Preparing for the Zombie Apocolypse

Options
Avalonis
Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
Or really, any major disaster where you would need to survive without typical support networks (Such as when Katrina hit, or the Earthquakes in Japan)

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I have begun prepping a so called "Bug out bag". Basically, its a supply bag full of all the essentials you would need to survive for a time while on the hike. (Essentially its a multi-night backpackers pack) Better to be ready than needing it when you don't have it, right?

The thought is that if I ever needed to get out of Seattle because of a major disaster, I could grab my gun and bag and start walking.

Yea, I'm weird ;)

But its practical as well, because I am starting to get into multinight backpacking as well.

And damnitt, when those zombies come, I want to be ready!

Anyone else made a bug out bag?

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Not really, but my father has about 200 jugs of water stored up in the crawl space of my parents' house.

Does that count?
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Not really, but my father has about 200 jugs of water stored up in the crawl space of my parents' house.

Does that count?

My parents too. But they're left overs from the whole Y2K thing.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm not that prepared but why do you think I started running? I need the stamina to out run the mofos!
  • EndofEternity
    Options
    Nah, I'd rather die in that environment. Zombies need nutrients too. Let them feast on my bloated body.

I see no point in taking extraordinary precautions. Perhaps I'm just careless or underestimate myself. I just see myself using up all of my supplies in no time and then being SOL because I'm useless as far as tools and the outdoors go.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Does that count?

Sister? Is that you?
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

Does that count?

Sister? Is that you?

:P
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think about it..."what would I do if..."

But since I live in Quebec, I have all I need to survive: snow. I'm sure zombies don't like snow. Or I'm sure they don't like snow shovel on their face.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah. There are some cities that have their emergency management teams work with zombie survivalist clubs to plan out response to a pandemic. Even the CDC has a zombie team because it draws more people into disaster preparation. Never a bad idea to be prepared.

And I'm hearing reports of more "mad cow disease" in California - obvious code for a new zombie outbreak. Be vigilant, people!
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    Hell yeah. There are some cities that have their emergency management teams work with zombie survivalist clubs to plan out response to a pandemic. Even the CDC has a zombie team because it draws more people into disaster preparation. Never a bad idea to be prepared.

And I'm hearing reports of more "mad cow disease" in California - obvious code for a new zombie outbreak. Be vigilant, people!

Have you watched The Walking Dead? The CDC fails.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    mine's more of a survival lock box
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I dont see the point. I cant run and will be the first to die in any zombie attack! lol
  • honeyrunner
    Options
    My niece is all into the "doomsday preppers" stuff and finally nagged me into at least getting some emergency supply kits to keep in the car. I found some <a href="http://disasterbugout.com/4-person-survival-kit-deluxe/">earthquake disaster kits on sale</a>, so that made me happy too. I live near earthquake country so I guess I should be a little more prepared for an earthquake but I don't know about the whole zombie thing.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    If you call having 6 months of food stocked away, lots of guns and ammo, hundreds of gallons of water, multiple bug-out bags, and evacuation routes out of the city already mapped out, "prepared", then I guess I'm prepared. :wink:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Eh, if I am going to die anyway, I might as well just turn myself over peacefully and ask them to be gentle.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Time is short {will read and properly respond later}
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you call having 6 months of food stocked away, lots of guns and ammo, hundreds of gallons of water, multiple bug-out bags, and evacuation routes out of the city already mapped out, "prepared", then I guess I'm prepared. :wink:

and I am gonna use google earth to find his house...so yup I am prepared!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

+1
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    The problem with this topic is people know "zombies" are only in the movies, so they don't think they need to plan for anything. Reality has given us lots of reasons to plan for the unknown - Hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, long-term power outages, plagues, droughts, and more. Your typical grocery store only holds about 3 days worth of food for your area. In the event of a major power outage, you will be stuck with what's in your house - no stores to go to, gas stations don't work, phones don't work, toilets won't work, and so on.

There's nothing wrong with being prepared to stay put for a week of isolation.

And don't even get me started about the horrors of what some people can do when they're desperate. Hurricane Katrina has lots of learning lessons about that topic.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I don't need to outrun the zombies. I just need to outrun you.