Kashi cereal....beware.

Options

Replies

• jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    guess I should go back to eating coca puffs then.......
  • Rebels57
    Rebels57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just grand.

I've been eating the Kashi Toasted Berry Crumble for over a year 3-5 times per week.
  • klkelley
    klkelley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I read the same in a health magazine email.

It was Rodale.com and the article is "11 scams in the cereal aisle".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mildly off topic but I generally avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. So when I first found Kashi I was like "Yay!!". Then realized that brown rice syrup is probably pretty similar. Was really disappointed. So now you have my random reminiscence for the day.

Brown rice syrup actually isn't anything like high fructose corn syrup. But it has been found to have high levels of arsenic.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    Oh no!
    I'm going to die.

Quoted for truth.

It's not the end of the world. Do I like the idea of GMOs? No. Am I ever going to be able to eat/bathe/be around things that aren't modified in some ways? No. So I don't let it consume my life.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Isn't the examiner a tabloid?
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "We’re excited to share an update on our work with the Non-GMO Project, North America’s only third-party verifier of non-GMO foods. Seven of our foods are now officially Non-GMO Project Verified including Autumn Wheat, Cinnamon Harvest, Island Vanilla, Strawberry Fields, 7 Whole Grain Flakes, 7 Whole Grain Puffs and 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. This is the first step in our phased approach, and we're committed to this journey! Check out our product pages at Kashi.com or search for Kashi at www.nongmoproject.org for updates as we continue to verify our foods."

Continue reading on Examiner.com Kashi Cereal in hot water over genetically modified controversy - Los Angeles Women's Health | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/article/kashi-cereal-hot-water-over-genetically-modified-controversy#ixzz1syt5SJly

above posted from Examiner.com (see url)

Cinnamon Harvest - my fave. Though I'm not sure they can put these labels on my tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celery, corn, green beans, lettuce, bananas, oranges, cauliflower, broccoli, strawberries, grapes, plums, pears, pineaples, watermelon... Oh, heck all my fresh fruits & veggies.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yeah....if you've read their ingredient label since the beginning of time you could have saved yourself the trouble. Everything is clearly listed. All Kashi is is Kellogs under a different label people.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is a carcinogen in everything. You honestly can't avoid it unless you grow your own food and raise your own animals, and even that case isn't 100%.
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options

Thanks for the link, up until 3 months ago I was a Kashi freak. I was diagnosed prediabetic and they made my blood sugars spike but I will not buy any more until they resolve this.
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's a news flash for anyone who consumes soy products. Practically all of the soy grown in North America is Monsanto Roundup Resistant - a GMO. (personally I'm not convinced that GMO products are dangerous even though I've been meaning to see the Dr about the superfluous ear growing on my forehead.....:laugh: )

Personally I'd be more worried about food products coming from PRC (cadmium tainted rice etc)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Oh no!
    I'm going to die.

Quoted for truth.

It's not the end of the world. Do I like the idea of GMOs? No. Am I ever going to be able to eat/bathe/be around things that aren't modified in some ways? No. So I don't let it consume my life.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
    Unless you live on a commune on an isolated island that's completely self-sustaining, you don't know what's going into your body...and even then...
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Excellent link, thank you. I avoid ALL soy (most genetically modified crop in the world) and corn. Hard to avoid it entirely as it is fed to livestock, so if you like eggs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, milk, cheese, whey protein, etc., well, I think you get the idea...

I try my best to avoid the stuff I know about, and cross my fingers about the rest of it.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Mildly off topic but I generally avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. So when I first found Kashi I was like "Yay!!". Then realized that brown rice syrup is probably pretty similar. Was really disappointed. So now you have my random reminiscence for the day.

Brown rice syrup actually isn't anything like high fructose corn syrup. But it has been found to have high levels of arsenic.

I guess I stereotype anything with the word "syrup" in it. Except maple. . .yummmmmm . . .anyway I watched a documentary on high fructose corn syrup called King Corn and it just made me sick. It has no value and it's in everything! I am prone to exaggeration, fyi.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    Oh no!
    I'm going to die.

Quoted for truth.

Unless you live on a commune on an isolated island that's completely self-sustaining, you don't know what's going into your body...and even then...

Agreed. Though if anyone does own an island they want to loan me (preferably somewhere nice and warm) I'd be more than happy to start a non-GMO based community.
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    just great , My Parfaits will never be the same!
  • ronninator
    ronninator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dammit. Toasted Berry Crumble is the only cold cereal I eat.
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    haha I thought you were going to be warning about the cereal's flatulent effects. That's the real danger!!

I can't eat the stuff-I was lethal!

Which one's did you try? The Go Lean (original) , the Harvest Wheat Cinnamon, and the Warm Cinnamon Oats do not have chikory or inulin (like some of the Fiber One flavors) .... Chickory ......phew!

Yea, I can't eat them because of the chicory. On top of the gas it also causes severe stomach cramping. No thank you!

The Go Lean (original) , the Harvest Wheat Cinnamon, and the Warm Cinnamon Oats varieties DO NOT HAVE chicory. Maybe some others do ...... I have not tried ANY yet that have chicory. Which ones have chicory?

I look at labels now because Fiber ONE 80 and Fiber One bars DO have chicory (inulin ....same thing).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Oh no!
    I'm going to die.

Quoted for truth.

I go through 3 boxes of Kashi GoLean Crunch Almond with Flax a week...... Grr!! and I will still be going through 3 boxes next week..... LOL.... Trust me at 560 lbs. 34 months ago with Full blown diabetes and all the other health issues I had, and eating 7000+ calories a week if this is all I have to worry about (trace amount of pesticides) now well lets just say I am not going to lose alot of sleep over it...... If we knew even half the crap in the food (the government doesn't require on the label) we eat that wasn't grown in our own backyards, we would probably have to starve to death.... To each there own though..... I will take my chances....