Any low Carbers out there?

Options

Replies

• KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    or maybe you have brain damage from the dye used to color your hair PURPLE!??!!!
    No. And personally I dont think anyone should completely reduce/cut out a portion of their diet. Just stick within your calorie goals and try and switch up things to healthier choices. I still eat bread/tortillas/wraps most days and haven't dropped dead or stopped losing weight.

Not sure I'm comfortable with the tone of judgement this post reeks of (and complete ignorant insensitivity). Low carb diets (apart from being a very effective fat loss tool) can be necessitated by many medical conditions too.

Currently in a keto cutting cycle. Going great. Feeling great. Loving cheese.

Do you feel better about yourself now that you've made someone else "look bad"?

Okay, let me amend what I said to please some anonymous person. I dont think people should cut something completely out of their diet unless supervised by a professional. DERP

"Made someone else look bad"? You made YOURSELF look bad, and were called out on your actions. Own up.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I have lived LC in the past, and it works for a lot of people! I'm trying something different right now - but wish you the best of luck in your LC journey! There are a ton of nice people on here, LCers and nonLCers. As for the ones who are judgemental and/or try to bash you or the LC way - Ignore the jerks....

I still don't understand how telling people to not completely cut something out of their diet makes me the bad guy? I think most people will agree that you should eat everything in moderation.

I think y'all have brain damage from not treating yourself to a bagel.
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    awww my daughter's nickname is monkey too :D
    No. And personally I dont think anyone should completely reduce/cut out a portion of their diet. Just stick within your calorie goals and try and switch up things to healthier choices. I still eat bread/tortillas/wraps most days and haven't dropped dead or stopped losing weight.

Not sure I'm comfortable with the tone of judgement this post reeks of (and complete ignorant insensitivity). Low carb diets (apart from being a very effective fat loss tool) can be necessitated by many medical conditions too.

Okay, let me amend what I said to please some anonymous person. I dont think people should cut something completely out of their diet unless supervised by a professional. DERP

"Made someone else look bad"? You made YOURSELF look bad, and were called out on your actions. Own up.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I have lived LC in the past, and it works for a lot of people! I'm trying something different right now - but wish you the best of luck in your LC journey! There are a ton of nice people on here, LCers and nonLCers. As for the ones who are judgemental and/or try to bash you or the LC way - Ignore the jerks....

I still don't understand how telling people to not completely cut something out of their diet makes me the bad guy? I think most people will agree that you should eat everything in moderation.

That sweet munky in my ticker has brain damage and if low carbing makes us more like him (full of joy despite his circumstances, unconditionally loving and forgiving and always up for dancing)...well that's just one more reason I think we've made the right choice.

Thanks for going there though. Makes these boards a much more pleasant place to be.
  • MissGND
    MissGND Posts: 11
    Options
    I do my best to keep as low of a carb count as possible. I am diabetic and carbs, especially the wrong kind, can be devastating to my health.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a lower carb, higher protein diet because that is what works for me. I don't think I follow any set plan or diet, I've just cut out potatoes and rice and pasta and replaced them with spaghetti squash. I still allow myself some bread or tortilla wraps, but I tend to only eat those early in the day.
  • Shmemily001
    Shmemily001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm going low carb, but only because I am doing a lot of weight training during my exercise routine each day, and I want to make sure I have enough protein to build muscle. I am also doing low carb because I find that carbs make me feel more hungry during the day. If I stick to mostly protein and fats, I can maintain my calorie count without much effort.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Hi guys
    I am not new to MFP by any stretch and adore the friends I have made on here. However, I only know one lady who is doing low carb. Are any of you lovely folks trying to reduce your carb intake or following a more ridgid no carb diet?
    It would be lovely to hear from you, please feel free to add me with a little message.
    Good luck with your weight and fitness journey, I look forwards to sharing it with you.
    Lotte
    Hi, I'm a ketogenic / low carber. I try to stay under 20 g of carbs per day. You can certainly add me!My diary is open to my friends. I would love to have more low carb friends for support. I love having people that I can share recipes and food ideas with. Low Carb haters really pi$$ me off too! Most of the LC haters are completely uneducated about insulin resistance.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    I am not new to MFP by any stretch and adore the friends I have made on here. However, I only know one lady who is doing low carb. Are any of you lovely folks trying to reduce your carb intake or following a more ridgid no carb diet?
    It would be lovely to hear from you, please feel free to add me with a little message.
    Good luck with your weight and fitness journey, I look forwards to sharing it with you.
    Lotte

Carbs alone don't make you fat. Overeating, sugars, salt, bad processed foods, etc all contribute. So cutting out carbs alone isn't going to work long term.
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber...specifically doing Keto and sticking to under 20 g of carbs a day. Most days less. Feel free to add me.
  • amyunplugged
    amyunplugged Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try to stay between 70-100 carbs per day on 1400-1500 calorie diet. Went clean, then partial paleo, just to feel better. Cutting out processed foods (for the most part, I'm not totally deprived but they are not staples in my diet!) was the key to being lean for me. I was skinny fat before at 155-158, 5'11 and now I have muscle tone with less time spent working out, tho not less effort (HIIT, bodyrock, Jillian) at 140lbs. I've found that I no longer eat as much as I used to, fewer cravings, have a hard time hitting my calorie intake. I cheat some on the weekends and can definitely tell the difference in my energy, digestion, and cravings afterwards. For me, cutting processed was the best lifestyle choice I've made in years, and it certainly helps cut those carbs.

