dry cleaner forgot to charge- what would you do?

Options

Replies

• russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely call and pay.

Yeah, they messed up.... because businesses are run by humans, which have a tendency to mess up once in a while. But, they met their obligation by doing the job, and taking advantage of their human-ness is no excuse for me not to meet my obligation to pay.

If it were the other way around, you would want them to call you and at least give you a chance to deal with the mistake!

Just my 2 cents! :)
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    First I would check to make sure they didn't charge your companies account for your clothes cleaning. That has happened to me before. If they didn't then I would call and pay them, more because eventually they will audit their books and find that you never paid and will ask to be paid. Mistakes happen, we all make them and the right thing to do is to pay them.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The company I work at offers a pick-up and delivery dry cleaning service from a place in the area every Monday and Thursday. I've used this dry cleaner in the past (over a year ago) at their store location, but never did the pick-up/drop-off. Last Thursday I decided I would try it. I called the cleaners to find out how it works, and the lady said she would call me after they picked-up the clothes with the price, and that I could give her my credit card number over the phone. She asked that I staple a piece of paper to the bag with my phone number and contact information, so I did. She didn't want to take my credit card then because they have to look at the clothes first to see what to charge it as, and she didn't want me to write the credit card number on the paper for privacy. Well, they never called and I've already got my clothes back (they were dropped off at my office today). I noticed on the ticket they have my old phone number listed (probably from when I came into the store a year ago) but that number is now disconnected. I attached a sheet with my current cell phone number to the bag of clothes (as the cleaner employee requested), so my question for you all is... would you call them and pay? I wasn't planning on it because if you ask me, they screwed up. I did everything they asked, they are just too stupid to call the new number I gave them and are probably calling the old number. Obviously if they really wanted payment they could ask my company how to get in touch with me, so I know I'm not in the clear. But if this happened to you, would you take it upon yourself to pay or just enjoy your clean clothes? Feel free to justify your response.

Lots of people ave replied with Karma, morality, guilt, etc driving them. Regardless of how you feel about all of that stuff, my guess is that the dry cleaners may even realize that they didnt charge you because they perhaps lost your phone number. Yes, they could track you down through your employer, but i suspect they assume you will be contacting them to arrange payment simply because you do know that they can contact you anyways. They probably think you will be continuing to use their service so you will be paying your bill prior to your next pick up.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the clothes you got back were laundered? Maybe they sent back dirty clothes because they couldn't contact you. I'm surprised that they would return clothes that were dry cleaned but haven't been paid for.

Check that first, then if they are clean - call back and give payment info and let them know that their computer info is old info, the number you provided on the original slip with the clothes is the correct number.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery store checking out my purchases, the clerk took my garlic to scan and just put it in the bag, by mistake. I told her to scan the garlic which she then did. I would have felt guilty if I didn't tell her to scan the garlic.

What you are doing is basically stealing if you don't contact them and make sure that your account was charged. They could file charges against you. I suspect that your account has already been charged and they used the old telephone as a convenient thing to do.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. I once found $40.00 in an ATM and took it but felt so guilty I donated it to an at risk youth program.

Not sure if Karma is real, but I'd err on the side of caution. :smile:
  • Nactasha
    Nactasha Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would pay, and here is why. This is a company that your employer has a relationship with. I don't know what kind of industry you work in, but my company has quite a bit of business to business interaction. I would hate to have my manager come to me to find out why I did not pay for something, even a personal expense. It could make me look dishonest or just plain unorganized. I would be completely embarassed to have not resolved the issue myself.

I would definetly say that I do not always pass the integrity test. Once I had my 2 year old at the grocery store (a toddler at a grocery store is quite an adventure), and I did not realize until I was home that they didn't ring up the gallon of milk. It was a mistake on my part more than of the store, although the cashier didn't notice the error either. But it was only $2.50 so I wasn't really compelled to drive back to the store to resolve the issue.

However, the car repair shop I used inadvertly charged me for only half of the repairs. When I realized the error I called and payed the rest.

Yeah, I guess that is a bit of a grey line to walk, but I'm not perfect.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    The guilt would get to me so I'd either pay or be eaten up with guilt.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would call and pay but that's because I'm a Christian and I would feel guilty if I didn't.

Is there some reason that you need to bring your religion into it? I'd do what is right because it's right, and because morality is about doing what is right even when there is no penalty for doing wrong. Since you say you'd pay because you'd feel guilty, why would your christianity matter to the question?

