muscles no thanks

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few woman like the first pic. Female bodybuilding is becoming more and more popular. Personally Im not into it, and I'd rather be like the girl in the 2nd picture!
    I have to disagree here. Female bodybuilding is on the decline. Bikini, Figure and Fitness competitions are definitely overtaking female bodybuilding.
    When Rachel McLish, Kiki Elomaa, Diana Dennis, etc. did it back in the 80's it was cool because they still looked feminine, but todays female bodybuilders look and sound like males. Here's a pic of Rachel McLish in her prime.

photo13.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Oh wow..that first pic is just...sad. Body dismorphia for sure. How can ANY woman do that and think she looks good?

There are quite a few woman like the first pic. Female bodybuilding is becoming more and more popular. Personally Im not into it, and I'd rather be like the girl in the 2nd picture!

When it gets to that stage, it's not about looking good, it's about having the biggest, most symmetrical muscles. It's about the competition.

OP - I was being flippant with my first reply, but if you really don't want any muscle, it is just a low calorie diet and cardio. It's not an easy or fun way to live tho' and especially with your injuries I think building some strength would help you and make burning fat easier. Adding some resistance work into your current routine will help you.

^This. Injuries to joints could lead to osteoarthritis and a lifetime of pain. Yes, you can get arthritis in your spine. Strong mucles support the joints and help them to function better. You should consult with a physical therapist though, and learn what exercise will be most appropriate for your limitations.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want muscle? Having muscle helps you stay strong, fit, and have a higher metabolism than you would without. You're never going to look bulky without some serious intentional effort. I'd rather not be weak and atrophied when I get to my goal.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    how can I avoid gaining muscles?

Don't take steroids while lifting weights.

For the vast majority of the population (male and female) a moderate program of weight lifting will increase your strength, improve your injury resistance and make you feel a lot better without adding bulk. Bodybuilders spend hours a day in the gym and, I suspect, give mother nature a helping hand.

Cool story bro, tell it again
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want muscle? Having muscle helps you stay strong, fit, and have a higher metabolism than you would without. You're never going to look bulky without some serious intentional effort. I'd rather not be weak and atrophied when I get to my goal.

*never look bulky ever, shes a woman. its not possible, without needles.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This chick has muscles, and she's 30.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eUKuxuxm3E

That chick is hot.

Good luck with your no-muscle look.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This....beat me to it.....same thing I was going to say.
    yeah the whole steroid thing never appealed to me, im a small guy but i have visible gains from just working hard and eating right (not all the time but 80% of the time im eating well)
    look at my DP most of that muscle has been put on in the last 4 weeks!
    i was really scrawny before now work clooeagues are saying that my shoulders are wider and arms are bigger.
    So Steroids are the lazy mans way of getting the muscle fast

My advise is just whey poweder and good old creatine!

lol@ lazy. taking testosterone enhances your ability to recuperate, it doesnt just make them bigger automatically. you have to train 3x as hard. you get bigger faster, but you sure as hell arent "taking the easy way out" by doing it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Dear every woman who ever fought for her life, her freedom, her rights, her equality... chicks wanna be weak now. Hope you're proud ;)
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I love muscles and how I can eat more, move better, stronger bones, better balance, nicer looking *kitten*, confidence, pick up heavy things, wear smaller pants, look great in my clothes and out of them...yeah good luck with the no muscle thing. Life should be grand for you.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thank you briansharpe I won't take any steroids. I was hit by a car so can't do any lifting because of I have a shattered disk in my spine and tendonitis in my right shoulder.

Hello mandyloo, but if I want to lose fat don't I have to exercise?

Thanks for your responses!

I think you need to talk to a doctor or physical therapist before beginning ANY exercise program!
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don't do any exercise

LMAO :laugh:
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Do nothing but cardio and avoid eating any protein?
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Muscles are sexy.

If you are saying that you need to lose weight, but are limited to exercises that you can do- then you should be consulting with a doctor before going on any sort of plan.

