Kashi cereal....beware.

Options

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to avoid carcinogens. I don't even bother. They're in black pepper and nutmeg too. Just don't sniff it in mass quantities and you'll be fine.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Well their marketing department says its healthy and good for you and natural so it must be true!!!!!!! Uh duh that's what happens when you blindly follow the herd.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It is the Kashi cereals the ones that have GMO ingredients.

I haven't found anything about their bars yet. I am pretty careful when reading labels and look for those that might have GMO ingredients. If it doens't say non - gmo, i stay away from it. Now I am going to research the granola bars.

You can also choose organic. Certified organic foods cannot contain GMOs.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Beware what you read on Facebook should be the warning here...
    That story is old...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Great, I just read the ingredients in my granola bar and it lists soy isolate. Going back to Costco. I'm not sure how I missed that soy isolate in the ingredient list. As a rule I don't buy anything soy or corn that doesn't state that is Non GMO.

Stop buying crap at costco. That'll help.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    haha I thought you were going to be warning about the cereal's flatulent effects. That's the real danger!!

I can't eat the stuff-I was lethal!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    It is the Kashi cereals the ones that have GMO ingredients.

I haven't found anything about their bars yet. I am pretty careful when reading labels and look for those that might have GMO ingredients. If it doens't say non - gmo, i stay away from it. Now I am going to research the granola bars.

You can also choose organic. Certified organic foods cannot contain GMOs.

Yes, I also go for organic to avoid gmo. Can't remember if there any organic bars I have tried.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Great, I just read the ingredients in my granola bar and it lists soy isolate. Going back to Costco. I'm not sure how I missed that soy isolate in the ingredient list. As a rule I don't buy anything soy or corn that doesn't state that is Non GMO.

It's going to be somewhat tough, the FDA does not require companies to list GMO on the labels yet.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    OH NO run for the hills, Kashi has the same stuff most of the stuff you put in your body can have... I hope no one on here freaking about the cereal likes to grills their meats or veggies...
  • keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Beware what you read on Facebook should be the warning here...
    That story is old...
    I love snarky people. Sorry you already knew ...
  • MariaMariaM
    Options

If you don't buy at Costco, then you don't know what they sell and what you are talking about. I buy only natural and try to buy organic when possible. I buy a huge part of my organic products at Costco. Costco has the usual crap people like to buy but they also have a very good selection of "100% Natural and Organic Products"
  • MariaMariaM
    Options

It's going to be somewhat tough, the FDA does not require companies to list GMO on the labels yet.

Some products I buy at my local green store that are not organic do label if they are using non-gmo. I guess I am sheep because I tend to believe it. Specially since this green store doesn't support gmo companies. I guess when in doubt, buy organic.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Surely the problem here is NOT that is is GMO - it is the fact there are traces of pesticides? Which can surely be an issue regardless of GMO status or not...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    haha I thought you were going to be warning about the cereal's flatulent effects. That's the real danger!!

Which one's did you try? The Go Lean (original) , the Harvest Wheat Cinnamon, and the Warm Cinnamon Oats do not have chikory or inulin (like some of the Fiber One flavors) .... Chickory ......phew!
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, some of us don't have many choices. My only choices are Walmart or starving...
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I have never really trusted "USDA Organic"
    To much politics for food makes me mad.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Which one's did you try? The Go Lean (original) , the Harvest Wheat Cinnamon, and the Warm Cinnamon Oats do not have chikory or inulin (like some of the Fiber One flavors) .... Chickory ......phew!

Yea, I can't eat them because of the chicory. On top of the gas it also causes severe stomach cramping. No thank you!
  • apache2
    apache2 Posts: 1
    Options
    This comes off their web site....just saying!

Kashi and the NON-GMO Project Gmo_statement

We’re excited to share an update on our work with the Non-GMO Project, North America’s only third-party verifier of non-GMO foods. Seven of our foods are now officially Non-GMO Project Verified including Autumn Wheat, Cinnamon Harvest, Island Vanilla, Strawberry Fields, 7 Whole Grain Flakes, 7 Whole Grain Puffs and 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. This is the first step in our phased approach, and we're committed to this journey! Check out our product pages at Kashi.com or search for Kashi at www.nongmoproject.org for updates as we continue to verify our foods.
  • klkelley
    klkelley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I read the same in a health magazine email.