Because being a Christian is who I am and is why I do or don't do things. There are things I would have done and not felt as guilty about or not felt guilty about at all before I became a Christian. Each of us has our own reason why we would or worldn't pay. Also, op said feel free to justify your response so I was just explaining why I would pay.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would call and pay but that's because I'm a Christian and I would feel guilty if I didn't.
    No offense but being Christian or any other religion has nothing to do with it.

With that said...I would call and pay. It is human error and I wouldn't want it to happen to me.

Actually, for me it has everything to do with it. My morals and values are based on my Christianity.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Really I just started this thread because I was curious to see people's reactions, how morality would come into it and the kind of justifications people give. That kind of thing interests me. I'm going to pay, because when I took all my clothes out of the bag this morning, I realized they left out a pair of pants and I want those pants back.

I didn't go into all the detail but this is interesting to me...
    If this is a cleaners that you will use often then I'd say "yes" I would go pay for them. If it's a one shot deal and you'll never see them again, well I'd say "no".

First off, I appreciate a totally honest response. Secondly, the reason I never went back to this cleaners last year is because I brought a shirt and a jacket in both with small spots. They were very confident they could get the spots out and if not they wouldn't charge me. When I went back to pick up the clothes, there was a different woman at the counter. They didn't get the spots out, and the other employee refused to take it off the bill. I asked if she could ask her manager, adn sher refused to even get the manager. I paid $18 for those two items just so I could get my clothes and left angry (the bill was over $250 total because there were several other items so it wasn't like I was trying to get out of all of it, I still paid plenty). The only reason I used them this time is I've been working 60 hour weeks at my job I didn't have a chance to make it over to my preferred cleaners. The drop-off/pick-up service was just more convenient. Some of you mention karma, maybe this is karma coming back around to them for their poor customer service last time (and this time considering they forgot my pants).

On another note, this particular cleaners is not a mom and pop place, they are a huge chain with over 10 locations in my city, and that did factor into my opinion. I am a big supporter of local/small business. I'm not a complete *kitten*, I got a massage last week and the lady chatted me up so much at the end she also forgot to charge me. Because she owns her own business and prides herself on customer service, I went back and paid her. I support businesses who take care of their customers, I'm not a fan of business' who place customer priorities low on the scale.

I also thinks it's funny that my original post has been hijacked by a debate about Christianity. Just sayin'.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. I once found $40.00 in an ATM and took it but felt so guilty I donated it to an at risk youth program.

Not sure if Karma is real, but I'd err on the side of caution. :smile:

good for you! I got an Old Navy gift card in a magazine ad once. You had to bring into the store to find out how much it was worth. It was worth $100, so I bought clothes all for Christmas Angel family.
    I would pay, and here is why. This is a company that your employer has a relationship with. I don't know what kind of industry you work in, but my company has quite a bit of business to business interaction. I would hate to have my manager come to me to find out why I did not pay for something, even a personal expense. It could make me look dishonest or just plain unorganized. I would be completely embarassed to have not resolved the issue myself.
    Also this^. This I can agree with.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Yep, pay it. Clearing up a mistake on their part could only be good karma for you. Is it such a large amount that it is really worth stiffing them?

My story: Bought a couple of skirts and a hat at a large-sized womens store (who shall remain nameless). My bill was lower than expected and even the clerk commented on "on-sale" things seemed to be. But in reality, she forgot to charge me for one skirt. After leaving the store I reviewed my receipt and found the error. I returned and we got the charge corrected.

My dad always said if you're gonna steal, steal big and make sure the consequence is darned well worth the price!

Not so say that you are stealing, but for me that is how my family lives.

Interesting. I have a similar experience. I use a SodaStream to carbonate water, and I have 3 CO2 canisters that I swap out at a local store when they are empty. It's $15/canister to swap and their computer rings it as $14.99 sale and $0.01 for the "deposit." Scanning the canister only rings the $0.01, then they have to scan a card at the register to ring the $14.99. I always have other purchases so the canisters are never the only thing I get. Every single time I take them in, someone scans the canisters but not the card, and I get charged $0.03 for my three canisters instead of $30.00. I point it out and they always promise to do some training so it doesn't happen again, and it always does. It's been happening for a year now. A mistake? Yes. Stupid? Probably. Do they therefor owe me free CO2? No. What is right is right. Period. It doesn't become magically okay to take other people's stuff because they're stupid, no matter how stupid they are.
  • FitLink
    Options

Is there some reason that you need to bring your religion into it? I'd do what is right because it's right, and because morality is about doing what is right even when there is no penalty for doing wrong. Since you say you'd pay because you'd feel guilty, why would your christianity matter to the question?

