What is the longest that you have driven

Options

Replies

• WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A few years ago i drove from Orlando FL to Reading PA, in two and a half days. The first day we drove from 8 am till 10 pm with stops only to grab a bite to eat and pee. the second day was more of the same, but we started out at 5 am and drove till 10 pm. by then i could not see straight. I was the only driver, I was about 50 at the time - but had two other adults (witout drivers licenses or training) with me. Oh, yeah and i was driving a rented 21 foot Penske van, with a guvn'r on at 65 mph. that was one long and stressful ride. we listened to books on CD though, and went through about 5 Sherlock Holmes books and many music CDs too. Listening to books keeps me awake better than music. Good luck, enjoy the scenery, spring is so pretty.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Very do-able! I drove from northern Ohio to Memphis Tenn. in 11 hrs. then ate some tastey BBQ and went golfing for 4 hours!
  • almostfortysix
    Options
    Several times we drove from Delray Beach Fl. to Holcombe WI without stopping. Then we moved to Maine and drove from Central Maine to Holcombe WI without stopping. From Deray it's between 28 and 30 hours depending on traffic and from Maine it's between 20 and 22. I NO longer will drive it straight through.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure

My partner tells me I drive her around the bend all the time, I reckon thats pretty far
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Pittsburgh PA - Orland/St. Cloud Flordia. Stop only for gas and car got great MPG. Made it in 13 hours. Not telling how fast was the average. Lets just say glad for the truckers out there. Was a family ER.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I do a 300 mil drive at least 4 times a year now for moving to/from school in the Fall/Summer.
    I'll be doing that fun drive in 2 days!
    Best part is I'm just going from Jacksonville to Boca Raton. Gotta love how long Florida is!
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    About 820 miles from Lincoln, NE to Columbus, OH
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it. I drove from Chicago to Mssoula, MT: 24 hours, 1700 miles
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    12 hours from Va to FL when our daughter lived down there. Had to go see the grandson. We would leave after work and drive 4-5 hours and the rest the next day so we got there in the afternoon but we would do the whole thing on the way back. The last time we did it with our dog so a few more stops along the way but still doable.

When I was younger... 20's,30's... I loved to drive. I especially loved to drive at night. Now I'm older and my eyesight isn't what it use to be so night driving isn't as much fun. Double check when you might hit rush hour in some places.... nothing worse than getting stuck in morning or evening commute when you could have avoided it. Down load some traffic apps for your phone. In some states you can call 511 for traffic updates.

Roadtrips are fun. Pack a cooler. Cut up a ton of veggies and make some healthy snacks. Grab some protein bars, almonds, etc. For me road trips were always about junk food, sugar, etc. So I have to be prepared or I'm in the gas station picking up horrible things! hehehe
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Texas to Oregon. In total it took 34 hours and was ~1950 miles. We drove straight through.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Best thing you can do is get some good music, plan out your rest stops, gas stations etc. And pull over if you're tired. Not worth the risk.

^^THIS
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Not too long. But, took the super long route from Ontario to West Virginia and it was about an 11 hour drive. I did all the driving, and no naps! :P
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I drove from Washington, DC to Boise, Idaho in 36 hours without sleeping. Technically that was a day for me.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Almost 1,200 miles - Overnight 14 hours straight from Dallas, TX to Rocky Mt. NC. Fueled by Diet Coke & cigarettes in my brand new Eclipse. My fairly useless companion then took over and drove us the remaining 150 miles to the beach.
  • MBuckler3
    MBuckler3 Posts: 22
    Options
    Non stop (except bathroom breaks) from Milwaukee, WI to Orlando, FL. 1,250 miles and 21 hours. Once the fatigue sets in it gets REALLY FUN!!! :yawn:
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure

My partner tells me I drive her around the bend all the time, I reckon thats pretty far
    LOL!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Lansing Michigan to Washington, D.C. I think we stopped twice. Took about 10 hours to go about 600 miles
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is not a "manly thing" to drive too far without resting... It is a stupid thing... I say that to say... take plenty of breaks and enjoy the trip. It is better to get there a little later than to arrive via the morgue... or hurt somebody else in the process.... Hope you have a great trip!
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    My record is driving from Portland to New York City (3000 miles) in 3 days. You can drive 900 miles in one day, but you need to get up really, REALLY early and bring lots and LOTS of coffee. Get a big fat thermos. Take cat naps. Pull over and sleep for 15 minutes when you get too tired to drive.
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    1133 miles!