What is the longest that you have driven

Options
TylerJ76
TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
in one day?

I have a 900 mile trip coming up that I am planning on doing in one day.

Replies

• steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    900 is doable. I live in VERY upstate NY. Think Canada, not NYC....LOL! We drive to Myrtle Beach, SC in one day. It's about 850 miles....takes about 15 hours with stops for the kiddos.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    900 is doable. I live in VERY upstate NY. Think Canada, not NYC....LOL! We drive to Myrtle Beach, SC in one day. It's about 850 miles....takes about 15 hours with stops for the kiddos.

I figured it was doable. I will be doing it by myself, so stops will be at a minimum.
    Going to leave around 3am...hopefully to my destination around 5.
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Houston TX to San Diego CA. straight thru. but had somebody to drive with me so we would switch on off.
    Orlando FL to Detroit. by myself. with a 2yo and a cat in the car. can't say i'd ever do that again.

Best thing you can do is get some good music, plan out your rest stops, gas stations etc. And pull over if you're tired. Not worth the risk.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I drove from Chicago, Illinois to Camp Pendleton, California in 1973. Only stopping for gas. Approximately 2,000 miles. On a motorcycle. Right after I made bail.
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    From Houston, Tx to Colombus, Ohio.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I drove from Chicago, Illinois to Camp Pendleton, California in 1973. Only stopping for gas. Approximately 2,000 miles. On a motorcycle. Right after I made bail.

This may be my new favorite MFP post! :drinker:
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Anchorage, Alaska to Indiana. But will confess to having a driving partner to trade off shifts. Was loads of fun too. But the Al-can is scary :noway:

ETA: Ooooops. Just caught the "in one day" part. Can't recall how many miles was done in one day...approx 650 I guess
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    San Diego, California to Everett, Washington in 26 hours straight.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    We drive to CT every year from GA. We do it in a day. A very long day!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Pulled a trailer from Brownsville TX to Apex NC (top speed 65)
    1,516 miles.

took an hour nap at a rest area in Alabama
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    1300 miles from Iowa to South Carolina - 22 hours only stopping for gas and food. It was horrible and I vowed to never again drive that long without stopping and sleeping.
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wow - all your replies make mine not even worth posting!

Longest I've done is from South London to Manchester, that was only 4.5 hours (roughly 220 miles)

Pah!

I long to do a USA road trip
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    great music will push it! haha

I drove from Atlanta, GA to North Jersey straight. About 14 hours -- not too shabby.
    About 850 miles

Might be driving from NJ to colorado soon - should be fun
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    21 hrs.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Drove to and from Burlington, Vermont in a single day. Some 850 miles total.
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options

This is awesome.. I made that drive but to 29palms only stopping for gas...minus the trip to jail.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    15 hours from Baltimore to IN. It was in the summer, and we saw multiple huge storms (like 5) in a day. It was the craziest drive I've ever taken. Followed by a lot of alcohol. (too much, but that's another thread!) Good luck! :smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The longest I've been the driver by myself was from Baltimore, MD to bfe Maine (just under 600 miles). I had company in the car.

The longest I've swapped out and went straight through was Charlotte, NC to Bradenton, FL (just over 600 miles).
  • MzLisa25
    MzLisa25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Southern New Jersey to Niagra Falls, Canada with seven 14-year old girl scouts. Took 11 hours with 2 stops. Not sure of the milage.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    If you are doing your trip during a work day make sure you time your drive to NOT go through major cities while during their rush hour. 900 is doable with good music and stretching breaks every 2-3 hours. Get out of that vehicle and walk around for awhile and get some fresh air.