Because being a Christian is who I am and is why I do or don't do things. There are things I would have done and not felt as guilty about or not felt guilty about at all before I became a Christian. Each of us has our own reason why we would or worldn't pay. Also, op said feel free to justify your response so I was just explaining why I would pay.

So you wouldn't feel guilty about not paying for something you contracted for and received, if/when you weren't a christian? You don't think it's wrong, it's just a christian rule you follow? I'm trying to understand. To me, right is right and wrong is wrong, no matter what I believe about something else.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I would pay. I doubt the dry cleaner makes a lot of money.
  • yungnold
    yungnold Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would pay... would feel horrible if I didn't
  • FitLink
    Options
    Really I just started this thread because I was curious to see people's reactions, how morality would come into it and the kind of justifications people give. That kind of thing interests me. I'm going to pay, because when I took all my clothes out of the bag this morning, I realized they left out a pair of pants and I want those pants back.

I didn't go into all the detail but this is interesting to me...
    If this is a cleaners that you will use often then I'd say "yes" I would go pay for them. If it's a one shot deal and you'll never see them again, well I'd say "no".

First off, I appreciate a totally honest response. Secondly, the reason I never went back to this cleaners last year is because I brought a shirt and a jacket in both with small spots. They were very confident they could get the spots out and if not they wouldn't charge me. When I went back to pick up the clothes, there was a different woman at the counter. They didn't get the spots out, and the other employee refused to take it off the bill. I asked if she could ask her manager, adn sher refused to even get the manager. I paid $18 for those two items just so I could get my clothes and left angry (the bill was over $250 total because there were several other items so it wasn't like I was trying to get out of all of it, I still paid plenty). The only reason I used them this time is I've been working 60 hour weeks at my job I didn't have a chance to make it over to my preferred cleaners. The drop-off/pick-up service was just more convenient. Some of you mention karma, maybe this is karma coming back around to them for their poor customer service last time (and this time considering they forgot my pants).

On another note, this particular cleaners is not a mom and pop place, they are a huge chain with over 10 locations in my city, and that did factor into my opinion. I am a big supporter of local/small business. I'm not a complete *kitten*, I got a massage last week and the lady chatted me up so much at the end she also forgot to charge me. Because she owns her own business and prides herself on customer service, I went back and paid her. I support businesses who take care of their customers, I'm not a fan of business' who place customer priorities low on the scale.

I also thinks it's funny that my original post has been hijacked by a debate about Christianity. Just sayin'.

You don't think when someone says "I'd do this and not that because I'm a christian," it's about morality?
  • FitLink
    Options

With that said...I would call and pay. It is human error and I wouldn't want it to happen to me.

For her, being a Christian has everything to do with it. That is her value system and she is simply explaining her decision based on her value system.

So she wouldn't have values if she wasn't christian? Or it wouldn't be wrong if she weren't christian? I really don't understand this. I hear this so often, that morals come from christianity, but I notice that many non-christian people don't steal. Ever, and under any circumstances. Karma, a concept that has been brought up often on this thread is a non-christian concept. It's a belief of buddhism,, jainism, hinduism and sikhism, and it's the most-stated reason on this thread as to why someone would pay. None of the people who stated it as their reason named their religion, but statistically, most of them were at least judeo-christian, if not actually christian. They didn't feel the need to say it, because christianity isn't a moral framework. Things are right and wrong independent of religion.
  • FitLink
    Options

Actually, for me it has everything to do with it. My morals and values are based on my Christianity.

Honestly that makes me frightened of you. I can't know that you believe that anything is right or wrong outside what your god says is right and wrong, and I know from experience that the christian god tells his followers to harm and kill some people he feels are sinners. I know this because christians have harmed me because their god told them to. I base my morality on the least possible harm to any conscious creature, so people can be sure I won't decide it's okay to physically harm them.
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

I agree with you 100% about my relationship with Christ is the exact reason why I do or don't do things. I try my hardest to run all my decisions through a lens of integrity and doing the right thing. Attacking someone because they are Christian and offered an answer as a Christian isn't fair. It's also not fair to paint all Christians with a brush that is tainted by your own personal experience. We are all individuals - not robots.