dry cleaner forgot to charge- what would you do?

Options

Replies

• solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Pay for the service you received. You say they screwed up. Yes, they lost the little piece of paper with your new phone number. So what. They picked up, cleaned and then delivered your clothes to you. Do you honestly feel that because somewhere along the line a little piece of paper was lost that it justifies you not paying them? Or making them work so much harder to track you down to pay them for their services?

How would YOU feel if the roles were reversed?

Here's another way to look at it: If none of that changes your self-justifications, then think of how your boss and coworkers will react when they find out you stiffed the cleaners. And rest assured, they WILL find out. Even if you don't believe in doing the right thing simply because "it is right", is your professional reputation at your place of work worth ruining over this amount of money?
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I would pay...they performed the service...and if, as you say, they "screwed up" one has to ask, have you never made a mistake? Karma can be a real Bi---! I'm just saying!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I would pay I went to the gas station the other day and it told me to pick the grade of fuel I wanted and and start fueling and I didnt swipe my card I went in and told the attendant. I will admit for one split second I thought about it but I couldnt do it
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yep, pay it. Clearing up a mistake on their part could only be good karma for you. Is it such a large amount that it is really worth stiffing them?

My story: Bought a couple of skirts and a hat at a large-sized womens store (who shall remain nameless). My bill was lower than expected and even the clerk commented on "on-sale" things seemed to be. But in reality, she forgot to charge me for one skirt. After leaving the store I reviewed my receipt and found the error. I returned and we got the charge corrected.

My dad always said if you're gonna steal, steal big and make sure the consequence is darned well worth the price!

Not so say that you are stealing, but for me that is how my family lives.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Integrity is what you do when nobody is looking.

You decide.
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would pay. They did the job and deserve their money. For me, living with integrity is more important than a few bucks. Maybe no one else knows but God knows and *I* know, so I would pay.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    It's obvious you are concerned about not paying enough that you post the question on a health message board. I live treating people like I want to be treated. I would feel like I stole their services if I did not go in and pay. Think how much better you will feel. Plus if you do go back and pay you will have a good memory to live with.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    In this case its cheap to do the right thing.
    You have to pay for services received and it will make using them again easier for you.
    Give them your updated info so they can more easily correct mistakes in the future.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    would you call them and pay? I wasn't planning on it because if you ask me, they screwed up. I did everything they asked, they are just too stupid to call the new number I gave them and are probably calling the old number. Obviously if they really wanted payment they could ask my company how to get in touch with me, so I know I'm not in the clear.

First it's not their job to hunt you down to pay for something you asked them to do. You're a grown up and as such you know you asked for a service and you know that service should be paid for. Therefore you should go to the shop and pay them. Also it's not really appropriate to call them "too stupid" because they didn't have time to hunt you down. Plus I think it is eating at your conscience for not paying anyways. Might as well get it out of the way eh?
  • beckybernardo
    beckybernardo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hesitate to pay. I truely believe what goes around comes around. If you do the right thing, then good things will happen to you
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    Karma is no reason.

She could have done something very kind at some point, and this is HER getting paid back. The cleaner could have overcharged someone and did't correct it, and this is THEM getting paid back.

The right thing to do is to offer to pay them. Next time you use them, call, remind them of the forgotten charge, and offer to include it in the current bill. They may decline, or they may add it on. Either way, you'll have offered up your end of the deal.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'd call them with my new info... say "Hey I noticed you didn't charge me this time, here's my new contact information, please charge my card # blah blah blah"

Unless you want to be known as the lady who didn't pay the first time. (And who knows after all this they may just say whatever and give this batch to you for free) if not, well they probably need the money more.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Each of us is responsible for our own behavior, making sure that we treat others fairly and in a manner in which we would like to be treated. The fact that someone else made a mistake does not relieve us of this responsibility to them, and more importantly, to ourselves.

A related quote that has stuck with me since I was a child:

“A man's character is like his house. If he tears boards off his house and burns them to keep himself warm and comfortable, his house soon becomes a ruin. If he tells lies to be able to do the things he shouldn't do but wants to, his character will soon become a ruin. A man with a ruined character is a shame on the face of the earth.”
    ― Ralph Moody, Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really? Pay for it.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    The company I work at offers a pick-up and delivery dry cleaning service from a place in the area every Monday and Thursday. I've used this dry cleaner in the past (over a year ago) at their store location, but never did the pick-up/drop-off. Last Thursday I decided I would try it. I called the cleaners to find out how it works, and the lady said she would call me after they picked-up the clothes with the price, and that I could give her my credit card number over the phone. She asked that I staple a piece of paper to the bag with my phone number and contact information, so I did. She didn't want to take my credit card then because they have to look at the clothes first to see what to charge it as, and she didn't want me to write the credit card number on the paper for privacy. Well, they never called and I've already got my clothes back (they were dropped off at my office today). I noticed on the ticket they have my old phone number listed (probably from when I came into the store a year ago) but that number is now disconnected. I attached a sheet with my current cell phone number to the bag of clothes (as the cleaner employee requested), so my question for you all is... would you call them and pay? I wasn't planning on it because if you ask me, they screwed up. I did everything they asked, they are just too stupid to call the new number I gave them and are probably calling the old number. Obviously if they really wanted payment they could ask my company how to get in touch with me, so I know I'm not in the clear. But if this happened to you, would you take it upon yourself to pay or just enjoy your clean clothes? Feel free to justify your response.

I'd call and pay. It's not like they'd owe me free dry cleaning because they made a mistake. I got something I asked for, I should pay for it. I can't imagine any way I could justify not paying fr something I both requested and received. I don't feel obligated to pay for things I didn't ask for, like stuff sent in the mail unsolicited. In that case it would depend on the situation. But if I sent it to them, and they sent it back cleaned, morally I owe them and I'd call them, call their attention to it, and pay for it. I actually drove forty minutes back to a Target store where I received too much change. I got change for a twenty and I paid with a ten. Morality is about doing what is right, even when you don't have to.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Personally, I would call and pay but that's because I'm a Christian and I would feel guilty if I didn't.

Is there some reason that you need to bring your religion into it? I'd do what is right because it's right, and because morality is about doing what is right even when there is no penalty for doing wrong. Since you say you'd pay because you'd feel guilty, why would your christianity matter to the question?
  • FitLink
    Options
    I think you should follow the example of the young Abraham Lincoln and cut down a cherry tree.

LOL LOVE IT!! :love: :laugh:
  • steelerwheeler
    Options
    I would call and pay for it. It is the right thing to do and if I put myself in their shoes I would want someone to treat me with the same honesty and respect if it was my mistake. Our planet needs more people to lead by example...I encourage you to take that step.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    lol you cheap *kitten*.
  • BiggTim
    BiggTim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would pay. I would feel like karma would get me if I didn't lol.