If, however, you are just being a smart *kitten* for the hell of it, I think you are going to be getting your @$$ handed to you.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    This....beat me to it.....same thing I was going to say.
    yeah the whole steroid thing never appealed to me, im a small guy but i have visible gains from just working hard and eating right (not all the time but 80% of the time im eating well)
    look at my DP most of that muscle has been put on in the last 4 weeks!
    i was really scrawny before now work clooeagues are saying that my shoulders are wider and arms are bigger.
    So Steroids are the lazy mans way of getting the muscle fast

My advise is just whey poweder and good old creatine!

lol@ lazy. taking testosterone enhances your ability to recuperate, it doesnt just make them bigger automatically. you have to train 3x as hard. you get bigger faster, but you sure as hell arent "taking the easy way out" by doing it.

Fed govt has peoples view on them so messed up. They are illegal because of baseball and baseball only. should they be allowed in professional sports? no. but one guy taking them isnt hurting somebody else, and nobody is robbing a grandmother to go out and buy some. England was smart enough to realize they dont pose any public health threat whatsoever. I feel like the same people who equate steroids with cheating are the same ones that would have fell for the reefer madness propaganda film from the 50's.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

I think her definition of bulky is different from yours. Her vision of bulky is indeed possible with a well intentioned calorie surplus and heavy lifting for an extended period of time. I know it's hard for you to grasp, but people can do this without the aid of performance enhancing drugs.

OP, at a calorie deficit, you will not gain muscle. However, it would behoove you to maintain what you have.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Thank you briansharpe I won't take any steroids. I was hit by a car so can't do any lifting because of I have a shattered disk in my spine and tendonitis in my right shoulder.

I was run over by an 18 wheeler, ripped my hip out of socket and tangled the tendons and ligaments, broke my ankles, messed up my back terribly and tore out my right shoulder. I had to relearn how to walk and go from coaching highschool track to sitting in front of a leg press machine with 15 pounds on it feeling as though I'd never be a strong healthy beautiful person ever again.

I started with Pilates and last night I was doing a 5x5 lifting session at the gym. My muscles show when I flex them, the rest of the time you can just see a hint of them moving under my skin. Im not shaped like a man. Cause Im not a man.

Losing weight and getting fit arent the same thing. Losing pounds and getting healthy are not the same thing.

There are several factors in getting into shape and cardio and diet are not the only parts. You need cardio, strength training, nutritious eating habits, flexibility, agility, stability, balance, hydration and mental strength. These are the things that make you a beautiful human machine, whether you believe that God gave it to you or you evolved into existence.

To say, yeah I know my body is a machine, but i dont care about it working well and being what it should be cause I will be bulky is a bit close-minded. TO say, I dont want to be strong and have muscles and I just want to do cardio and eat right is like saying- I want to go to college but I only want to take 2 introductory courses and an elective- but I want my full degree.

If you're going to succeed in life, you got own the whole thing, not just the two smallest easiest parts.

Best of luck.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    I love muscles and how I can eat more, move better, stronger bones, better balance, nicer looking *kitten*, confidence, pick up heavy things, wear smaller pants, look great in my clothes and out of them...yeah good luck with the no muscle thing. Life should be grand for you.

skinny people look good with clothes on. fit people look good naked.
  • yoovie
    Options
    ps - your *kitten*, your tits, your tum... unless you want 'em dragging on the floor when you're 50- you better tighten up now.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    how can I avoid gaining muscles?

Don't use them. LOL

Seriously, what is it that you're looking for?
  • Testosterone
    Options

I think her definition of bulky is different from yours. Her vision of bulky is indeed possible with a well intentioned calorie surplus and heavy lifting for an extended period of time. I know it's hard for you to grasp, but people can do this without the aid of performance enhancing drugs.

OP, at a calorie deficit, you will not gain muscle. However, it would behoove you to maintain what you have.

no, it isnt. a woman cannot get the body of a man, period.