. Congrats for "changing".
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    If you're thin and eat something healthy, you eat like a rabbit and need a cheeseburger.

If you eat something considered "fattening," you're warned that it will catch up to you.

Although I actually loved being told that the donut I was eating at work a few years ago was going to catch up to me when I hit 30. Because I was 35 at the time. :laugh:

this exactly including the being told it would catch up to me when I hit 30 and I am 35!! hehe
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    How do you know they are discriminating against you because you're thin though? Did you ask them? A person being a horrible driver or a person being rude and not holding a door for you are hardly signs of discrimination because of your weight... Those people could be jerks to every one.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I can't wait to be discriminated against because I'm skinny...lol. Ask me if I'm smoking crack and I'll smile, say no I'm not and thank them for thinking so...:laugh:
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    as you can tell I never been a skinny/fit woman...or have I? anyway I can tell you what its like for me. The soul crushing the stares, the wispers, just the all around judgmental attitued. I am sorry op for what you through and skinny bashing and fat bashing needs to stop
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    How do you know they are discriminating against you because you're thin though? Did you ask them? A person being a horrible driver or a person being rude and not holding a door for you are hardly signs of discrimination because of your weight... Those people could be jerks to every one.

^^ this
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think that society teaches us to judge women on their appearance. I try to be cognizant of this and watch my thoughts. There are people I think that are too thin. And other people I think look really fit. And other people that I think have great bodies. And people I think are attractive. And others I think are less so.

I rarely make comments about anyone's appearance in any way. Other than complimenting someone on their outfit/accessories/whatever. Occasionally I might comment to a friend, something like...that poor girl looks like she hates her shoes right now, if I see someone walking around looking like they wore their shoes for 1 too many hours. Or maybe something like "isn't she hot wearing those huge boots when it is 90 degrees outside." This is all part of the people watching.

I've never thought to myself "OMG I hate that girl she is so skinny." I also don't think skinny and fit are the same thing. They aren't. I am really impressed when I see a woman with visible muscle tone. For lots of reasons.

Maybe other people are different. I don't have any friends who call out other women's bodies. Who knows, I haven't ever been thin. I don't know if it is regional, paranoia or something else.

I actually have a lot more fun comparing notes on clothing fit with my friends. They all come in all shapes and sizes. And everyone still can't find clothes that fit!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Your post makes it sound like all big women are just horrible to skinny. I've got to say....coming from both ends, I never had other women being mean to me for my weight. I was overweight, which yeah...highschool can suck when you are...but I've been underweight as well. Now at a healthy weight, I still have not seen any outright discrimination.. How can you say a woman driver is looking at you like she'd want to run you over JUST because your skinny and she isn't? How could you possibly know whats running through their minds?

Not trying to just be insulting, but what you said just sounded rather rude towards bigger women like they are all horrible..
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with op. I've been both thin and obese and I was almost scared to be thin again. I finally got to the point where my health and happines outweighs what crap I am going to get from society for being thin.

Being overweight has been so easy because no one even seems to notice you most of the time. I blend in with about 75% of the population here.

I will never forget my mother thinking I was on drugs as a teenager because I was thinner than everyone else in the family. Scarred me for life :(

It is just weird to me that being slightly overweight or even plain fat is more acceptable than being skinny. People actually think that if you're a little on the thin side, you're unhealthy or have an eating disorder. They totally ignore all of the studies that have shown that calorie restriction is actually a healthy way to live and restricting calories leads to a longer life.

Oh well, I'm finally to the point where I'll be happy if someone says I need to "eat a cheeseburger"!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    :)

tumblr_lye5uqubVM1r2hffuo1_500.png

I'll take the redhead in bottom left!

She's all yours. I'm claiming the brunette beside her, okay?
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have been fat and I have been thin, and/or fit. I have found that there are two types of discrimination. Discrimination from skinny people (mostly women) against fat women and the contrary - fat women against skinny women.

I will tell ya, I have a new appreciation for women who have looked good their entire life. Having been on both sides of the discrimination, I have found that skinny women are far more tolerant of overweight women then the other way around. These days, heaven forbid should I want to cross the road and a heavy set woman is driving my way. She'd just assume run me over then let me cross. OR, if I am walking into a building behind an overweight woman, she'd just assume let the door hit me in the face than hold it. Things like this keep happening and happening to me. Although, when I was fat, I had a small degree of this from skinny women, the contrary far out weighs those experiences. I have had women say, very seriously, "I hate you" or "You B*&^ch" because of my weight loss. Thoughts and experiences on the subject?

Women trying to run you over because you look good. I can't buy that, because at some point you would think they would just hit you and get it over with. I do agree with you that there is judgement from women against women. I too have been thin and heavy. My experience has been when I'm thin females including family feel it's okay to tell me I look sick or eat a piece of chicken.
    I also don't get comments if I look nice. When I'm big it goes like this: a woman much smaller then me usually an associate says "omg my fat butt is huge I need to lose some weight" meanwhile they clearly see and know I am huge compared to them. It's a passive aggressive comment. I also get the omg you look great when I know I gained 5-10lbs but they have nothing else to say. I chalk it up to it's about them not me, maybe I'm sensitive, do I like what I see in the mirror if not I have to do something about it. Point blank period.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    the one on the stool! gets my vote
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 282 pounds and iv got down to 166, with a large-build and at 5'10 i look okay, i do not look ill or like i have an ED or anything, my BMI and BF are in healthy ranges and my family all say how much healthier i look after losing all the weight. Ive started running and doing weights and carried on my healthy eating because my goal weight is 150.

some of my friends however have totally changed their attitudes towards me. Ive known some of these girls 7 or 8 years and have been best friends all that time. when i was morbidly obese, i never got any comments made about how i looked or my choices in food. HOWEVER, it is a totally different story now.

