would you tattoo....?

Options

Replies

• KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    to those afraid of getting a lover's name tattooed on u...i would say you're afraid of committment

I've been married 16 years, 2 years dating before that.. I'm not afraid of commitment, I'm a realist in that I recognize that not everything is permanent, and that includes the people in ones life.

I'd never tattoo my spouse/SO but my children yes. And I do like the symbol idea as opposed to the name.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do a name... but would do a symbol....I have done a symbol before and while I did cover it after the divorce... no one would be the wiser unless you told them if it's just a symbol...
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I would have to disagree with that iam_

I have been in a relationship with my love going on 12 years now......we both have quite a few tats, and we would never get our names on each other......You can't predict the future.....and the only person you know you are going to be with forever, is yourself....

Actually, I can predict the future.
    Well, my apologies then sir! I must say that is quite a talent you have♥
    He knew you'd say that. :laugh:

Drat! Giggle
  • changeofideas
    Options
    if you're in love, they're already permanently in your life anyway. my husband has an A incorporated into his tattoo for my name. and I have music notes d and a on me, for our names. if he were to ever leave me, he'd still have already impacted my life anyway, i'd have to deal with the scars on my body and on my heart! or just cover the physical scars up with more tattoos!! =]
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Never tattoo a lovers name...

Children..ok..

but never a partner..

I very much disagree. Even if it were to go bad, its still a great story and can always be modified. FOr me I dont have to worry abotu that
    I would disagree. I was with my ex for almost 8 years, engaged, bought a house together, basically the love of my life and thought I would be with him forever. He broke my heart and I can't live with anything that reminds me of him. If his name were on me, I would probably have carved it away.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would absolutley get my husbands name tattoo'd on me. I'm actually thinking of getting a tree with my maiden name written in the roots, his name in the trunk, and our children (when we have more) in the branches.

I find it funny that people getting married which is meant to be forever, yet they think a forever tattoo is a bad idea... Maybe they shouldn't be married then? ;) Just my opinion!
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

I have been in a relationship with my love going on 12 years now......we both have quite a few tats, and we would never get our names on each other......You can't predict the future.....and the only person you know you are going to be with forever, is yourself....

Drat! Giggle

I knew that he knew that he would post that "he knew you'd say that"
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I have matching tattoo on the insides of our wrists.. but my husband and I both agree .. that our names wont be sported on each others bodies.. its not a lack of commitment.. like everyone has stated before you just cant predict what may happen.. and because of that and my experience with people having names and then wanting them covered up I choose to get everything but.. ;)
  • finallyFIT_ForMe
    Options
    I got my boyfriend's name tattooed on me then we married, was married 10 years, then divorced. It took 2 hours in a tattoo shop to have his name covered and it was way more painful than the original tattoo since they had to go over it many many times to cover the old tattoo. Other than my own child, I will never again have a name tattooed on me and I strongly advise against it. No matter how much you love this person now it could change. I wont get into the details of my situation but before I had my tattoo covered I hated looking at it and it was a daily reminder of the more than 10 years I wasted; a reminder I could have done without.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options

Drat! Giggle

I knew that he knew that he would post that "he knew you'd say that"

Oh Pixies, this is quite the debacle that we have gotten into here....
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I learned this lesson the hard way. Do not ever do it! That said, I do have my daughter's name and matching tattoos with both my Mom and my Dad.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    to those afraid of getting a lover's name tattooed on u...i would say you're afraid of committment

I dont thinks its so much that people are afraid of committment just that they dont have a crystal ball to look into to know they will be with that person forever. I love tattoos and have a bunch myself but I would never do a S/O name. My Dad got my moms name on his arm with his name and mine and my brothers, about 3-4 years later they got divorced and he was so upset that he ever got it. Wound up gettng a half sleeve just to cover the original up. A tattoo is something that will always be on you and if worse case scenario you broke up, you have to be okay with looking at that tattoo and having it on you.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who gets all his girlfriends names tattooed on him and has about 7 of them, the new girls name is there but all the others have a cross out line through them lol

Ewww... I would never even date a man like that!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who gets all his girlfriends names tattooed on him and has about 7 of them, the new girls name is there but all the others have a cross out line through them lol

Ewww... I would never even date a man like that!

I think that's hilarious.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Options
    I want to get tats representing my 3 kids... I'm considering something for my step kids as well, but I haven't decided yet. All my kids can be drawn, but my step kids names can't. I never even thought about doing one for my hubby... maybe I should get that one first? :)
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Options
    No because in the future if I ever need to evade the police I don't want any marks of identification.

HAHA!!
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't but funny thing is My husband tattooed my name on his ring finger symbolizing a wedding ring. At first, I was like "really?", but then once I seen it I thought it was sweet. He said if I ever left him he would just tattoo "*kitten** right above my name.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I would totally go for the symbol instead of a name, because I would never consider getting an SO's name, even if we were married; it's just not a personal connection. A name is a name, connected with thousands (even millions) of other people around the world, and that doesn't mean anything to me, and doesn't have any connection or reverberation with my own sense of self.

Actually, I almost see SOs' names on other people as a way of being marked for territory, like a dog pees on a bush. It's like you're a walking advertisement that you're their property or something..

What I would get, even with someone with whom I wasn't planning on marrying, is a symbol for them and their connection with my life. Like I wanted (and still want) to get a wolf tattoo, because it reminds me of my ex, and the very positive impact that he had on my life. (There is a story behind that, but it's a bit long for here, and I don't feel like sharing.) Even if we aren't together, that tattoo symbolizes our shared experience, one that I still look back and respect today, even after we've moved on. I would not feel that way about a name.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have my wifes' astrological signed and my kids, one above the other. They are also done in the colours to represent their astrological elements - Fire and Water.
  • Ruffles20
    Ruffles20 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I have.