muscles no thanks

Options

Replies

• AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to do that?

I'll tell you my story. Briefly.

I was like you. didn't want muscle. Just wanted to be thin and fit. So all I did was cardio.

Then, I bought the first Jillian Michael's video. The Shred. And before I knew it, I could do real push-ups! And things I couldn't do the first day I started the video became easy!

Now, I'm doing all sorts of crazy-*kitten* videos from Bob Harper to Jillian's latest to P90X. And I can see muscle! It's awesome! I'm not bulky - I don't go above 8lbs. But I'm toned. I'm in the best shape of my life, and I finally, FINALLY, love my body!

Muscles are sexy. Trust me.

Especially when you find yourself doing things you've never been able to do. Crazy things. Things other people would think you're crazy to attempt. Things you can't do one day...but 30 days later you CAN. When you discover the POWER of your body. It's an incredible feeling.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    well said yoovie. i myself am recovering from a 12 foot fall onto a concrete floor. it took a while, and in the beginning the pain was excruciating, but i put it out of my mind and pushed on, and now am nearly as strong as i was before i fell, and in some areas a little stronger.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few woman like the first pic. Female bodybuilding is becoming more and more popular. Personally Im not into it, and I'd rather be like the girl in the 2nd picture!
    I have to disagree here. Female bodybuilding is on the decline. Bikini, Figure and Fitness competitions are definitely overtaking female bodybuilding.
    When Rachel McLish, Kiki Elomaa, Diana Dennis, etc. did it back in the 80's it was cool because they still looked feminine, but todays female bodybuilders look and sound like males. Here's a pic of Rachel McLish in her prime.

photo13.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Rachel McLish is my hero...in fact i just dug out her book Perfect Parts and did the hip/buttock routine this week.:heart:
  • Testosterone
    Options
    Fitness is supposed to hurt. If it doesnt hurt, you arent pushing yourself.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    well said yoovie. i myself am recovering from a 12 foot fall onto a concrete floor. it took a while, and in the beginning the pain was excruciating, but i put it out of my mind and pushed on, and now am nearly as strong as i was before i fell, and in some areas a little stronger.

I feel so much stronger since my accident than I had been before. I didnt really lift anything before, at least not anything involving my upper body. But having had the chance taken away from me, and then stealing it back... Im not ever going to take my body, health or life for granted ever again.

cheers to us!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have to question why anybody would respond to this post. Its just stupid.
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've been told that having a little muscle is important as one ages because it will support overall bone health too.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want muscle? Having muscle helps you stay strong, fit, and have a higher metabolism than you would without. You're never going to look bulky without some serious intentional effort. I'd rather not be weak and atrophied when I get to my goal.

*never look bulky ever, shes a woman. its not possible, without needles.

I think her definition of bulky is different from yours. Her vision of bulky is indeed possible with a well intentioned calorie surplus and heavy lifting for an extended period of time. I know it's hard for you to grasp, but people can do this without the aid of performance enhancing drugs.

OP, at a calorie deficit, you will not gain muscle. However, it would behoove you to maintain what you have.

no, it isnt. a woman cannot get the body of a man, period.

I didn't say she would get the body of a man. The word bulky is subjective.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

because some people want to help and see others succeed and some people think that's stupid.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    I've been told that having a little muscle is important as one ages because it will support overall bone health too.

stronger people live longer, and not just because they can move the refrigerator that fell on them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    how can I avoid gaining muscles?

do any exercise and eat at a deficit.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    Why would you not want muscle? Having muscle helps you stay strong, fit, and have a higher metabolism than you would without. You're never going to look bulky without some serious intentional effort. I'd rather not be weak and atrophied when I get to my goal.

*never look bulky ever, shes a woman. its not possible, without needles.

I think her definition of bulky is different from yours. Her vision of bulky is indeed possible with a well intentioned calorie surplus and heavy lifting for an extended period of time. I know it's hard for you to grasp, but people can do this without the aid of performance enhancing drugs.

OP, at a calorie deficit, you will not gain muscle. However, it would behoove you to maintain what you have.

no, it isnt. a woman cannot get the body of a man, period.

I didn't say she would get the body of a man. The word bulky is subjective.

no, it isnt. there is no such thing as a bulky woman if they arent taking steroids.
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    why would you not want any muscles....?
    Weird
  • Testosterone
    Options

I feel so much stronger since my accident than I had been before. I didnt really lift anything before, at least not anything involving my upper body. But having had the chance taken away from me, and then stealing it back... Im not ever going to take my body, health or life for granted ever again.

cheers to us!

i was never more depressed in my life than the 18 months i was bed ridden, and have never been happier now that I got it back and have a son in my life.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why people who "like muscles" have to be so mean when someone says they don't want that. When I was 22 I never did strength training. In fact, I didn't really exercise much at all, other than what life through at me. And I was firm, had plenty of energy and rocked my bikini. Youth is like that.

Some of you might use those muscles to climb down off your high horse.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise and don't eat well. That should lead some to some awesome muscle atrophy.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Dear every woman who ever fought for her life, her freedom, her rights, her equality... chicks wanna be weak now. Hope you're proud ;)

Yes, my ultimate goal is to sit around and wait for my body to atrophy. Really there is nothing in this world I want more than to not even have the strength to wash my own hair, but all this food and activity keeps getting in the way.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    That top pic is scaring the children.

Me too :frown:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

because some people want to help and see others succeed and some people think that's stupid.

Believe me, I have always been here to help but the question "how can I avoid gaining muscles?" doesn't warrant an intelligent response. There is nothing behind it. It sounds like somebody looking for trouble. Sorry.
  • Testosterone
    Options