Anyway, add me is what I'm saying. lol
  • nabauer86
    nabauer86 Posts: 39
    Options
    or maybe you have brain damage from the dye used to color your hair PURPLE!??!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Let's not go attacking people's appearances here. My hair is dyed pink and I'm a low carber. From what I know, I don't suffer from brain damage lol.

Just ignore the uninformed girl and provide the OP with support like she originally asked.
  • superstankazz
    Options

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

^^You are completely uneducated on the subject of LC eating and body chemistry. You obviously have NO clue about insulin resistance! Why are even commenting on this thread if you hate low carb eating so much and telling people to eat bagels?
  • RAINYBROOKS26
    Options

Everybody has their own methods. What works for us, works for us... I haven't dropped dead either. Just sayin' :)

i haven't dropped dead either, i was advised by a doctor to limit carbs for weightloss. my 1st week i lost 8 lbs.if it works dont knock it.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done it on and off for several years. Been pretty strict with it the past couple of months.
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    I sent her a message and friend request :) and I've had my hair many different colors in my younger years :)

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Let's not go attacking people's appearances here. My hair is dyed pink and I'm a low carber. From what I know, I don't suffer from brain damage lol.

Just ignore the uninformed girl and provide the OP with support like she originally asked.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Limiting something isnt completely cutting it out.
    however we DO cut out breads, grains and pastas, all food which cause insulin spikes and immediately turn your body into fat storing mode. our diet keeps us in constant fat BURNING mode, while sparing our muscles at the same time.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

By your logic, the solution to alcoholism is to simply drink in moderation, right?

Contrary to YOUR belief, there are many people who cannot tolerate high carb diets! Eating high-carb foods actually causes them to get MORE hungry, and doesn't satiate them. Similar to how drinking alcohol causes an alcoholic to crave more alcohol than just abstaining from it.

So you shouldn't knock it if you don't understand how it helps people. Read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" before judging this type of diet.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Carbs alone don't make you fat. Overeating, sugars, salt, bad processed foods, etc all contribute. So cutting out carbs alone isn't going to work long term.

Sugar, refined grains, and other processed foods (most of which are high-carb) *are* the primary driver of fat gain. These foods have few or no vitamins, and regular consumption in significant amounts causes (for many people) chronically elevated insulin levels, which cause fat to be stored and not released when the body needs it. The body then craves more carbs since it can't get to its stored fat easily. Non-starchy vegetables and low-sugar fruit don't elicit the same insulin response, nor do protein and fat.

Salt doesn't make you fat. Retained water is not fat.

Cutting out "empty" carbs alone can and does work long-term.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options

By your logic, the solution to alcoholism is to simply drink in moderation, right?

Contrary to YOUR belief, there are many people who cannot tolerate high carb diets! Eating high-carb foods actually causes them to get MORE hungry, and doesn't satiate them. Similar to how drinking alcohol causes an alcoholic to crave more alcohol than just abstaining from it.

So you shouldn't knock it if you don't understand how it helps people. Read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" before judging this type of diet.

Indeed! ^^^^^

There is compelling evidence that sugar, especially refined or processed, stimulates the same area of the brain as cocaine. This was demonstrated on 60 Minutes about 2 or 3 weeks ago with Dr. Sonjay Gupta. In my opinion, that just confirmed what I always believed, that sugar is a drug or has drug like effects. I had only to look at my own behavior to arrive at at that hypothesis.

I also believe this doesn't bode well for society when the food pyramid base is grains and a great deal of foods in the grocery stores are grain based, and if the last 3 decades of low fat craze and sky rocketing obesity is any indication.
  • Amethyst125
    Amethyst125 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes new to MFP and have been low carbing but do include fruit and lots of vegetables. This seems to work for me. I think any type of food plan needs to be adjusted to each individual. As an RN I think a healthy approach that works for you is what you should follow. :smile:
  • superstankazz
    Options

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

^^^Would you give this same advice to vegetarians? Afterall, they are completely cutting a food group from their diets also. Would you feel as comfortable bashing on a vegan thread? Would tell a vegan to their face that they need to eat meat in moderation? Didn't think so!