I am constantly told how horrible i look and that i look like im about to 'snap' which is ridiculous. my best friend in particular tells me how ill i look on a regular basis and criticises my food choices and exercise choices. she herself is quite overweight, she wears the same size clothes that i used to wear when i was 282, im not sure of her weight, i would never ask as it is a sensitive issue for some people.

i dont know why my friends think they now have the right to critisize my appearence and be judgemental of my food choices, when i was morbidly obese, they never did, they used to tell me they liked my dress/hair and things rather than put me down.

I would never dream of critizising their diets or appearence in the way they do with me, no matter how much/little they weighed so i dont understand why they do it to me.

surely they must realise i have problems with my body image, otherwise i wouldnt have put so much effort into losing all of this weight so why they think its a good idea to make horrid comments on my appearence, ill never know.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Now, ladies...sorry about the derailment here, please..lets allow this to go back to topic, I don't want your thread closed. My only reason for bringing it up was an example of how discrimination can exist without the person being descriminated against being a minority, or the person descriminating being 'mean'.

Actually, you very nicely brought it back around to the original topic. The fat against skinny or skinny against fat dynamic is one that some people would put in the category of "reverse discrimination", and I dislike that term. Either it's discrimination or it's not, and in my view, it is wrong whether the victim of discrimination is considered a minority or not, or whether it is socially acceptable to make fun of that group or not. The double standards certainly do exist (in the male/female dynamic as well as in the fat/skinny dynamic and many others). I was trying to point that out to the first middle class white man that made the comment implying that it was okay to make fun of skinny girls because they "have it easier" (a few posts up from mine), which wasn't you. But you illustrating indignation at the male/female “reverse discrimination” that I ignited, shows nicely why it’s just as wrong to make fun of skinny girls as it is to make fun of overweight girls, follow?

I agree. I understood the tie...that's why I'd originally made the point about other forms of descrimination (and reverse...though I agree, it's a silly term) against people not normally associated with it being a good model. What I was apologizing for regarding derailment, was the fact that most of what I said involved other very controversial topics lol. I said them anyhow because they illustrate the point, but still.

Plus, anytime the word 'feminism' and my name are attached in one post...some women on these forums have made me feel like I'm going to wake up with a big red X on my front door lol.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 282 pounds and iv got down to 166, with a large-build and at 5'10 i look okay, i do not look ill or like i have an ED or anything, my BMI and BF are in healthy ranges and my family all say how much healthier i look after losing all the weight. Ive started running and doing weights and carried on my healthy eating because my goal weight is 150.

some of my friends however have totally changed their attitudes towards me. Ive known some of these girls 7 or 8 years and have been best friends all that time. when i was morbidly obese, i never got any comments made about how i looked or my choices in food. HOWEVER, it is a totally different story now.

I am constantly told how horrible i look and that i look like im about to 'snap' which is ridiculous. my best friend in particular tells me how ill i look on a regular basis and criticises my food choices and exercise choices. she herself is quite overweight, she wears the same size clothes that i used to wear when i was 282, im not sure of her weight, i would never ask as it is a sensitive issue for some people.

i dont know why my friends think they now have the right to critisize my appearence and be judgemental of my food choices, when i was morbidly obese, they never did, they used to tell me they liked my dress/hair and things rather than put me down.

I would never dream of critizising their diets or appearence in the way they do with me, no matter how much/little they weighed so i dont understand why they do it to me.

surely they must realise i have problems with my body image, otherwise i wouldnt have put so much effort into losing all of this weight so why they think its a good idea to make horrid comments on my appearence, ill never know.

Get new friends
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I just ignore any comments like that cause I know they probably want my body. No I'm not cocky or whatever it's just that many women bash other women because they are jealous.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If you're thin and eat something healthy, you eat like a rabbit and need a cheeseburger.

If you eat something considered "fattening," you're warned that it will catch up to you.

Although I actually loved being told that the donut I was eating at work a few years ago was going to catch up to me when I hit 30. Because I was 35 at the time. :laugh:

I hope this happens to me one day. :)
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have been fat and I have been thin, and/or fit. I have found that there are two types of discrimination. Discrimination from skinny people (mostly women) against fat women and the contrary - fat women against skinny women.

I will tell ya, I have a new appreciation for women who have looked good their entire life. Having been on both sides of the discrimination, I have found that skinny women are far more tolerant of overweight women then the other way around. These days, heaven forbid should I want to cross the road and a heavy set woman is driving my way. She'd just assume run me over then let me cross. OR, if I am walking into a building behind an overweight woman, she'd just assume let the door hit me in the face than hold it. Things like this keep happening and happening to me. Although, when I was fat, I had a small degree of this from skinny women, the contrary far out weighs those experiences. I have had women say, very seriously, "I hate you" or "You B*&^ch" because of my weight loss. Thoughts and experiences on the subject?
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options

The phrase is "as soon". As in "She would as soon run me over". Maybe it was your brain they were trying to put out of its misery.